Glock 10mm question.....

Does anyone know if Glock (or anyone for that matter) makes a single stack, semi-compact 10mm?

Is there anything on the market in a single stack .40 that can be converted to a 10mm?

I'm having a bit of a rethink of my 'backwoods/out West' carry options. I've toted heavy .44 revolvers for long enough & I'm getting tired of hauling 3lb of steel around. I have a lovely, lightweight XDS .45, but I'm thinking that a little more 'Ooomph' couldn't hurt.

There's a bunch of 10mm 1911 offerings, and pretty much any 1911 can be converted to 10mm.  I've got a custom Colt Delta Elite right here in town if you want to try a few rounds.

SIG does the P220 in 10mm now, but I'm pretty sure only in a steel frame, so it would be just as heavy.

Finding a single-stack lightweight .40 cal with enough room in the magazine/magazine well for the 10mm is gonna be a tough one.

The guys convert XDs... they might be able to do a conversion to .460Rowland on your XDs...

https://www.460rowland.com/

Depending on budget, RIA makes a 10mm 1911 about the cost of a new Glock 20. I have seen an STI officers sized 40s&w 1911 reamed to 10mm. Dan Wesson makes a few different models including a long slide. STI has a few also.

Could also look at EAA, cz75 clones.
Like everyone else has said, EAA, Sig, 3rd gen Smiths, and the 1911 platforms are your options if you are anti-Glock. But here is the deal, most of those, with maybe the exception of the EAA are kind of limit you to mid power 10mm loads. The verdict is still out on how much a Sig can take. Most hard core 10mm fans lol myself tend to own a Glock 20 whether they are a Glock fan or not. It's about the only one who can take a steady diet of nuclear 10mm loads.

I know where there is a 6" Para 1911 10mm for sale. Edited by Patton
Just as a little background, this is purely going to be a once or twice a year carry gun. Mostly while I'm hunting out West. The XDS covers anything I could ever run into in the woods here, with any number of legs. I have some +P that I was planning on loading up for Wyoming, just in case of grizzlys (a distinct possibility where I go) but I think a 10mm would be a little more suitable. I hike a LOT in the mountains & weight is a huge factor to me. I try to stay as light as possible with all my hunting gear (I can manage 10 day's in the mountains on less than 50lb) & it seems odd to then carry a 3+ pound sidearm that I'll probably never need.
Look into the .460rowland and even the .45super. .45super is just a .45acp with a stronger case and loaded to higher velocity. .460 Rowland is a slightly longer case and even higher velocity (at commercial .44mag velocities!) but still fits in a 1911 or other .45acp magazine.

Very strong over built .45acp pistols like the HK USP and the HK45 can handle super loads from the factory, 1911s only require a stronger recoil spring.

Buffalo bore makes the ammo as well as others. Can load up to a 255 gr hard cast or maybe higher.
  • Like 1

I'm guessing it's probably not much fun to shoot with full power loads, but The S&W 329PD is 6 shots of .44mag in bout 25 ounces.

I was getting ready to recommend it. It is a little stout, actually very stout, but if you need it you will not care. It actually was not as bad as I was expecting. However, I tend to like recoil, and especially like heavy recoiling pocket guns like my 45 win mag derringer.

Glock 20 or 29 are good options.  While not as thin as a single stack, the Gen 4 frames fit good in my medium size hands.  Or you could get one of these...

No-Name-for-Leslie.jpg

Guncrafters No Name 10mm Melonite

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 3
  • Admin Team

I'm guessing it's probably not much fun to shoot with full power loads, but The S&W 329PD is 6 shots of .44mag in bout 25 ounces.

The 329PD is a great pistol, but it comes at a price.

Shoot too many full house loads and you'll be begging the bear to finish you off.

Like everyone else has said, EAA, Sig, 3rd gen Smiths, and the 1911 platforms are your options if you are anti-Glock. But here is the deal, most of those, with maybe the exception of the EAA are kind of limit you to mid power 10mm loads. The verdict is still out on how much a Sig can take. Most hard core 10mm fans lol myself tend to own a Glock 20 whether they are a Glock fan or not. It's about the only one who can take a steady diet of nuclear 10mm loads.

I know where there is a 6" Para 1911 10mm for sale.

The limits of a 10mm 1911 relates to colt delta elite and the un-ramped barrel. Any of the ramped barrel 10mm 1911's(properly sprung) can take the same loads as a g20. I've shot the standard 200 at 1200 out of both and the 29.

Look into the .460rowland and even the .45super. .45super is just a .45acp with a stronger case and loaded to higher velocity. .460 Rowland is a slightly longer case and even higher velocity (at commercial .44mag velocities!) but still fits in a 1911 or other .45acp magazine.

x2. Glock 30 or xd
Well. This is a gamechanger.....

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/45-super-in-the-xd-s.208944/

I'd never even heard of .45 Super until Nightrunner mentioned it.
The gist of the thread is that it's ok to run in the diminutive XDS, just not very many & not too often. I get the impression that I probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway! Edited by robtattoo

Well. This is a gamechanger.....

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/45-super-in-the-xd-s.208944/

I'd never even heard of .45 Super until Nightrunner mentioned it.
The gist of the thread is that it's ok to run in the diminutive XDS, just not very many & not too often. I get the impression that I probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway!

I have heard of handloaders loading the .45super to dang near or at .460rowland velocities. If you handloader and don't depend on factory ammo, it makes the 10mm not so great anymore.
  • 1 month later...