changing caliber on an sbr

AR? Just swap the upper... No forms required. Only issue I could see is if you didn't engrave caliber on a "multi" marked lower, barrel markings count for required caliber marking. All my AR SBR's are marked or engraved with caliber that was on Form1 on lower receiver.

Any permanent changes just write a letter stating what you did.  Keep a copy and note when it was mailed/sent.  You can also fax to the WV branch.  There is no form.  One of the few things they "ask" you to do but very few actually do it.  I personally wouldn't worry but if it makes you feel better a letter is all you can do.

• Like 2

Any permanent changes just write a letter stating what you did.  Keep a copy and note when it was mailed/sent.  You can also fax to the WV branch.  There is no form.  One of the few things they "ask" you to do but very few actually do it.  I personally wouldn't worry but if it makes you feel better a letter is all you can do.

I want to swap it to a .300 blk, vs .223. The reason I am asking about the letter is so I don't have to keep a .223 upper around "just in case". The stamp has 5.56 on it, and I didn't want any grief if I were asked to see the stamp by someone who matters. This particular lower says .223/5.56 and not "multi".

So the "SBR" isn't just the receiver? You can't simply swap uppers as you wish?

My understanding of this is yes, as long as you keep an upper in the caliber/barrel length you got the stamp for. I am not wanting to keep a short barreled upper in .223 around if I am not going to use it.

I want to swap it to a .300 blk, vs .223. The reason I am asking about the letter is so I don't have to keep a .223 upper around "just in case". The stamp has 5.56 on it, and I didn't want any grief if I were asked to see the stamp by someone who matters. This particular lower says .223/5.56 and not "multi".

They no longer allow MULTI on NFA..

ATF "recommends" you notify them of any permanent change to configuration... as stated above, it's one of the very few "ask/recommendations" as opposed to the many "shall" statements.   If you know you will NEVER put a 223 back on and it will FOREVER be a 300 blk out, then write the letter stating you are changing the permanent caliber to 300 Blk Out ... send a copy of the letter and a copy of your form 1.  They will (usually do but may not) eventually send you a letter thanking you. 

Permanent is a very rare word though in the AR world especially .. I wouldn't worry with a letter IMHO .. in the 30 years I've been around this stuff I have never seen anyone get any hassle from anyone over running a different caliber or barrel length on any stamped form .. furthermore, on the 300 blk out, it's only the barrel that is different... 1/1000 wouldn't ever catch that ... you'd more than likely even have to pull a loaded mag to tell it was a different caliber.

I even stopped bringing my 300s to shoots because they look so much like a 223s/5.56s I'm afraid folks would eventually grab the wrong mags. 

If you have the form 1 in hand, get the 300, sell or swap the 223.. don't sweat it.  

• Like 1

I sent a message to the ATF regarding changes and what is required. My issue was the length did not match and I was told as long as the serialized part was registered that I would not find myself in any hot water.

I will see if I can dig up the email and post it.

I had the same question and they told me that the stamp approval made the former pistol an SBR - caliber and length was simply a matter of numbers on the paperwork.

In other words - Changing the caliber and it still was an SBR - which is what it is registered as.
  • 2 weeks later...

They no longer allow MULTI on NFA..

ATF "recommends" you notify them of any permanent change to configuration... as stated above, it's one of the very few "ask/recommendations" as opposed to the many "shall" statements.   If you know you will NEVER put a 223 back on and it will FOREVER be a 300 blk out, then write the letter stating you are changing the permanent caliber to 300 Blk Out ... send a copy of the letter and a copy of your form 1.  They will (usually do but may not) eventually send you a letter thanking you. 

Permanent is a very rare word though in the AR world especially .. I wouldn't worry with a letter IMHO .. in the 30 years I've been around this stuff I have never seen anyone get any hassle from anyone over running a different caliber or barrel length on any stamped form .. furthermore, on the 300 blk out, it's only the barrel that is different... 1/1000 wouldn't ever catch that ... you'd more than likely even have to pull a loaded mag to tell it was a different caliber.

I even stopped bringing my 300s to shoots because they look so much like a 223s/5.56s I'm afraid folks would eventually grab the wrong mags. 

If you have the form 1 in hand, get the 300, sell or swap the 223.. don't sweat it.

When I did my engraving, I did not get my lower engraved with the caliber. The barrel is engraved. Doesn't this meet the requirements per Chapter 6 of the NFA handbook?