1995 K1500 transmission went out just now

Well, I got my first NFA stamp yesterday so a kick in the nuts was necessary after the high I was on I guess. Pulled out of my wife's work this morning after a normal drive of 15 miles with everything fine. Wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Pulled over turned off key, restarted and manually shifted to 2nd but would not go to 3rd or OD. Also speedometer staying on zero?

Check TCM fuse

I read that 95 has PCM not a TCM or ECM. I am thinking this diagnosis is above my head and will probably take it to a shop to check issues before dropping 2,000 or complete rebuild.

VSS seems to have been a lot of guys issue so may try that first Edited by rugerla1

For what its worth,Ive been an ASE master certified technition for 15 years.

All this computer crap is Greek to me, so everything I posted is either what happened to me or what I read on forums trying to soak up information. I'm not trying to correct anyone, I'm asking. So hope you didn't take it as me saying "Nope, this right" because I don't have a clue. I'm sure missing square body's and 500 dollar rebuilds right now.

I've heard issues being VSS, wiring to VSS, ignition, ground wire, brake fuse, and ten other things I can't remember. I'm still soaking in that the speedometer can cause my trans to not shift lol. Anyway, thanks for everyone's help and suggestions, I really do appreciate them.

I didn't take it as a snub or any ways offensive. I was just letting you know I wasn't pulling out of left field. I'm always available for help, let me know if I can.

Good deal, was hoping I didn't sound like a smartass. Thanks for the offer as well. I think I may try to swap out the VSS myself since it's easy and cheap and see if that fixes anything, then go from there. The truck is in really good shape and is worth putting the money I to fixing. If it was junk I'd trash it and start over.

Get an estimate of what it might cost and then I will get in touch with my son and see what he thinks. He builds transmissions for a living and there has been a few folks here that have had him work on their vehicles and all seemed pleased with his work and prices. I am a 35 year Retired ASE Master Mechanic and to me it does sound like something electronic and not a hard part inside the Tranny like Torque Converter, pump or clutches. They will give you a warning but electronic sensors give zero warning before they go bad.................just my :2cents: worth

• Like 1

Get an estimate of what it might cost and then I will get in touch with my son and see what he thinks. He builds transmissions for a living and there has been a few folks here that have had him work on their vehicles and all seemed pleased with his work and prices. I am a 35 year Retired ASE Master Mechanic and to me it does sound like something electronic and not a hard part inside the Tranny like Torque Converter, pump or clutches. They will give you a warning but electronic sensors give zero warning before they go bad.................just my :2cents: worth

Thanks Bersa, I appreciate it. I agree with you as well. I definitely feel better than I did this morning when I thought it had blown up. Of course sometimes chasing electrical issues can be more of a pain than just rebuilding.

I read that 95 has PCM not a TCM or ECM. I am thinking this diagnosis is above my head and will probably take it to a shop to check issues before dropping 2,000 or complete rebuild.
VSS seems to have been a lot of guys issue so may try that first

What motor and trans do you have?

Check your fuses under the hood. Also check the cable on the throttle body to trans, to see if it's unhooked too.

Like said before, you have a signal problem.
Update guys:
I went to O'Reilly this morning, the first chance I've had since the tow. Picked up the VSS for 90 bucks. I had a little sticker shock since it's the size of a spark plug. But it's not the price of a rebuild so I'm good with that.
Jacked up the truck, changed it out and dropped back on its tires. Drive around the neighborhood one time and it shifted every single gear as it should!!! Now I'm not counting ALL my chickens as I haven't fully tested it. But I'm very happy, said my thank you prayer and I'm off to drive it back to O'Reilly for some windshield wiper blades. It's a road test and also my passenger blade looks like I'm fishing for bass. Thanks so much for everyone's help and I'll post back up after the road trip!
  • Like 3

Thanks 1fast4by! I can't even tell you how nervous I was when I pulled out of the driveway. I made it back from the store. Took the long route around Smyrna to see how it did. I'm so happy right now!

Another reason why TGO is awesome. No matter what your problem, somebody here will be able to help you fix it.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, another update, late but an update nonetheless. It drove fine on my weekend test drives. Drove it to work last Monday morning with zero issues. Started it up after work, put in drive, made it 20 or so feet and speedo dropped to zero and motor revved up. I let off the gas for a second thinking "Oh $&#*!" and speedo picked back up and drove all the way home normal.
So, instead of letting it happen again far from home like the first time, I went back to the drawing board reading and reading more in the 4x4 forums. Ignition switch seemed to be the next most common fix when VSS wasn't the culprit. I've never changed one and the VERY few videos online didn't show much or explain much. Anyhow, I dug into it and 5 hours later working with a headlamp I use for hunting, I almost had the old one out lmao. Yeah, I was not going fast because I didn't want to tear anything else up while I was at it. There's not much room to maneuver and torx/reverse torx tools needed. O'Reillys had the AC Delco switch for $210+tx but I figured I wasn't needing it immediately so Amazon fixed me up for $115 and picked up a GM ignition switch torx socket as well. I finally got it put back together tonight and drove city and interstate totalling about 20 miles to test it. I really hope this was the problem and don't even care that I probably replaced a good VSS, keeps me from having to do it later I guess.
The only thing goofy now is the voltmeter seems to drop some randomly. I don't think the battery being unplugged for a week would have anything to do with that? But also don't think new ignition switch would have caused it either. Maybe just coincidence or I fixed one problem, exposing a short somewhere else, not sure. I'll probably look up where all the grounds are located on this model truck and check them.
Anyhow, keeping y'all updated and will let you know how it goes tomorrow. Edited by rugerla1

The ignition switch would not have caused the speedo to drop and motor to revve up. The ignition switch would have killed the engine. Let me ask you a question. Has the Check Engine light came on or flickerd and then gone back off at all. If you problem is anything related to a sensor of any type that is controlled to the electronic system of the truck that Check engine light should eiter come on and stay on or come on and stay a few seconds and then may go back off. Even if only on a few seconds it will put a code in the computer that caused the light to come on. Oreilly's will scan the computer for you for free. Find out what codes the computer throws out and it may help you narrow down your problem...............jmho

My offer is still open if you want me to ask my son what he thinks.

Update guys:
I went to O'Reilly this morning, the first chance I've had since the tow. Picked up the VSS for 90 bucks. I had a little sticker shock since it's the size of a spark plug. But it's not the price of a rebuild so I'm good with that.
Jacked up the truck, changed it out and dropped back on its tires. Drive around the neighborhood one time and it shifted every single gear as it should!!! Now I'm not counting ALL my chickens as I haven't fully tested it. But I'm very happy, said my thank you prayer and I'm off to drive it back to O'Reilly for some windshield wiper blades. It's a road test and also my passenger blade looks like I'm fishing for bass. Thanks so much for everyone's help and I'll post back up after the road trip!

Had this issue happen to two of the 3 rams 1500's I have owned. Never had this happen to my 99 silverado 1500 (new body style). Shorty after that, I went with manuals.  So much easier to diagnose the problems and worse case, takes maybe two hours to replace a clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing and anything as such. Even my new 2016 Mazda 3 is a six speed manual.