CZ9mm's Weight Loss Extravaganza

1 hour ago, btq96r said:

I'm weaning myself off of carbs, cold turkey ain't gonna work for a guy raised on pasta and bread.  I haven't had pizza in a while, and am only eating bread when it's with a sandwich, not as a table filler before a meal comes out or anything of the sort.  Also cutting the portions of chips at Mexican restaurants, and side items with carbs like potatoes and rice.  My biggest problem is being hungry since the carbs filled me up well enough. 

Prob with carbs is the insulin rush you get after consuming -- whether you perceive it or not, the brain likes it, it's like when endorphins kick in. Then when that stabilizes to meet the immediate glucose demand, you want more, ie "hungry" again. Add to the fact that mostly empty carbs like bread, rice, pasta, and taters provide, if not utilized immediately, just are "stored", ie fat. Not to mention that the ole Type 2 is sneaking up on you, due to insulin resistance and simply wearing out that pancreas to continually overproduce it.

All I have to do is give up the big 4 and of course watch the sweets (including fruit), and the weight will come off, even over time at around 3,000 calories a day of other stuff. Simply put, all calories are not created equal. :)

And of course high protein/fat/cholesterol diet has been wrongfully vilified for many decades, like regarding cholesterol levels, kidney damage, whatever. Most people do great on it, as long as the carbs aren't there in the way of being used first.

Surely about half or more of my daily calories come from meat, I'm quite the carnivore. All kinds of meat, and a lot of it fatty, and I eat the fat. Lots of butter (no margarine), sour cream, mayo, etc. At the constant nagging of my heart doc I see twice a year (minor mitral valve prolapse) I finally got a new lipid panel not long ago. All the indicators were solidly in range, with exception of LDL which was in the "near/above optimal" range but not even in the "borderline high" range. And the guy still suggested I might want to take a low dose of a statin, a suggestion I scoffed at.

And this with being 25-30 lbs overweight right now -- and that's due to slipping back into too much CarbLand over the last few years, so yeah, without being a total carb Nazi and doing strict "induction" level on them, I've recently gone back into eschewing the Big 4 again, started about 2 weeks ago, down a few pounds already without changing anything else, or watching total calories or whatever.

Another benefit of low carbing is that many people, myself included, have found that any allergy we have is much lessened and possibly even totally eliminated by doing it. The as yet unproven theory behind that actual widespread reported result is pretty interesting, but another story.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 hour ago, btq96r said:

I'm weaning myself off of carbs, cold turkey ain't gonna work for a guy raised on pasta and bread.  I haven't had pizza in a while, and am only eating bread when it's with a sandwich, not as a table filler before a meal comes out or anything of the sort.  Also cutting the portions of chips at Mexican restaurants, and side items with carbs like potatoes and rice.  My biggest problem is being hungry since the carbs filled me up well enough. 

Being hungry definatley sucks .  To make the low carb diet work I have to eat more food more often than I ever did before. For me, pork rinds work awesome for snacks in between meals. 

@Oh Shoot My labs are pretty solid across the board for a fat guy with hypertension and OSA.  I get a full panel about once a year (actually had one yesterday with my first VA appointment), so I'm on top of all the warning signs that may come from those.

The last thing I want to do is starve myself and have relapses.  With school and work being very lax over the summer, and my fall semester being lax as well, I finally have the chance to plan meals better and hit the gym hard, both of which I've been doing pretty well here lately.  I just need to keep working on endurance for the cardio and mixing in more core exercises alongside the clanging & banging of the weights (the only stress relief I like better than shooting).   Coupled with mixing in better foods I make fresh instead of the ready made stuff, and I think I'll start to see results.  I'd rather have it be gradual and sustained than anything drastic to be honest. 

On May 18, 2016 at 1:27 PM, DT INC. said:

I went to the dr. yesterday and had everything checked out. Starting today I'm back on the low carb/ high protein wagon. I weighed in at 286 this morning which means I have put back on 23 lbs of the 90 that I had lost. We shall see what happens. Wish me luck .

Weighed in this morning and after one week I'm at 280.2 . I'm pleased with that so far, consisting I ate my usual nachos fajita steak and chips and salsa Saturday night and had a few pieces of pizza Monday. How is everybody else doing ?

No real progress for me, and I've hit a small snag in my efforts.  I think I strained something in my hand, because any type of effort involving my left thumb is very limited and a bit painful.  it's keeping me from pretty much any kind of strength training, which I use in my workouts a motivation, and for the extra burn since I lift after doing cardio.  I've been taking NSAID's and will have to see the doc if it doesn't clear up before too long.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, dralarms said:

As of this morning I was at 337.  That's down from around 395 on Nov 1st. 

That's fantastic.  I am down 88 pounds over the course of 1 year.  Sitting at 305 right now.  Looking for the 250ish mark is where I feel great.  

1 hour ago, ggwilde said:

That's fantastic.  I am down 88 pounds over the course of 1 year.  Sitting at 305 right now.  Looking for the 250ish mark is where I feel great.  

You are doing great too. It is amazing how much better even a few pounds less make you feel.

Lost 35lbs so far.  Been doing a lot of walking.  Finally decided to go to that 7 islands birding park off exit 402.  Over 8 miles of trails. Not too far from me and good exercise.  Got a Dr's appointment in 2 weeks to make sure this low calorie diet isn't messing up my cholesterol, sugar levels, etc. 

2 hours ago, ggwilde said:

At 395 I could hardly walk. My knees hurt all the time.  Today I ran up and down a ladder about 25 times, I'm sitting here and I have no pain. I still have a bad knee but it no longer hurts like it did before (hurt it when I was 16)   I'm not stopping now. 

3 hours ago, btq96r said:

No real progress for me, and I've hit a small snag in my efforts.  I think I strained something in my hand, because any type of effort involving my left thumb is very limited and a bit painful.  it's keeping me from pretty much any kind of strength training, which I use in my workouts a motivation, and for the extra burn since I lift after doing cardio.  I've been taking NSAID's and will have to see the doc if it doesn't clear up before too long.

I gave myself tendinitis (tennis elbow) last year trying to improve my grip strength. I've also seen it called MAPS, middle age pull-up syndrome.  I'll be honest and say it really sucked. I couldn't really grip anything for about 2 months. Shaking hands hurt like hell.  My doc gave me some fancy anti-inflammatory, but it didn't seem to do much so I just took Advil.  

Stuff I read said it would take 3-4 months to get better, and that was pretty darn close. It doesn't bother me nearly as much now and I've also changed my workout a bit to prevent future flare ups.  My strength is almost back to where it was before I hurt it. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, dralarms said:

At 395 I could hardly walk. My knees hurt all the time.  Today I ran up and down a ladder about 25 times, I'm sitting here and I have no pain. I still have a bad knee but it no longer hurts like it did before (hurt it when I was 16)   I'm not stopping now. 

That's fantastic.  I know exactly what you mean.  Same problem for me with my knees and leg.  I still have a ways to go but already feel a 1000 times better.  

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, peejman said:

I gave myself tendinitis (tennis elbow) last year trying to improve my grip strength. I've also seen it called MAPS, middle age pull-up syndrome.  I'll be honest and say it really sucked. I couldn't really grip anything for about 2 months. Shaking hands hurt like hell.  My doc gave me some fancy anti-inflammatory, but it didn't seem to do much so I just took Advil.  

Stuff I read said it would take 3-4 months to get better, and that was pretty darn close. It doesn't bother me nearly as much now and I've also changed my workout a bit to prevent future flare ups.  My strength is almost back to where it was before I hurt it. 

This is what's got me...http://thewellnessdigest.com/adductor-pollicis-muscle-thumb-pad-and-thumb-pain

I went and got the thumb stabilizer they recommended today since it wasn't that much and I'll be wearing it, hoping it helps in conjunction with some OTC NSAIDs.  I'm hoping it's better in a week or so.

• Like 2

Well I guess I'll chime in here too and say that I'm back on bandwagon.  Consistency has never been a strength of mine and neither is moderation. I can't stand that about myself. I am either fully on board or off the deep end. I have the hardest time recovering from a bad meal. 

2 years ago I went from not being able to run more than 3 minutes, to eventually running a half marathon using a Couch to 5k method of training. It was one of the few times in my life I set a long term goal and achieved it. Unfortunately since then I suffered a debilitating knee injury (not running related) and now it will never be the same, however, I am giving it another go. 

Weighed in at my highest 211, currently 206. With a long term goal weight of 170. 

I am eating tons of plants now. Trying to cut out fast food, bad carbs, fine bourbon.  Limiting animal products and getting back into jogging. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/20/2016 at 1:54 PM, BigK said:

Good luck on your venture. If you need a great tool to help you get started, I hear crystal meth helps :)

ah yes! the old Heisenberg diet

WW makes some good stuff. I'll tell you what, there is nothing quite like the good ole "blue".

I have never has success losing weight, I have however lost size. I have went from a solid 36 waist to now fitting in a 34. I have moved back into large size for shirts. I have been watching what I eat and recently started the couch to 5k program. I am currently laid up and can barely walk. I saw my rheumatologist and he said I had to take a week off and ease back into it. That will put me back a couple of weeks, hopefully I don't gain anything back.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Go hard or go home, am I right? Crack is good stuff, but come on man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YOLO. I mean if we are gonna be honest we need to offer alternatives. What kind of board member doesn't care about "common sense" drug advice? It's for the children, dammit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

To be honest the "diet" pills I was taking only worked for a few weeks. I haven't had any thing in months. I eat, I don't starve myself. I have cut down on my consumption and log everything I eat.

What I have discovered:

1 bread is your enemy. 

2 everything comes with bread (see the problem)

3 don't be afraid to cheat once in a while, you like something that's not good for your diet? Eat it anyway once in a while and in moderation. 

4 get a fitness tracker (I like fitbit) and log everything you eat. It will surprise you how much you really eat.

5 if your joint hurt all the time, hurts to walk, it's time to do something. It hurt me just to walk and now I can climb a ladder all day long and my knees don't hurt.

6 cheat foods to keep handy, pickles, nuts, fruit. Nuts and fruit in moderation, pickles have very little calories and will curb the desire to eat something sweet.

I've got a long way to go but to be honest I've already gone further than I thought I would.

Oh and one more thing,

Your weight will fluctuate,  it's not a setback. It will happen.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
6 minutes ago, dralarms said:

To be honest the "diet" pills I was taking only worked for a few weeks. I haven't had any thing in months. I eat, I don't starve myself. I have cut down on my consumption and log everything I eat.

What I have discovered:

1 bread is your enemy. 

2 everything comes with bread (see the problem)

3 don't be afraid to cheat once in a while, you like something that's not good for your diet? Eat it anyway once in a while and in moderation. 

4 get a fitness tracker (I like fitbit) and log everything you eat. It will surprise you how much you really eat.

5 if your joint hurt all the time, hurts to walk, it's time to do something. It hurt me just to walk and now I can climb a ladder all day long and my knees don't hurt.

6 cheat foods to keep handy, pickles, nuts, fruit. Nuts and fruit in moderation, pickles have very little calories and will curb the desire to eat something sweet.

I've got a long way to go but to be honest I've already gone further than I thought I would.

Oh and one more thing,

Your weight will fluctuate,  it's not a setback. It will happen.

I'm really proud to see this.  Congrats on the success so far!