Lower Price: M39s from Classic

$450 for a damaged Mosin?  I'm just not that big of a fan.  There are a boat load of better guns out there for that kind of money.  They were cool when they were $70 and a spam can with 440 rounds was $80.  Those days are gone.  Mosins are the bottom of the barrel and crude, I'f I'm going to pay what it costs to shoot them I'm going to shoot something that I enjoy more. 

• Like 2

$450 for a damaged Mosin?  I'm just not that big of a fan.  There are a boat load of better guns out there for that kind of money.  They were cool when they were $70 and a spam can with 440 rounds was $80.  Those days are gone.  Mosins are the bottom of the barrel and crude, I'f I'm going to pay what it costs to shoot them I'm going to shoot something that I enjoy more. 

M39's are not crude, Russian peasant rifles.  They have always been a couple hundred more than Ivan's basic Izhevsk manufactured in the untold millions.

That being said, Classic bought out the only known supply of them and have jacked the prices.  If they reduced the price by $100 to $350 that is still a bitter pill to swallow for something with a damaged stock.  Light rusting is easy to fix but I image that also means a good deal of the original finish may be gone.  A damaged stock, on the other hand, can be a nightmare.  You either fix it or do without.  There are no replacements.

Edited by Garufa

M39's are not crude, Russian peasant rifles.  They have always been a couple hundred more than Ivan's basic Izhevsk manufactured in the untold millions.

That being said, Classic bought out the only known supply of them and have jacked the prices.  If they reduced the price by $100 to $350 that still a bitter pill to swallow for something with a damaged stock.  Light rusting is easy to fix but I image that also means a good deal of the original finish may be gone.  A damaged stock, on the other hand, can be a nightmare.  You either fix it or do without.  There are no replacements.

Good to know I was wondering if there was something special about them.  I'm fairly knowledgeable on Mosins, I had heard of the M39 but did not know that they were "special," not to that extent anyway. 

Here's what makes the M39s special.  The good folks in Finland took the Russian Mosin design and perfected it.  At least that is my opinion.  My Mosin 91/30 is rough.  My Sako M39 is a very nice rifle.

Also, Classic's prices on the M39s are less than any one else I have seen.  

Good to know I was wondering if there was something special about them.  I'm fairly knowledgeable on Mosins, I had heard of the M39 but did not know that they were "special," not to that extent anyway. 

There are many who consider virtually all of them "special" in one way or another ...

Good to know I was wondering if there was something special about them. I'm fairly knowledgeable on Mosins, I had heard of the M39 but did not know that they were "special," not to that extent anyway.

The Finns took captured Russian M91's and basically rebuilt them using only the receiver, bolt, and maybe a few bits of the internals to create the M39. They even modified the magazines to alleviate rim lock.

Very accurate rifles with kind of a neat history.

My first had an 1899 Russian made receiver. The one I have now has a Remington receiver. Remington made a couple hundred thousand M91's for the Tsar around 1916.

They are the manliest of Mosins.
  • Like 1

True what the Finns did to make the m39 is far better than any 91/30.  However this batch from Classic is most prolly all the returns from the last  PR fiasco they had just a few short months ago. 

If you did not know about the differences with the M39 you are not "fairly knowledgeable about Mosins".

Edited by pcrc11

I'm going to push back a little on the comments that pricing is high on these guns.  I think these are a great deal at $350, even with a cracked stock of light rust.

The price seems high if you were into C&R guns when these sold for $70 or $80, though times have changed.  My M39, which was $420 just as nice as my really nice K98 and 1903 A3.

I'm going to push back a little on the comments that pricing is high on these guns.  I think these are a great deal at $350, even with a cracked stock of light rust.

The price seems high if you were into C&R guns when these sold for $70 or $80, though times have changed.  My M39, which was $420 just as nice as my really nice K98 and 1903 A3.

If not better. I would be willing to bet the Finns spent more time trying to build a quality gun, then the Germans or we did just mass producing K98's or 03A3's. The Swiss and Nordic countries took markmanship much more seriously than most.