Turkey Creek in Knoxville

Guest hustle

I don't know how true this is. I got it in an email from my father-in-law. This is supposed to be from two ladies that work with him in Oak Ridge.

This came from one of our employees here at BJC. Take note!

This is scary-everyone be very careful. Below are two different occurrences at Turkey Creek.

Same thing happened to Jami the other night at Target...Except he didn't pull behind her in a car....she was actually bending over in her trunk to put some she bought in...the guy tapped her on the shoulder and asked if she had any money to spare...

( I'm sending this primarily to folks that might go to the Turkey Creek Wal-Mart, so feel free to forward to anyone else.)

Friday night, a friend of mine from church left the Turkey Creek Wal-Mart around 10:30. When she got to her car, another car pulled up behind her, blocking her. The man stopped his engine and got out of his car. He told her he needed her money. When she told him she didn't have any, he asked her how she'd bought what she had (she responded "credit card" ). She found a dollar in her pocket and threw it in his direction, then jumped in her car and locked the doors.

Just be very careful out there and be aware of your surroundings. Guys, tell your wives and daughters!"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, this time of year especially is when the theives come out in full force. They love Walmarts too! Be careful ladies, and watch your purse at all times! Never let your gaurd down....even if someone approaches you that appears nice and "normal"....don't believe it! It's sad to say, but you just can't trust anyone.

Absolutely! I had my purse stolen with my gun in it a couple years ago at Walmart, by a married couple (only know that because they were eventually caught)....the woman distracted me and the man took my purse. I turned out to be one of five women they did that to before they got caught.

Guest Natosha
Natosha, Did you trade/sell you're Glock 26 for your LCP?

yep I sold my glock. I never carried it so I didn't see a reason to have it. I just didn't feel comfortable with it. I did get my LCP back today. :) Now I need to test it out, since I haven't yet. :)

Guest shadow12
Maybe it was the thought of Glockbutt.

You just need one thing to beat Glock Butt, The same thing everyone should have for every gun. A straight trigger finger. I R A GenieAss.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dr. Pepper

Is it really fair to say, "Don't carry your gun in your purse"?

First of all, we carry our money in our purse. No one is going around condemning the use of purses for money or other valuables. I think the problem here is laziness. Some people tell women to carry a gun in a fanny pack, of all things. How many people actually USE fanny packs? I never see any. I did in the late 80s and early 90s, but they seem to have dissolved into obscurity as a viable way to carry anything (unless you're a European tourist :drama:). I guess there are some women who carry their money in their bra or wherever, but I've never personally known any, and I'm no spring chicken (depending on your perspective). I say the problem is laziness because I have seen loads of women when they're shopping leave their purses in their carts. It's easier. The purse is heavy, etc.

If the choice is to carry a gun in your purse because that's what you have, or not carry at all, wouldn't everyone rather a woman carry her gun in her purse? I would. Now, the caveat there is that I think it's a bad idea to just let the gun swim around in the purse willy nilly. That might be dangerous. Holster it, please.

I keep my gun in my purse and I carry my purse across my chest. If someone's going to steal it from me, they're going to have to beat me up to get it (and in that case a fanny pack isn't going to help me). My gun is secured inside its own pocket in holster that covers the trigger.

Sorry for the rant. :) Maybe this topic deserves it's own thread? Purse or no purse? Or maybe it's been covered a million times already and I missed it. I wonder if there are other women who defy the No Purse rule and are just afraid to say so?

Is it really fair to say, "Don't carry your gun in your purse"?

Yes. I will say that for the exact reasons you mentioned. Most women leave their purses sitting in carts, cars, or don't practice any type of retention with it.

Granted there are exceptions to the rule, but unless you practice drawing from your purse, practice EXCEPTIONAL situational awareness, and hold on to that thing like you would your baby in a hurricane purse carry is not a good way to go.

Is it better than nothing? Of course. I think purse carry is just another thing that kinda stereotypes female shooters. Just because you gotta lug that thing around doesn't mean you gotta throw the gun in there too. Get a nice IWB holster and keep on rockin' in the free world! :)

Guest Dr. Pepper
Just because you gotta lug that thing around doesn't mean you gotta throw the gun in there too. Get a nice IWB holster and keep on rockin' in the free world! :D

Are you following me, Punisher? :drama::D

I lug the bag (not really a purse) BECAUSE of the gun. IWB doesn't work for me, unless I want to start dressing like a hoodlum or something. Have you seen the clothes they design for women? Ha ha. Not to say I'm a victim of fashion or something. I could wear it under my shirt, but that's tough to draw from without flashing everyone.

Good food for thought. BTW, haven't heard any recent incidences of WOMEN accidentally shooting themselves with their carry weapon. Is accidentally shooting yourself with your own gun stereotypical of male shooters? :)

Guest gunslinger707
Are you following me, Punisher? :D :D

I lug the bag (not really a purse) BECAUSE of the gun. IWB doesn't work for me, unless I want to start dressing like a hoodlum or something. Have you seen the clothes they design for women? Ha ha. Not to say I'm a victim of fashion or something. I could wear it under my shirt, but that's tough to draw from without flashing everyone.

Good food for thought. BTW, haven't heard any recent incidences of WOMEN accidentally shooting themselves with their carry weapon. Is accidentally shooting yourself with your own gun stereotypical of male shooters? :D

Nope and they would'nt admit it if they did ;) Women are never WRONG just ask my wife of 44 yrs.:D:D:D:D

Are you following me, Punisher? :stalk::D

Good food for thought. BTW, haven't heard any recent incidences of WOMEN accidentally shooting themselves with their carry weapon. Is accidentally shooting yourself with your own gun stereotypical of male shooters? :devil:

LOL Manner of dress does have alot to do with it. Of course if you flash the perp while drawing it might give you an edge. :shrug:

And yes shooting ourselves accidentally is a male stereotype. All the cool kids are doing it. :D

Guest Dr. Pepper
Just those males with Glocks.

- OS

Ha ha. Last one I heard about it was a Kahr, and Steve Gill, who read the article on talk radio, has apparently never heard of a Kahr. But he went on to advise carriers not to "keep one in the pipe." Thanks Steve.

Guest Dr. Pepper
Nope and they would'nt admit it if they did :devil: Women are never WRONG just ask my wife of 44 yrs.:shrug::D:D:D

And if they did they'd stitch it up themselves WHILE making dinner AND folding the laundry AND mowing the lawn. :stalk:

LOL Manner of dress does have alot to do with it. Of course if you flash the perp while drawing it might give you an edge.

Well he might think it was an invitation.....guess I need to figure out a new way to carry. Maybe I'll start wearing sport coats everywhere a la Miami Vice. Tailored sports coats. For women. And then I can use a shoulder holster. Those are so hot.

Well he might think it was an invitation.....guess I need to figure out a new way to carry. Maybe I'll start wearing sport coats everywhere a la Miami Vice. Tailored sports coats. For women. And then I can use a shoulder holster. Those are so hot.

Miami Vice you say? Shoulder holster you say? Hot you say? Well I do declare...:devil:

I think you should definitely keep "one in the pipe" but thats a whole different discussion. I think you ladies should definitely practice a good iwb carry because the purse is usually a thiefs target...that being said one in the purse is much better then none at all and I commend you ladies that do carry. Im still working on getting the gf ok with the idea....least she has pepper spray.

Guest mikedwood
I think you should definitely keep "one in the pipe" but thats a whole different discussion. I think you ladies should definitely practice a good iwb carry because the purse is usually a thiefs target...that being said one in the purse is much better then none at all and I commend you ladies that do carry. Im still working on getting the gf ok with the idea....least she has pepper spray.

Maybe if you would try her on a smaller gun. That Saiga 12 is extremely heavy and I don't know if a purse out there it would fit in.

Guest shadow12

Just an update to the original post,

A couple of days ago, a lady came by the PD, she is a friend of one of our records clerks, she was telling the clerk about how she got mugged at West Town Mall.

She had just pur her child in the car and was geting in herself when a man came to her door, hit her a couple of times and took her rings, purse and yanked her necklace off of her. She said," I had pepper spray but it was on my keychain and it was in the ignition, so I couldn't get to it."

I tried to talk to her about situational awareness, but she just sort of brushed me off, like it was just her time. When I mentioned a gun she about spazzed, she was afraid she might have shot the guy. I commend you ladies that carry on a regular basis, you are to be looked up to. My wife was worried about carrying for a long time. After she figured out what my job was really like, she now carries everywhere.

YOU GO GIRLS.