Trout fishing in Middle Tennessee

I have been thinking about getting into Trout fishing from what i can tell there are quite a few opportunities in middle Tennessee so who does it and help me with the low down on the finer points to the sport
Thanks in advance

Are you just looking to catch the species or are you interested in Fly Fishing?

I can give you tips on both just need a direction to go

Both would be great just want to try fishing for trout first then maybe fly later on once i figure out the in's and out's of the fishery like where and when

Both would be great just want to try fishing for trout first then maybe fly later on once i figure out the in's and out's of the fishery like where and when

Ok so for general trout fishing the two main rivers to focus on would be the Caney Fork and Elk. They hold trout year round. There are other stock rivers like the Harpeth but the fish will likely die on the summer when water temps get high.

I would start with medium light tackle spinning rod with various colored rooster tails. I've had best luck with the trout colored ones. The best option would be to fish with live shiners. That's what the big trout are eating. But that can be an extra pain to deal with. Anything that simulates minnows or shad can catch trout.

Focus on bank edges and tails of riffles where trout are sitting catching food coming down stream. Spoons/rooster tails can work in deep pools as well just focus on shaded areas in hot weather.

With spinning tackle you can generally avoid wading but it might help to access larger areas of the rivers.
  • Like 1
Fly Fishing is a different beast altogether. You are trying to figure out what the fish are eating, what level of water they're eating them in (top, middle, bottom) and trying to imitate that bug without scarring the fish. Most trout eat bugs under the surface of the water hatching from the bottom and traveling to the top to eventually fly off. So a lot of fly fishing is focusing under water. Catching fish on dry flies on top of the water is great fun but is only mostly effective when the tout are feeding on top. This is hard to predict so you fish under water until you see fish feeding on top then target those fish. Some purists fish only dry flies, and you can often stimulate trout into eating dry flies but that's just a gamble. I prefer to catch more trout than be considered a purist so I fish nymphs underwater.

The best advice I can give is to watch YouTube videos of begging fly fishing. They help a ton. Or I can take you out and show you. It's kind of hard to explain in words. Anyone looking to learn can gain a lot from biting the bullet and hire a guide for one day. It will change the way you fish.

Of all the rooster tails I have fished for trout over the years the smallest pink one you can find will be the ticket most times on light tackle 6lb line max. Son N Law fishes the Caney religiously and always has trout in their freezer and that is hs go to bait.............jmho

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2

Most trout stocking locations will be running dry. The Best place to catch trout now is the Caney below Center hill. On Low water you can wade a good bit of the river. I fish it out of a kayak with either jerk baits for brown trout or trout magnets on 2lb test line with a fluorocarbon leader for rainbows. Hit up leland lures for line, rod and lures. You will want a long rod for such light line and a reel with a good drag.

Most trout stocking locations will be running dry. The Best place to catch trout now is the Caney below Center hill. On Low water you can wade a good bit of the river. I fish it out of a kayak with either jerk baits for brown trout or trout magnets on 2lb test line with a fluorocarbon leader for rainbows. Hit up leland lures for line, rod and lures. You will want a long rod for such light line and a reel with a good drag.

I haven't fished in years, but that's where we'd trout fish. If you waited until daylight to show up, you were late. That location got crowded pretty fast.
  • Like 1
I fish the Elk most weeks throughout the year.
Tim's Ford Dam & Farris Creek Bridge (both between Lynchburg & Winchester) are loaded down with stocked browns & rainbows. Mostly in the 6-10" range.
If you want bigger fish, you really need to get away from easy access locations as these are horribly overfished.
The Duck River near Cortland mill & at Normandy dam are also great year round locations, again, for stocked fish.
I only fish tenkara or fly fish, so I can't comment on gear, other than ultralight is the way to go. I fish a 3wt floating line with 7x tippet (2.2lb) on a furled leader & usually some pattern of emerger (soft hackle) in a size 18 to 14
My Tenkara rig is a 13' Fountainhead 390 (7:3 action) with a 12' field mainline & 1.8lb fluorocarbon tippet, again fishing a soft hackle or Daiichi fly.

Stocking on the Elk & Duck happen pretty much year round & if you just want to catch trout, it's very, very easy. If you're looking for a trophy, well, it can be done but it's work. Buy good waders & be prepared to hike a mile or two. The 'rooster tailers' generally stay where the access is easy & exercise isn't required ;)
If you have a canoe, a float from Tim's to Farris Creek is the way to get into bigger average fish. It's about an 8 mile float, so plan for a full day & you'll need either a pick-up or bring a buddy.
  • Like 1