Glock 10mm question.....

As much as I like the 1911 pistol platform in .45ACP and 9mmP I detested it in 10MM. The Glock 20 and 29 are functional but bulky if one suits a persons carry style and needs kudos because they're reliable. Others will extol the attributes of the E.A.A. and its like, I'll read about it. For woods walking in bear country with a powerful lighter weight handgun I'd recommend a stainless steel single action revolver with a 4 5/8 " or 5 1/2 " barrel. My preference would be a Ruger Blackhawk in ..45 Colt or .41 Magnum but you can go with a Vaquero or Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum.

I'd be looking at something like the 629PD or other revolver. 10mm autos are hard to make light as the slide velocities are very high. The manufacturer has to assume you will shoot it a lot more than you are planning to. In some things durability and weight come together or you have to look at exotic materials. 

If grizzlies are your concern I'd think a deep penetrator bullet would be important. Something like the Lehigh defense penetrator might be loaded in the 45acp/460 Rowland and work for your needs if you really want a light auto pistol. Not fun to shoot but in the time of need you won't notice. 

There you go, that barrel and some good penrtrating bullets would make a decent Rocky mtn back up gun. 

Possibly use a longer barrel in a compact frame. Not much more weight but better ballistics...

Edited by Sidecarist

Unfortunately they don't do the .400 corbon barrel for the 3.3" xds, however I ordered a couple of boxes of Underwood .45 Super ammunition. Ran a box of 20 through the gun to check for malfunctions or feed issues & other than relocating my right elbow to somewhere around my right ear.....no problems whatsoever.

Honestly, it's brutal. Definitely not something I'd want to shoot unless I had to, but it puts the little acp into the legitimate bear/moose protection category.

Oh, and I also picked up a Safariland holster & drop/offset mount so that I can comfortably & easily open carry whilst wearing a loaded pack & bino harness!

Edited by robtattoo

If a Grizzly attack is a real possibility; you need a rifle. I wouldn’t take on a bear with a handgun of any caliber. Ditch the 3 lb. handgun, get rid of 7 lbs. of other stuff and carry a 10 lb. rifle; problem solved. :)

My first choice would be a 308 AR, second would be a 45-70 lever.

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

If a Grizzly attack is a real possibility; you need a rifle. I wouldn’t take on a bear with a handgun of any caliber. Ditch the 3 lb. handgun, get rid of 7 lbs. of other stuff and carry a 10 lb. rifle; problem solved. :)

My first choice would be a 308 AR, second would be a 45-70 lever.

I agree, but sometimes rifles are cumbersome.  Our fishing guide in Alaska carried a 454 Casual Magnum. It's difficult to fish and carry a rifle too.  Maybe that was wise, maybe he was a dumbass, I don't know 

Oh, I'll be carrying my .308 too. This is for an elk hunt backup. Just in case.

I'm not concerned in the least about walking up on a bear, I'm more concerned about a bear walking up on me if I happen to find myself elbows deep in elk innards!

• Like 1