Anyone else getting a Microsoft Smart Screen Warning?

You know, something just occurred to me.  Apple has only five letters.  ;)

I recently met a guy who is an IT consultant currently working on a job architecting the infrastructure at one on the large companies in Nashville that owns hospitals.

He had an Apple macbook.  I told him that he has great taste in computers.  He responded that he spends all day worrying about other peoples computers.  He got a macbook so he wouldn't have to worry about his.

I wouldn't suggest to anyone that they replace a working pc with a mac, though next time you need a computer, the macs are hard to beat.  They cost more than a pc up front, but they last much longer and they work.

And for those of us that work in the real world where a MAC can’t cut it? There is a reason PC’s own the market. biggrin.gif
  • Like 1

And for those of us that work in the real world where a MAC can’t cut it? There is a reason PC’s own the market. biggrin.gif

I'm not an IT guy but I'm guessing the lower cost of a Windows PC is a big factor along with software availability. Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 1

I'm not an IT guy but I'm guessing the lower cost of a Windows PC is a big factor along with software availability.

Neither of these arguments move me.  There are few people on TGO that couldn't have everything they want with a mac.

Larger companies are going to use pc's, though using a company issued computer for personal things like TGO isn't a good idea.

The amount of new software being developed that will run on a pc or mac is small.  Most development how is focused on web based applications that run equally well on either platform.  Even Microsoft is moving their world famous office suite to the cloud.  

Edited by Pete123

For what its worth, 2-3 months ago my Norton software alerted me to problems at TGO.  After umpteen times of alerts and my ignoring, I have not got another detection alert.  Not sure if its of any value or not. 

• Administrator

I followed Microsoft's instructions and submitted a report to them that their Safe Screen warning is erroneous.  I would go out on a limb and say that someone has reported TGO as "unsafe" as a malicious act meant to harm the community.  I'm reading reports of other gun forums experiencing the same thing.

The really fantastic part about this is that in order to file this report with them, you have to visit the site from their browser.  They do not provide a link by which to report that your safe is site from, say, Chrome or Firefox.  Really classy of Microsoft.  Hold you hostage to installing Windows 10 and using the Edge browser to fight their claim against your site.

After submitting the fact that the site is NOT malicious in any way to them, I was shown a screen that said clearing TGO is purely up to them and that the request may or may not be granted at a time of their choosing.  I honestly suspect a Class Action lawsuit to be filed against Microsoft for, in effect, harming the business interests of many web site owners, and providing very limited recourse with no guarantee of satisfaction.  If it happens, I'll gladly pile on my claim against them.

• Like 2
  • Moderators

I followed Microsoft's instructions and submitted a report to them that their Safe Screen warning is erroneous.  I would go out on a limb and say that someone has reported TGO as "unsafe" as a malicious act meant to harm the community.  I'm reading reports of other gun forums experiencing the same thing.

The really fantastic part about this is that in order to file this report with them, you have to visit the site from their browser.  They do not provide a link by which to report that your safe is site from, say, Chrome or Firefox.  Really classy of Microsoft.  Hold you hostage to installing Windows 10 and using the Edge browser to fight their claim against your site.

After submitting the fact that the site is NOT malicious in any way to them, I was shown a screen that said clearing TGO is purely up to them and that the request may or may not be granted at a time of their choosing.  I honestly suspect a Class Action lawsuit to be filed against Microsoft for, in effect, harming the business interests of many web site owners, and providing very limited recourse with no guarantee of satisfaction.  If it happens, I'll gladly pile on my claim against them.

Definitely keep us posted on this.  We may all need to report the site is safe.  

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Got a canned response from them, as I expected.  Now we wait.

Thank you for contacting us about http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php

We have received the information you have provided and are currently reviewing it. If it is determined that the current designation is incorrect or no longer accurate the warning will be removed.

We typically expect to take three business days for our investigation. During the investigation, you may not see changes to the status of your site. If the status of your site has not changed after three business days, please contact us with a reply to this message. Please include the URL address where the warning is occurring when replying.

Please note that many issues are related to iframes or other elements on the site that call or host external content. Such elements can be the result of a compromise. A close review of your source code and a complete scan with a reputable anti-virus product to ensure that any possible malware is identified and removed is suggested. Removing such references may remove the warning from your site.

You can find additional information about Microsoft SmartScreen Filter here - https://feedback.smartscreen.microsoft.com/faq.aspx.

Thank you,
Microsoft SmartScreen Filter Support

They offer a separate form to complete if you are the site owner.  I went ahead and did that, so hopefully it helps.

Thanks, David. We all , the infected and abused by Microsoft...really appreciate your help.

It appears this morning that all is good, at least here for me.

My apologies for starting another thread on it, but I couldn't stay on for more than about 5 seconds max before I gat blocked.

I've been on for about 5 minutes now, and all still seems ok. More thanks for your quick action. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Anyone getting this warning again? I just started getting the warning again tis morning.

I'm sure that once again some anti-gunner or anti-TGOer has reported us falsely.  I've got to be honest:  I have zero interest in fighting Microsoft's arbitrary, inaccurate, and apparently easily manipulated "Smart Screen" warning every time it bubbles up.  Anyone with any sense will just disable that stupid feature or use a better browser like Google Chrome or Firefox.

• Like 2

Last night I noticed that if I tried to open threads here in Exploder that I would get a Content Filter Activated from Cradlepoint with something about attempting to access a restricted website but the site is listed as staticxx.facebook,com nothing about TNGO

I can open any and all pages here in Google/Chrome with no issues...

Last night I noticed that if I tried to open threads here in Exploder that I would get a Content Filter Activated from Cradlepoint with something about attempting to access a restricted website but the site is listed as staticxx.facebook,com nothing about TNGO

I can open any and all pages here in Google/Chrome with no issues...

Found out this is on our end... Seems our IT guy came in through the internet and added a bunch of blocks that don't really work at all, all they do is make some work related site not work due to built in links...

I started getting it this week on one computer but don't get it on an older computer.

Microsoft must thinks that TGO is tame compared to the other stuff you were looking at in your old computer. Edited by I am Groot!