Horrible buying experience

ShamGlock

Well, I'm going to go to the well on this one. I"d like for TGO to let me know if I'm out of line here. 

I went to purchase this gun from this site:

http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.cz-dan-wesson-valor-9mm-black-duty-finish-double-diamond-g10-grey-grips

I have screenshots in case they change it later. Long story short they sent me a stainless version when the description and image is of a duty treat gun. I called the service office Saturday and was asked to wait until Monday when a manager would be in to handle this. No problem, I said I won't take ownership of the gun and we will wait to see how you want to proceed. 

Well, I spoke with the manager today, he informed me that there was a mistake on the website, that UPC code matched up to the SS version. And that if I would like they would allow me to return that gun to them, they wouldn't charge me a re-stocking fee this time, and they would send me the gun I thought I was getting...as long as I gave them another $300.  The manager then proceeds to tell me all about what an inconvenience this is for them, and how much they were going to be out for shipping and everything else. I asked him how much would he be out if I had posted this everywhere over the weekend, and how much will he be out by pissing off a customer? He then tried to re-explain to me what a favor he was doing me by not charging me the re-stocking fee. The indifference and arrogance was stunning. 

I understand mistakes are made, no problem, the issue is that from a customer service standpoint no attempt was made to rectify this. They were arrogant and could not have cared less. I'm sending the gun back and taking my money elsewhere. I will own this pistol, just not from them. 

Mostly I'm asking what y'all think, and letting you know that if you order from this company and there are issues, they will pretty much tell you to pound sand.

Thoughts? Should I have handled something differently here? 

• Like 1

No, you are not out of line and I'm glad you shared this with us.  The gun you bought is a $1400 gun.   Will they take the gun back if you don't pay an additional $300 for another gun.

If so, I would do that.  If not, I would challenge this with the credit card company as a somewhat fraudulent transaction.  You didn't get what you paid for and they need to take it back no questions asked.

Also, before returning it, I would make them agree in writing to the terms of the return.  

I would call the credit card company either way.  They don't like to get involved in these types of things and you may have to press them.

• Like 1

Have they fixed the UPC?  Errors happen, it's how they are rectified that marks good or bad customer service.  I would not pay any additional cost, it's their mistake they should incur any cost and hassle, it's not like you changed your mind or ordered the wrong weapon.

• Like 1

Have they fixed the UPC?  Errors happen, it's how they are rectified that marks good or bad customer service.  I would not pay any additional cost, it's their mistake they should incur any cost and hassle, it's not like you changed your mind or ordered the wrong weapon.

They have not. The link I posted still works as of now. This was my point also. I have no access to the UPC. It means nothing to me. As a customer I order off of the picture and description. 

For them to act as if they were doing me the world's biggest favor by not charging me a "standard 25% re-stocking fee" after I brought their mistake to their attention is what really crawled all over me. 

Petty crap like that generally indicates an outfit struggling to barely making ends meet.

I'd let the guy know you will contest charge with credit card company, and if he doesn't give you satisfaction immediately, simply cease communication with him and do it.

- OS

• Like 1

Most gun lines, stainless is always more.

- OS

This shocked me as well. They said the duty coating is a $300 price difference. The 25% restocking fee was on top of that. I did let them know that I expect a full refund, and if they refuse I will notify my credit card company. His reply "It doesn't really work like that" This was a pretty horrible buying experience all the way around. Once more reinforcing why I typically do business with my LGS. 

I've been around small business long enough to know that when these situations arise doing right by the customer is painful, but it is almost always more profitable for your business long term. 

The link takes me to their homepage. What gun did you buy?

Either way, you are right; they are wrong.

Yep, it looks like they've removed it now. Either way I've got screenshots and print offs of the page. 

I purchased a Dan Wesson 1911 chambered in 9MM. I thought I was getting the blued model they call duty treat. That was the description and picture. They sent a SS model. No big deal, I thought, just not what I wanted. Their customer service has me pretty irate at this point though. 

The link takes me to their homepage. What gun did you buy?

Either way, you are right; they are wrong.

Looks like they figured out their screwup. When I hit the link earlier it took me to the specific gun's page.

Sounds like a shady outfit.  25% restock?  That is hundreds of dollars to do what,  put it back on the shelf and add +1 to their inventory count?   Bulloney.  Then charging more for non-stainless?  More Bull. 

Man up and swap the item.  Lose a few bucks, keep a customer.

It gets worse.  I looked at their page.  The restocking fee is 25%.  There is an additional 15% fee if you opened the box.

It's almost comical.  They want you to be happy and will take the gun back if you get an RMA, but it is 25% for restocking and another 15% if you opened the box.  Yes, they will take it back and refund only 55% of what you paid.

That gun costs a lot of money.  I don't think this outfit will be able to say, 'it doesn't work like that'.  

I'm thinking there must be some kind of law here, along the lines of the following example.  If I write you a check and it bounces, you have every right to expect me to make it good.  If I don't make it good, you can have me arrested.  The more money that is involved, the more serious my bad check is.

We are talking $1400 here.

Edited by Pete123
  • Like 1

I had a long career in the retail industry. Any reputable dealer making such a mistake would own up to it and work with the customer to resolve the issue even if it cost them some lost profit. Thanks for the heads up. They are now on my "never buy from" list.

• Like 2

That link goes to a NFDN website. The business in question pays NFDN to put their name on it and for use of their inventory. Basically from what I understand the only control Mr gun guy or whatever has over a NFDN store is setting pricing. It's one of the reasons among many others I never went with them for a online storefront (oh but they did try).

Also the stainless valor is about $300 less than the other ones, fyi.

• Like 2

A lot of these online sellers have no actual inventory, they are simply picking up guns through distributors and places like Davidson's.  As such, they don't have the normal retail customer's protections or courtesies, neither do they have the cash flow to absorb the normal cost of doing business in the retail trade.  The problems you describe are fairly common in this niche of the business, and should serve as a warning that while reputable shops sometimes exact a slight premium for their services, you do in fact get service when required.  As others have advised, let your credit card company handle the problem, after all you're already paying for that protection, they have the ability to make the company feel more pain than you do ...

Sounds like a shady outfit.  25% restock?  That is hundreds of dollars to do what,  put it back on the shelf and add +1 to their inventory count?   Bulloney.  Then charging more for non-stainless?  More Bull. 

Man up and swap the item.  Lose a few bucks, keep a customer.

Sounds like it's more to stop people from ordering and gun sight unseen and then deciding they don't like it when they get to the shop. It's still shitty to do. 

Yes, the Duty Treat finish is $300 more than stainless on the Dan Wesson.  I understand mistakes, can't stand the attitude though.  It was handled poorly.  Don't blame you for your course of action.  Smart not taking possession of the gun.  Let them eat the return and the gun.  Notify CC company and contest the charges.

• Like 1
On the screenshots you have, do they have a disclaimer? Something like "actual product may vary from photo" or something?

If that were the case, and the part number was correct, then I can see how they would say you are "technically" at fault. Every other piece of this whole situation is terrible on their behalf, and I hope you get it worked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It gets worse.  I looked at their page.  The restocking fee is 25%.  There is an additional 15% fee if you opened the box.

It's almost comical.  They want you to be happy and will take the gun back if you get an RMA, but it is 25% for restocking and another 15% if you opened the box.  Yes, they will take it back and refund only 55% of what you paid.

The receiving FFL dealer is required to open the box to verify the serial number....

That link goes to a NFDN website. The business in question pays NFDN to put their name on it and for use of their inventory. Basically from what I understand the only control Mr gun guy or whatever has over a NFDN store is setting pricing. It's one of the reasons among many others I never went with them for a online storefront (oh but they did try).

Also the stainless valor is about $300 less than the other ones, fyi.

If I understand this correctly you're saying that this website basically only brokers the transaction? They don't actually have the inventory? If that's the way you want to go to market it seems that they should be willing to accept some of the risks associated with this niche.  This exact situation being a glaringly obvious negative associated with the decision to go to market this way. 

On the screenshots you have, do they have a disclaimer? Something like "actual product may vary from photo" or something?

If that were the case, and the part number was correct, then I can see how they would say you are "technically" at fault. Every other piece of this whole situation is terrible on their behalf, and I hope you get it worked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The disclaimer was buried in the terms and conditions page of the website. 

I have been issued a full refund and have instructed the FFL to return the pistol. I normally do business with my LGS and this has reinforced to me why I will do so in the future. I didn't on this one because this pistol chambered in 9MM isn't really stocked anywhere around here, and when I came across what I thought was a good deal while researching it on the web I jumped on it. 

I am working with my LGS now to get me a price on the gun I actually wanted. Lesson learned, the internet is still a box full of lies!!!!!!!