I have to do something very nice for this lady. Got any ideas?

An older widow lady I've known since childhood had a lawnmower that wouldn't crank. She called her son, and he told her to just go buy a new one. She did, and asked if anyone wanted to take the old one before she GAVE it to the dealership she bought it from.

After trying to pay, and explaining there probably wasn't much wrong with it, I took it home. Sure enough, a new battery was all it needed. She knew the situation, and is quite wealthy. I don't really feel I've beat her out of anything, but I do feel I need to get her a gift card, or do something for her. She wouldn't sell it. She just wanted to give it away.

It is a Dixon zero turn. It works great now. What could I do for this lady to show my appreciation? Donation to a charity in her honor? I'm stumped.

She has four kids. I'm afraid they'd feel like I was trying to insert myself where I don't belong if I went to her house and did things like that. I thought of that, but I'm not sure how it would be taken. The donation is one of the best ideas I've seen so far for the situation. Keep em coming.

My wife will be at her daughter's house next weekend. Maybe she could feel the daughter out for ideas.

Edited by gregintenn

I'm thinking hand written thank you note and then be on the watch for when she might need help with something.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This. If she is a true southern lady she will cherish the handwritten note. My handwriting is terrible so I print the note in a nice cursive font and then sign it.

• Like 2

I like the handwritten note and maybe some flowers. 

Does she have grandkids?  Do you have little kids?   We have the sweetest little old lady for a neighbor.  She lives in a converted detached garage next to her daughter's house.  She loves my kids.  I send them over to visit Ms. Edith pretty regularly.  She beams when talking about them (and boy can she talk.... :D ), fawns all over them, and makes them cookies and such regularly.  Even though her daughter lives 100ft away, she gets lonely being by herself.  Her daughter is very nice and takes good care of her, but the daughter's husband was recently confined to a wheelchair, so she's got that to deal with too.  I do little stuff around the house for her... I fixed a lamp, hung a picture...    My point is, sometimes all they want is a little company.  5 minutes of conversation can make their day. 

• Like 2

I like the handwritten note and maybe some flowers.

Does she have grandkids? Do you have little kids? We have the sweetest little old lady for a neighbor. She lives in a converted detached garage next to her daughter's house. She loves my kids. I send them over to visit Ms. Edith pretty regularly. She beams when talking about them (and boy can she talk.... :D ), fawns all over them, and makes them cookies and such regularly. Even though her daughter lives 100ft away, she gets lonely being by herself. Her daughter is very nice and takes good care of her, but the daughter's husband was recently confined to a wheelchair, so she's got that to deal with too. I do little stuff around the house for her... I fixed a lamp, hung a picture... My point is, sometimes all they want is a little company. 5 minutes of conversation can make their day.

This is a great idea my grandmother who passed away last year on her 93rd birthday got the biggest kick out of me and my son calling her every Wednesday afternoon just to check in it made her week just talking to her for a few minutes
  • Like 2

This is a great idea my grandmother who passed away last year on her 93rd birthday got the biggest kick out of me and my son calling her every Wednesday afternoon just to check in it made her week just talking to her for a few minutes

I wish I'd done more of that with my grandmother.