CZ9mm's Weight Loss Extravaganza

• Moderators

So, earlier this week after eating a nice Indian Buffet I weight 246 lbs, that's the most I've ever weighed. So, I decided to lose weight. I set a goal at 200 lbs. How am I doing it?

1) I'm using MyFitnessPal to count calories. You input your current weight, etc and then set a goal. I told it I'd like to lose 2 lbs a week. Thus, it set my calorie intake at 1900 calories per day. You then input your food as you eat it. If it is something with a barcode you can just scan the barcode and it is likely in the database. Otherwise you can search for it like, "apple", or whatever. Most restaurant food is in the database as well. As an interesting sidenote, if you have an iPhone 5s or newer it automatically counts your steps. Check your "Health" app for this. Well, MyFitnessPal can automatically read this data and adjust your calorie intake. For example, yesterday I ate 1,731 calories of my 1,900 goal, but I walked enough to burn 366 calories, so I could have eaten another 535 had I wanted to. All of the math and adjustments are automatic.

2) I have a FItbit Aria. It is a smart Wi-Fi scale that automatically logs your weight. I have it tied to MyFitnessPal so when I weigh MyFitnessPal automatically updates my goal progress. This is just purely for motivation and obviously not really required. Also, if I were making the purchase again, I would probably get one of the Withings scales instead because it integrates with Apple's Health directly. I think Fitbit has made the decision to not integrate with Health. EDIT: I just realized that you can go and give MyFitnessPal permission to access and write Healthkit data such as "weight" so the scale purchase would now be a tossup based on price. Thus, the data should push from Fitbit to MyFitnessPal to Apple's Healthkit.

I was also able to link two badges to my signature that automatically update. If I go and weigh right now, it would update the badges that you see. That's just an added little bonus for motivation and conversation.

Different things work for different people. Things that help motivate me?

• When I "complete" a daily diary in MyFitnessPal it gives a status update. For example, yesterday it told me "If every day were like today... You'd weigh 224.2 lbs in 5 weeks". As you all know, 5 weeks goes by in the blink of an eye. To weight that in 5 weeks if I continue this trend is very motivating.
  • Exercising is addicting and motivating! I know after a nice 3 mile walk I feel motivated to try and continue the trend towards better health. Even a short 1 mile walk is helpful to do this.
  • For me, eating foods that are easy to account for (like inputting "apple" into the MyFitnessPal app) helps me stay motivated. To see the estimated amount of calories I am eating it is easier to control portions and intake. If you throw a bunch of ingredients in a dish and then eat 27.193% of the dish, it is hard to estimate the calories and as such makes it easier to fudge and eat more.
  • I like trying to leave a few hundred calories left over at the end of the day. This helps you if you ended up underestimating your calorie intake elsewhere.
Now, I'm not starving myself. I'm just watching calories and choosing more carefully where they come from. I'm trying to increase the amount of exercise as well. So far I feel great. It's just sticking to it and trying to avoid binge days where you throw the entire system out the window.

110420292.weight-lost-sm.gif 110420292.weight-togo-sm.gif

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 3

So, earlier this week after eating a nice Indian Buffet I weight 246 lbs, that's the most I've ever weighed. So, I decided to lose weight. I set a goal at 200 lbs. How am I doing it?

1) I'm using MyFitnessPal to count calories. You input your current weight, etc and then set a goal. I told it I'd like to lose 2 lbs a week. Thus, it set my calorie intake at 1900 calories per day. You then input your food as you eat it. If it is something with a barcode you can just scan the barcode and it is likely in the database. Otherwise you can search for it like, "apple", or whatever. Most restaurant food is in the database as well. As an interesting sidenote, if you have an iPhone 5s or newer it automatically counts your steps. Check your "Health" app for this. Well, MyFitnessPal can automatically read this data and adjust your calorie intake. For example, yesterday I ate 1,731 calories of my 1,900 goal, but I walked enough to burn 366 calories, so I could have eaten another 535 had I wanted to. All of the math and adjustments are automatic.

2) I have a FItbit Aria. It is a smart Wi-Fi scale that automatically logs your weight. I have it tied to MyFitnessPal so when I weigh MyFitnessPal automatically updates my goal progress. This is just purely for motivation and obviously not really required. Also, if I were making the purchase again, I would probably get one of the Withings scales instead because it integrates with Apple's Health directly. I think Fitbit has made the decision to not integrate with Health.

I was also able to link two badges to my signature that automatically update. If I go and weigh right now, it would update the badges that you see. That's just an added little bonus for motivation and conversation.

Different things work for different people. Things that help motivate me?

• When I "complete" a daily diary in MyFitnessPal it gives a status update. For example, yesterday it told me "If every day were like today... You'd weigh 224.2 lbs in 5 weeks". As you all know, 5 weeks goes by in the blink of an eye. To weight that in 5 weeks if I continue this trend is very motivating.
  • Exercising is addicting and motivating! I know after a nice 3 mile walk I feel motivated to try and continue the trend towards better health. Even a short 1 mile walk is helpful to do this.
  • For me, eating foods that are easy to account for (like inputting "apple" into the MyFitnessPal app) helps me stay motivated. To see the estimated amount of calories I am eating it is easier to control portions and intake. If you throw a bunch of ingredients in a dish and then eat 27.193% of the dish, it is hard to estimate the calories and as such makes it easier to fudge and eat more.
  • I like trying to leave a few hundred calories left over at the end of the day. This helps you if you ended up underestimating your calorie intake elsewhere.

Now, I'm not starving myself. I'm just watching calories and choosing more carefully where they come from. I'm trying to increase the amount of exercise as well. So far I feel great. It's just sticking to it and trying to avoid binge days where you throw the entire system out the window.

Best of luck to you. I like your strategy. I'm using MyFitnessPal as well. Great app! I love how if you're at a restaurant it can even use GPS to guess where you are and show you the menu. That makes it even easier to log the food you eat. The popularity of the app helps too. That's how the food database is able to have hundreds of thousands of foods from every restaurant.

Best of all it integrates seamlessly with my Jawbone UP24's software. They share data both ways, so that not only does the step tracker update the calorie tracker to adjust your available calories based on activity, but the tracker software I use can also score my eating habits, sleeping habits, and exercise habits to give me the big pic of how I'm doing.

I combined the 2 with a very very low carb diet for the last 3 months and lost 50# with almost no effort.

• Moderators

Best of luck to you. I like your strategy. I'm using MyFitnessPal as well. Great app! I love how if you're at a restaurant it can even use GPS to guess where you are and show you the menu. That makes it even easier to log the food you eat. The popularity of the app helps too. That's how the food database is able to have hundreds of thousands of foods from every restaurant.

Best of all it integrates seamlessly with my Jawbone UP24's software. They share data both ways, so that not only does the step tracker update the calorie tracker to adjust your available calories based on activity, but the tracker software I use can also score my eating habits, sleeping habits, and exercise habits to give me the big pic of how I'm doing.

I combined the 2 with a very very low carb diet for the last 3 months and lost 50# with almost no effort.

Interesting! I haven't recently used the app while at a restaurant and did not know it would display their menu. That sounds nice.

I purchased one of the FitBit trackers and wore it a while. I ended up returning it because honestly all it ever let me know what that I needed to go for a walk every evening to reach my activity goal. It seemed to work well but especially now with advanced technology being included in cell phones I felt the FitBit tracker...redundant. That being said, if G-Shock came out with a watch exactly like mine but with including tracking I may be interested. I don't really wear "dress watches" ever but if I did this would likely be at the top of my list: Withings Activité.

My diet is and will be generally mixed and geared towards healthy. Low carb definitely works but can lead to bad eating habits depending on what you choose. I did it back in 2005 to lose 20 lbs and it worked but I found myself eating potted meat and vienna sausages a lot for convenience. Currently I am definitely attempting to limit carbs but am not afraid of them. I'm focusing more so on quality fruits and vegetables and if it fits into my calorie limit even deserts and burgers, etc. Once I get closer to my goal I will feel better all around and at that point can focus on staying active and eating healthy but generally whatever I want with less worry.

Also, congrats on the 50 lbs! Right now my goal is 200 lbs even so I have 39 to go. However, if you lookup the recommended weight charts this is what I find for being age 25 at about 5'-8".

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 148.1 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 148.8 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 150.8 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 153.4 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 121.7 lbs - 164.4 lbs

I may end up losing 50 eventually but I am trying to keep my goal reasonable and obtainable. At 200 lbs my lifestyle would be drastically different. I literally cannot even imagine being anywhere between any of those recommendations above. If I were to hit 180 that would be phenomenal.

Edited by CZ9MM
I have just started on my weight loss journey. I have been hovering around 200lbs for about 5 year now. While it is not close to my highest weight, I am not in my best physical condition. 13 years ago when I got married I was 225lbs and in the best shape of my life. Thanks to a nasty sports injury and a genetic medical condition I can't really excersize anymore. I recently felt some heart fluttering and my bp has been out of whack, so it is time for a change. I had not even heard of this app so thank you. The bmi chart puts me at 65lbs overweight, there is no way for me to do that. I am trying to get below 170lb, anything past that is a bonus.

I think it would be fun if some of us helped keep each other In check.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 1

Interesting! I haven't recently used the app while at a restaurant and did not know it would display their menu. That sounds nice.

I purchased one of the FitBit trackers and wore it a while. I ended up returning it because honestly all it ever let me know what that I needed to go for a walk every evening to reach my activity goal. It seemed to work well but especially now with advanced technology being included in cell phones I felt the FitBit tracker...redundant. That being said, if G-Shock came out with a watch exactly like mine but with including tracking I may be interested. I don't really wear "dress watches" ever but if I did this would likely be at the top of my list: Withings Activité.

My diet is and will be generally mixed and geared towards healthy. Low carb definitely works but can lead to bad eating habits depending on what you choose. I did it back in 2005 to lose 20 lbs and it worked but I found myself eating potted meat and vienna sausages a lot for convenience. Currently I am definitely attempting to limit carbs but am not afraid of them. I'm focusing more so on quality fruits and vegetables and if it fits into my calorie limit even deserts and burgers, etc. Once I get closer to my goal I will feel better all around and at that point can focus on staying active and eating healthy but generally whatever I want with less worry.

Also, congrats on the 50 lbs! Right now my goal is 200 lbs even so I have 39 to go. However, if you lookup the recommended weight charts this is what I find for being age 25 at about 5'-8".

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 148.1 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 148.8 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 150.8 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 153.4 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 121.7 lbs - 164.4 lbs

I may end up losing 50 eventually but I am trying to keep my goal reasonable and obtainable. At 200 lbs my lifestyle would be drastically different. I literally cannot even imagine being anywhere between any of those recommendations above. If I were to hit 180 that would be phenomenal.

I work at a company that makes wellness software. If I participate, I can earn up to $1000 extra dollars in my HSA and get steeply discounted health insurance. So, I kind of had to pick a step tracker that integrates to their software. I picked the Jawbone over the FitBit or the others, but also would be interested in a G-Shock if it worked with both my work's apps and MyFitnessPal.

You hit the nail on the head about the low carb diet (I did Keto). I found myself plateauing after 3 months and realized that when I was too lazy to cook a good meal I was eating junk like pork rinds and sugar free jello for supper because it was easy. I'm taking a 3 month break to do a traditional low fat low calorie diet then I'll go back and forth til I hit my goal. I'm loving being able to eat fruit and oatmeal again, but still plan to avoid rice, potatoes, and bread from now on.

Those charts are ridiculous, IMO. I'm a shade under 6' tall and most charts say I need to be 165#. There's no freaking way I want to be that skinny. So, I'm shooting for 215#.

• Moderators

I have just started on my weight loss journey. I have been hovering around 200lbs for about 5 year now. While it is not close to my highest weight, I am not in my best physical condition. 13 years ago when I got married I was 225lbs and in the best shape of my life. Thanks to a nasty sports injury and a genetic medical condition I can't really excersize anymore. I recently felt some heart fluttering and my bp has been out of whack, so it is time for a change. I had not even heard of this app so thank you. The bmi chart puts me at 65lbs overweight, there is no way for me to do that. I am trying to get below 170lb, anything past that is a bonus.

I think it would be fun if some of us helped keep each other In check.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yep! Although I do enjoy being active I am not an exercise buff. That leads me to reduce calorie intake and that app is perfect for managing that!

I work at a company that makes wellness software. If I participate, I can earn up to $1000 extra dollars in my HSA and get steeply discounted health insurance. So, I kind of had to pick a step tracker that integrates to their software. I picked the Jawbone over the FitBit or the others, but also would be interested in a G-Shock if it worked with both my work's apps and MyFitnessPal.

You hit the nail on the head about the low carb diet (I did Keto). I found myself plateauing after 3 months and realized that when I was too lazy to cook a good meal I was eating junk like pork rinds and sugar free jello for supper because it was easy. I'm taking a 3 month break to do a traditional low fat low calorie diet then I'll go back and forth til I hit my goal. I'm loving being able to eat fruit and oatmeal again, but still plan to avoid rice, potatoes, and bread from now on.

Those charts are ridiculous, IMO. I'm a shade under 6' tall and most charts say I need to be 165#. There's no freaking way I want to be that skinny. So, I'm shooting for 215#.

I too am not going to let those charts rule my life. It would/will be a night and day difference if I get down under 200 lbs. I'll go from there to see if I should drop another 10 or 20.

Also, lucky you for your company! I know someone that works IT at BlueCross and they have a tracker laced into their shoelaces. I don't know exactly but I think they get payouts if they meet certain goals. I wish!

Pork rinds and sugar free Jello! I too remember gorging myself on a lot of those. I didn't feel great because I wasn't eating healthy but it did takes pounds off. I do remember hitting a plateau around 205 or so (attempting to drop from 220 to 200). A consequence of such is that I still love a whole bag of pork rinds.

• Like 1

Good luck with your plan.  I used the MyFitnessPal app for a while a couple years ago and it helped me get a better handle on my diet.  I lost some weight and I'm in a lot better shape now.  I'd still like to drop another 12-15 lbs but it would appear I've hit the proverbial wall.  Something major has to change for me to lose any further weight and I'm currently not motivated enough to knock down that wall. 

I'm 5'8" and weigh 175.

I'm blessed with a high metabolism. About five years ago I went on a hardcore workout regime with heavy weights only and lower calorie high protein diet. I got down to 145 which is in the "ideal" range for my body.

I don't put much faith in their charts. I looked skinny and sickly at that weight.

I did feel amazing but I didn't look it!

At 175 I look healthy but I'm skinny fat. Physical conditioning is lacking.

Good luck on your diet and take those recommendations with a grain of salt.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
  • Like 1
Here is the single most important thing to weight loss. That is whether you can or cannot exercise.

Only eat the suggested serving size and weigh it out.

I was as guilty as anyone in thinking a 1/4 bottle of salad dressing is a serving size. Or that the ready made lasagna dinner is a serving for two rather than seven.

Once I started actually weighing my portions the weight came off. I lost about 40 pounds in 12 months. My wife lost 70 in that same year.
  • Like 3

Good luck on your mission.  As others have said, tracking everything you eat and drink is huge. Forget those stupid BMI charts.  I eat right and exercise 6-7 days a week and would be considered overweight by most every chart.  If I dropped down to a "normal" BMI I'd probably look like I was dying.

Here is the single most important thing to weight loss. That is whether you can or cannot exercise.

Only eat the suggested serving size and weigh it out.

I was as guilty as anyone in thinking a 1/4 bottle of salad dressing is a serving size. Or that the ready made lasagna dinner is a serving for two rather than seven.

Once I started actually weighing my portions the weight came off. I lost about 40 pounds in 12 months. My wife lost 70 in that same year.

+1 to this.

I can do very little other than hobble around or ride a stationary bike on 0 resistance.  portions are what get us.  during my accident I was at 200-205 or so, down to 180 and haven't done anything except the way I eat.  Still eat most of the same stuff, just two tacos from taco bell now instead of 3 or 4.  Pretty easy.

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1
Thank you for posting this. I have been on a weight loss journey myself and was in need of something like this. I started the low carb,high protein diet In March of 2015 and by thanksgiving I had lost 90lbs. Then thanksgiving rolled around and I started loosing me grip. I have now put back on 25 of the 90 so this is very helpful.
  • Like 1

Well. You would if on a computer. You don't see badges in Tapatalk. Is that why you are on?

I'll edit the original thread with them to show up.

I'm logged on with a laptop. No badges. Chrome browser.

Thank you for posting this. I have been on a weight loss journey myself and was in need of something like this. I started the low carb,high protein diet In March of 2015 and by thanksgiving I had lost 90lbs. Then thanksgiving rolled around and I started loosing me grip. I have now put back on 25 of the 90 so this is very helpful.

Adkins? Keto? Paleo?

I was doing keto and 25 -30 grams of carbs is freaking hard, but it taught me to like kale and spinach, which I was never a fan of. I also thought it was odd that green beans, brussel sprouts, and asparagus could have so many carbs that I had to avoid them. If you did that for 8 months you are the man!!

• Moderators
See.

I don't think it is a good thing to avoid green beans, Brussels sprouts, and asparagus just because they have some carbs.

As stated, I'm focusing on quality, healthy food and keeping my calorie count under a certain amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

Nope

I'm logged on with a laptop. No badges. Chrome browser.

Well, I just checked to make sure that they badges would show up even when I'm not logged in to MyFitnessPal, it appears they do. That means they should show up to anyone. It is just using the forum's BBCODE for displaying an image, I doubt an Adblocker would be blocking it but it is possible.

Adkins? Keto? Paleo?

I was doing keto and 25 -30 grams of carbs is freaking hard, but it taught me to like kale and spinach, which I was never a fan of. I also thought it was odd that green beans, brussel sprouts, and asparagus could have so many carbs that I had to avoid them. If you did that for 8 months you are the man!!

I honestly just kinda took a little bit of all of it and figured out what worked for me. I did 50 carbs or less per day and no less than 660 grams of protein. Lots of green beans, broccoli , and the like with the protein. Cut out the cokes and the sweets.
  • Like 1

I can see the badges CZ, running firefox.  Can't see them mobile using my iphone.

And yes, portion sizes are tough to wrap your head around.  I struggle with that myself. It takes a while for your stomach to shrink down to where a meal of correct portions actually fills you up.  When you're a stress eater (like me) and life is stressful, it gets quite difficult at times.  The best thing I know of is to simply get all the bad stuff out of the house, car, office, ...   If you don't have it, you can't eat it.  Not so easy when you've got kids who require cookies and such in their lunches.