You know what really sucks?

Opening your smoker and it burst into flames while it's sitting right next to your brand new camper.

We went camping at Cedars or Lebanon this weekend in 30-40 degree weather. My group decided that they wanted smoked brisket for Saturday's dinner, so I brought my Bradley smoker along with us. I smoked this very large brisket for a total of 10 hours. For the first 8 hours the temperature didn't go beyond 200 degrees because of the outside temperature. At hour 9 the temp was at 250 degrees, which didn't bother me considering the size of the brisket. At hour 10 I noticed that the thermometer was pegged, and when I opened the door it burst into flames in a back draft style. I'm really surprised that I didn't get burned since I have to lean over to open the door, (I'm 6'4"). I know that you don't use water on a grease fire, but the hose connected to the trailer was all that I thought that I had since I forgot about the fire extinguisher inside the door to the camper. By the time I disconnected the hose and got the fire out the smoke box was destroyed. Fortunately, the camper was unharmed, so I dodged the bigger bullet. But the smoke box insulation and plastic was destroyed.

Very glad you were not injured and the only damage was to the fire box. I'm guessing the Brisket was well done also. A buddy of mine keeps a close eye on his when he is using it and if the temps begin to go up for no reason he does do a check on it. He has had a few similar issues but nnot as bad as yours.........again, glad no one was hurt and camper is ok............................... :up: 

Edited by bersaguy

Very glad you were not injured and the only damage was to the fire box. I'm guessing the Brisket was well done also. A buddy of mine keeps a close eye on his when he is using it and if the temps begin to go up for no reason he does do a check on it. He has had a few similar issues but nnot as bad as yours.........again, glad no one was hurt and camper is ok............................... :up: 

Actually, the brisket turned out fine. There was enough fat on it to protect the meat. Everyone liked it, so it wasn't a complete negative experience. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I was at the Group Lodge out at Cedars this weekend with a church group.  The wind was pretty crazy out there on Saturday.  I can see where it might have caused problems.

They say you're supposed to burp your smoker at higher temperatures.  Here's why I guess...

Glad you came through it okay!

Just heard back from Bradley Smokers. Although they clearly state that they do not warranty grease fires, they are sending me a new box at no charge. :)

So, as soon as all the hair grows back, you came out of it with a good story and a new smoker. Good job :)

So, as soon as all the hair grows back, you came out of it with a good story and a new smoker. Good job :)

I know your joking, but I'm really surprised that not even hair was burned. Maybe it's because I trim my eyebrows so the I don't get Leonid Brezhnev eyebrows. It sucks how hair grows wild when you get older. :(