For All of You That Think You Will Head for the Mountains when the SHTF...

The 3 hours is not an issue to me driving. I made the Johnson City to Jackson run a bunch over several years. My issue relates to having the time to go there. Between work and family it is hard. Especially when the family is not supportive of this theme of thought. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This was an interesting forum a couple of years ago, before my time now here in TN.  I'd be interested in current and useful opinions, though I'm guessing nothing much has changed.   The formula seems to be, look out for yourself, period.   And actually, that makes sense.  If this SHTF stuff happens, it's really gonna be ugly.  And so sadly, you really want to be on the ugly side of ugly.  Yikes.

This thread is a good re-read. I might have to get some Jerusalem Artichokes :)

I live on top of a 40ac wooded hill with friends and family on nearby hills and valleys. I’ll stay put... I just hope I’m home if IT ever happens :eek:

we have chickens, a garden and a natural spring. The driveway is steep but still the easiest access point to the top. I need to develop our plan a little more, but I feel like we have a good start. “My hill” would be easy to defend in the winter because I can see a long way. In the summer it’s as thick as any East TN woods, so that would be challenging.

A lot of people know about our spring. It was once used by a lot of locals years ago, so it could be a bad thing if it draws attention and vistiors to our land. It is way down at the bottom of the hill under a rock cliff though, so at least our homestead area would be insulated from any traffic. It does concern me though.

11 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

This was an interesting forum a couple of years ago, before my time now here in TN.  I'd be interested in current and useful opinions, though I'm guessing nothing much has changed.   The formula seems to be, look out for yourself, period.   And actually, that makes sense.  If this SHTF stuff happens, it's really gonna be ugly.  And so sadly, you really want to be on the ugly side of ugly.  Yikes.

Sadly I agree. When SHTF you are gonna have a hard time bringing anyone into the fold because of trust. Is that 10 year old sweet little girl a plant to let murderous raiders into your camp? Do the people you let in have skills to be more than resource black holes?

Even if you are well prepared, a long term or a teotwawki scenerio will mean hunger and toil. Without access to electricity and/or mechanical assistance it will be even worse. Growing enough food to sustain even a small group will be back breaking. The days of mules and horse drawn plows are gone. The small population of animals that still exist will probably be slaughtered by the masses for food long before anyone gets far enough above water to start farming again. The woods will be hunted clean of anything bigger than a chipmunk. Stores, warehouses, cubbards, and anywhere else anything of value is stored will be looted. Sadly lots of it will be wasted as the JIT mentality have people gorge  themselves today just to starve in a week. 

I truly believe cannibalism and slavery will rise up again as the "strong" prey on others. These gangs will terrorize groups and communities in search of resources. 

Those of us with guns will have a bit of an edge if we are willing to make the hard decisions, but even reloading supplies will run out at a point. True we can make black powder and mold our old bullets, but making fresh brass? When we are back to flintlocks holding off invaders will be much different. 

I hope for everyone's sake that the fragile system holds. As much as I despise a lot of today's world, I do not want to test how I might survive when a simple cut could mean a horribly painful death due to infection.

Edited by Ronald_55
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

I think preparation for any emergency is good but the way some people talk on forums its almost like their hoping for an excuse to use their 10yrs stockpile of food and ammo lol.

Well if you invested 100k in a bunker like some of them you would want to use it. LoL

That is why on my site I try to focus people on much more probable events. Floods,  fires, tornados, hurricanes, and blizzards are much more likely to put you into a dangerous situation. EMPs, nuclear war, social breakdown, and pandemics are much less likely. The reason to keep them in mind is only because of their huge  "if they happen" consequences. No one can plan for everything. You might have a bunker and 50 years of food but get caught 75 miles away on the interstate when it happens. Or plan for an pandemic only to be hit by an EMP. 

I for one don't want to test my long term survival skills if I can help it. I am neither the most physically fit or meanest of the bunch. I don't want to gamble how far my wits will take me. That being said, I have thought on the situation and mulled over options. I have made some preparation for disasters that might befall my family. For the average person, that is about all you can do. I liken it to a marathon runner in peak shape getting hit by a bus. Sometimes it is just your time. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Well if you invested 100k in a bunker like some of them you would want to use it. LoL

That is why on my site I try to focus people on much more probable events. Floods,  fires, tornados, hurricanes, and blizzards are much more likely to put you into a dangerous situation. EMPs, nuclear war, social breakdown, and pandemics are much less likely. The reason to keep them in mind is only because of their huge  "if they happen" consequences. No one can plan for everything. You might have a bunker and 50 years of food but get caught 75 miles away on the interstate when it happens. Or plan for an pandemic only to be hit by an EMP. 

I for one don't want to test my long term survival skills if I can help it. I am neither the most physically fit or meanest of the bunch. I don't want to gamble how far my wits will take me. That being said, I have thought on the situation and mulled over options. I have made some preparation for disasters that might befall my family. For the average person, that is about all you can do. I liken it to a marathon runner in peak shape getting hit by a bus. Sometimes it is just your time. 

Here's my problem with the whole thing and why I think certain "preppers" can't see the forest for the trees...say you got your 100k bunker...and then you get cancer, have a brain aneurysm, widow maker heart attack, etc...what would help your family more a bunker they will most likely never use and a bunch of property taxes and medical bills or all that money you've spent prepping?  Also I see a lot of preppers on these forums...they wanna have stockpiles of food, ammo, etc...but they don't exercise...when your super obese and can't run for more then 5 minutes without getting winded, got diabetes, high blood pressure, etc...what the heck makes you think your gonna have long term survival...A good cardio program or treadmill should be some peoples first prep lol.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Here's my problem with the whole thing and why I think certain "preppers" can't see the forest for the trees...say you got your 100k bunker...and then you get cancer, have a brain aneurysm, widow maker heart attack, etc...what would help your family more a bunker they will most likely never use and a bunch of property taxes and medical bills or all that money you've spent prepping?  Also I see a lot of preppers on these forums...they wanna have stockpiles of food, ammo, etc...but they don't exercise...when your super obese and can't run for more then 5 minutes without getting winded, got diabetes, high blood pressure, etc...what the heck makes you think your gonna have long term survival...A good cardio program or treadmill should be some peoples first prep lol.

Survival rule #1... Cardio 

Maybe Columbus had it right. :biglol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Survival rule #1... Cardio 

Maybe Columbus had it right. :biglol:

Sequel is starting to film... And, speaking of film, 5/17/19 has been declared Mark's excellent adventure day. Going to start out shooting with a few buddies, have a good lunch and a cold beverage, then head out to see John Wick 3...

First trailer looks pretty good

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Interesting thread. My attitude with this is that I'll take what I need. 

That is one way to look at it. I figure unless it is a very fast and complete breakdown of local, state, federal and military forces there will be a time where they will continue to try and enforce "order." I think keeping my head down for a bit will keep them from deciding I look well fed and I must have some to redistribute, you know, after their cut. I might be well stocked on guns and ammo, but I don't think I want to take on the local PD even, let alone a army platoon (possibly with armored support.). After the tipping point where they give up, most that survive are not gonna be easily relieved of their goods. I also realize one concealed guy with a .270, Mosin Nagant, or .30-06 is all it takes to ruin me "gathering" supplies from other camps.

There are too many scenarios that end badly to begin with. I want a buffer to allow me to evaluate what is going on. So I stock a bit of food and supplies. Nothing huge or expensive. I don't have a bunker or armored car. I don't have a bug out location hidden away in the mountains. I just have my head in a place that keeps watch for the warning signs of the brown starting to spin around. If I have time I can add what ever looks necessary for that event. If not, I can beat it home and batton down the hatches. When things settle a bit, I can start the resupply phase. 

And at that time@Mark A, I hope I come out looking more like John Wick than Columbus. Looking forward to both movies.

• Like 1