Change for the $20 bill

The Treasury Department plans to announce Wednesday that the new $20 bill will feature abolitionist Harriet Tubman, replacing former President Andrew Jackson.

A Treasury official confirmed the planned announcement to Fox Business Network. It would make Tubman the first woman on U.S. paper currency in 100 years. 

Politico also reported that Alexander Hamilton will remain on the front of the $10 bill, and other design changes are also being rolled out.

The expected announcement from Treasury Secretary Jack Lew follows a heated debate ever since he said last summer the government planned to incorporate a woman on the $10 bill.

Lew's initial announcement set off a firestorm of protests from supporters of Hamilton, the first Treasury secretary. They argued that the founding father had molded the nation's financial architecture and should not be removed from his rightful place on the currency.

Hamilton fans got a boost from the interest generated by the hit Broadway musical "Hamilton." Earlier this year, Lew was personally lobbied by Lin-Manuel Miranda, the author and star of "Hamilton," during a meeting at Treasury.

Treasury all together received more than 1.5 million responses to Lew's request for suggestions on the currency redesign. That prompted him to delay an announcement, which he had originally said would be made by the end of 2015.

An online group, Women on 20s, had been campaigning for a woman on the $20 bill. Jackson's critics say he should not be on U.S. currency because of the part he played in the relocation of Native Americans. 

Still, the change is likely to inflame lawmakers from Tennessee, which Jackson represented in Congress before becoming president. The state also generally claims the former president was born in an area that is now part of Tennessee. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/20/change-for-20-treasury-to-replace-jackson-with-tubman-on-bill.html

if anyone should be removed it should be Hamilton. 

On US Money it should be founding Fathers and Presidents.,

How is Hamilton not a "Founding Father", since he helped draft and signed the original Constitution?

- OS

• Like 10

Hamilton helped the new US deal with the crippling debt it held at the end of the Revolutionary War, and also helped form the capitalist financial system that this country has to this day.

Ive long thought that Jackson was a poor representative.   Franklin is great, and I hated when they replaced him with kennedy (coin). 

Tubman is fine ... she was a heroine, tough and brave.  Much better than some of the other contenders... we are lucky it isn't obama or some other half wit.  

Best as I can tell, Jackson was a war hero but also a SOB.  

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

I think they do stuff on purpose just to piss traditional conservatives off.
I'm rather sick of it too.

What about this is so aggravating to conservatives?

Not trying to be funny, I genuinely don't understand why so many people are fired up over this.
  • Like 6

What about this is so aggravating to conservatives?

Not trying to be funny, I genuinely don't understand why so many people are fired up over this.

Well, while I think Jackson was a murderer,  there is an ongoing effort by the left to produce non-white and non-male historical figures of consequence and cram them down our throats.    There were some awesome folks of color and women, but their roles were still relatively minor in the grand scheme of things (count the number of black signers to the declaration or constitution and let me know the total?).    There were not really that many of em in the revolutionary war and even the civil war had just a handful.  

Racism and sexism of the times limited the roles these folks could have.   That limitation is a documented fact.   This means they were not in any way, shape, or form the primary source of our history.   Its an ugly history that way, but trying to dredge up minor figures and force schools to teach about them instead of the major players is idiotic.  

That is what gets on our nerves.  Real heroes and major players are marginalized while minor players are given months of study --- because the left is obsesses with race and gender over substance.

• Like 5

The funniest thing about the whole Jackson thing is he dismantled the main bank, then the treasury puts him on the $20  :bowrofl:

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 3

All joking aside, this is going to be a nightmare for retailers. Think of all the machines with bill readers that will have to be changed to be able to read, not only the new bills, but also the old ones.

The machines have to be recalibrated every time they change the pictures anyway.  This is no different.  I'm 33 and I think there have been at least 3 or 4 major changes to bills in my lifetime.  Of course, all of this is assuming that the machines use graphical identification and not the security strip or some other hidden thing that we don't know about that would allow the machines to keep on trucking without any changes. 

The machines have to be recalibrated every time they change the pictures anyway.  This is no different.  I'm 33 and I think there have been at least 3 or 4 major changes to bills in my lifetime.  Of course, all of this is assuming that the machines use graphical identification and not the security strip or some other hidden thing that we don't know about that would allow the machines to keep on trucking without any changes. 

I think the number of data points collected in verification of money would astound us all.  Last time I looked into it there were like 20 or 30 security features on a 20.

I think the number of data points collected in verification of money would astound us all.  Last time I looked into it there were like 20 or 30 security features on a 20.

I know that.  But I'm specifically talking about the counting machines that banks use and the bill readers in vending machines and the like.  And I know the vending machines, at least, aren't looking 20 or 30 things to see the denomination.  

out of over 3 million, its roughly 5% ... a handful in relativistic terms yes.

So, by that reckoning, only a 'handful' of people were killed in WW2?

"World War II was the deadliest military conflict in history in absolute terms of total dead. Over 60 million people were killed, which was about 3% of the 1940 world population (est. 2.3 billion)" Edited by robtattoo