Help with Lee .223 Die

I have been using a Lee Hand Press to reload 9mm for a few months now, and today I decided that I would try .223.  I got the Lee Pacesetter .223 3-die set.  I am using the Lee resizing lube that came with the hand press kit.

The instructions state that the decapper should fit flush with the end of the nut.  However, every time I use it after setting it flush, the first case will cause the decapper to protrude about 2 mm from the nut.  It will still decap the primers, and will continue to work on subsequent cases.  Each time that I have loosened the nut to reset the decapper, it takes a lot of force (two wrenches and a vice clamp), and when I reset it and tighten it, I am making it as tight as possible.  I literally feel like I cannot torque it any tighter.  Yet, with just a moderate amount of force, the first press will push the end of the decapper out as it decaps the primer.  

It feels like the collet just cannot get tight enough around the decapper.  I cleaned everything to make sure there was not lube or oil allowing it to slide, but it still happens.  It also does not move any farther than than the initial protrusion.

Does anyone think that not being flush will be an issue?  I figure if it is decapping the primer, the pin must be going far enough into the case, but I wonder if there could be a problem resizing the last 2 mm at the base or possibly affecting the shoulder?  My calipers are not detecting a significant difference between the resized cases and an unfired cartridge.  I have emailed Lee, but I suspect it will be a day or two before I will hear from them.

Another question:  do you trim the cases before or after cleaning (assuming you are depriming and resizing before cleaning)?

As long as the shell holder touches the die and the decapper removes the primer all is good. I do not think my pin was flush either.

If the brass has hit the ground you really should clean them before sizing. All it takes is a grain of sand to ruin your dies.

Those that want to deprime the brass before cleaning should get a dedicated decapper that ONLY removed the primer without touching the brass.

These are my steps:
Clean (either with a tumbler or Lemishine)
Apply case lube
Size and deprime
Trim
Clean off case lube (either with a tumbler or Lemishine)
Prime
Load

The only variation is I neck size and bump the shoulder as two different steps. This helps the brass last 2x-3x longer. I also chamfer and debur the flash hole.

Not planning on doing much rifle for now.  I got the hand press to see if reloading was for me.  I can make enough 9mm to replace what I use.

Reloading for rifle with a hand press, while tedious, might be a welcome distraction in the dark months of winter after November.  In other words, even with a slow rate of reloading, it is much easier (and cheaper) to store primers, powder, and bullets.  I have been saving brass since the ammo disappeared after Sandy Hook.  Also, I have rigged the hand press so that it is semi-stationary, which reduces fatigue.

Shell holder definitely touches the die.  I was thinking it would be easier to clean with an open primer hole.  That is how I have been doing 9mm.  I shoot almost exclusively, so maybe I have been lucky since the shells are much less likely to get dirty on a concrete floor.

Edited by dawgdoc
  • Like 1

The decapper should just protrude from the bottom of the case, you are probably too deep in the case.  What you are experiencing is actually a feature I like about Lee sizing dies, less bent/broken decapping pins.

• Like 3

The decapper should just protrude from the bottom of the case, you are probably too deep in the case. What you are experiencing is actually a feature I like about Lee sizing dies, less bent/broken decapping pins.

Agreed, good design. I have pushed the decapping pin free of the collet before(berdan primer in the mix). I have also seen crimps that won't let go of the primer and have pushed the face of the primer out but still crimped in. I run my de capper about 1/8" past bottom of die. Never had a problem since.

No problem using the hand press, do it. I use one to resize and decap during winter months while I watch the tube. Have resized and deprimed 30-06 with it. Those old thighmaster commercials come to mind... Edited by Jct1911

You have to really crank that nut down tightly to keep it from slipping. Could you put your press in a vice or something?

I had the die itself clamped in a vise while using the two wrenches.

Lee rsponded today. They said as long as it doesn't rise further out, then it will be ok. They described it as adjusting itself to the case length, so basically they agree with the advice of y'all. Now I won't worry further, and hopefully make some new cartridges this weekend. I just cleaned half the cases I have (before decapping this time).
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

If you ever want me to decap and resize your brass because you have a large amount just hit me up.

Thanks for the offer.  I have actually used about a fourth of my brass so far.  I decapped and primed a bunch while watching a movie and have since turned them into cartridges.  It may be slow going, but it has met my needs so far.