Need info on the Current Red LIght Camera laws

vontar

I just read this morning that it's not stationary cameras, but hand held laser/video cameras that uniformed police officers will use. So they just sit there, shoot and record, then you get your ticket in the mail.

Many say it's good to use new technology if it helps slow people down and make our community safer. I say bring back old technology... speed bumps. Cheap and effective. Edited by BrasilNuts

I just read this morning that it's not stationary cameras, but hand held laser/video cameras that uniformed police officers will use. So they just sit there, shoot and record, then you get your ticket in the mail.

Many say it's good to use new technology if it helps slow people down and make our community safer. I say bring back old technology... speed bumps. Cheap and effective.

If they brought back speed bumps this day in time with all these cookie cutter cars running around most people would not be able to drive because the cars could not get over them due to ground clearence............jmho

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. I'll probably worry less about privacy now and what it means to me.

Obviously you don't want to do dumb things like post your BD/SS/address in the open, but honestly, what do you think that Google doesn't already have stored on you, that you have done on that phone?  There's a website you can log into and track your phone's historical geomapping data, and more than likely your contacts are stored on your Google account, or backed up on theirs or your carrier's servers.

People often worry about the wrong things when it comes to privacy and security. A perfect example was years back when the general population learned about the word "cookies" all of a sudden they were terrible.  After people learned what they actually were and could do, you don't hear about them much any longer except when people clear their browser cache during a cleanup.

Edited by Sam1

If you do decide to go to court, isn't the status quo to challenge it and make the company send someone in to represent the device?  That way it runs up the bill for the company.

Everyone needs to do that if you were to actually pay it.

The easiest solution is just run Waze on your phone, you'll get an alert when you get near something.

The easiest solution is to stop at a red light. :hat:

• Like 1

I'm 80....I've  had that problem solved form day one..I do not RUN RED LIGHTS.   Never had a speeding ticket either.  To be honest I've NEVER had a ticket.  Maybe luck has something to do with it.  Had a lady hit me in the rear while stopped at a red light.....LOL.....bet you'll never guess what she was doing while driving.  First and only accident I've ever had. 

"Slow down and smell the roses"

Ron ......they don't want to hear an ole farts tricks.......think of all the seconds there  saving...and there beating you to the next light. :confused:

• Like 2

The way the traffic lights are set up in Cool Springs, it's either make a hard stop or run the light when it turns yellow. By hard stop, I mean it throws my gym bag off the passenger seat. I routinely go through these lights on yellow, but once in a while I can see it turn red just as I go under the light. Almost always, there's another car behind me that follows me through. 

For these reasons, I never jackrabbit the start at a red light. If I'm the first car, I typically look left before I start through. I'm pretty sure this routine safety step saved my life one foggy day when an 18-wheeler ran the light. 

Slow down folks.....some day you'll look around and if your lucky you'll be 80.  And trust me you'll wish you could have made the trip slower!

I wrecked and almost died at 15-20mph.  If crap is going to happen, it is just going to happen.

TDOT signs said last year or year before that 35% of crashes involve speeding, which means that you have a 65% chance of getting into an accident due to something else. :)

Edited by Sam1

The way the traffic lights are set up in Cool Springs, it's either make a hard stop or run the light when it turns yellow. By hard stop, I mean it throws my gym bag off the passenger seat. I routinely go through these lights on yellow, but once in a while I can see it turn red just as I go under the light. Almost always, there's another car behind me that follows me through. 

For these reasons, I never jackrabbit the start at a red light. If I'm the first car, I typically look left before I start through. I'm pretty sure this routine safety step saved my life one foggy day when an 18-wheeler ran the light. 

You do know that they clarified the law last year that if your front tires are over the white line before the light turns red you are not running the light. My problem now is I've got to remember that's not the law in other states....

• Like 1

Slow down folks.....some day you'll look around and if your lucky you'll be 80. And trust me you'll wish you could have made the trip slower!

There is no correlation between speeding and wrecks. People not paying attention causes wrecks.

There is no correlation between speeding and wrecks. People not paying attention causes wrecks.

I know why you say that, and to an extent you are correct. However, it took some formal training and testing scenarios for me to realize some things. One, it takes nearly three times the distance for a vehicle traveling 80 to come to a stop as one doing half that speed. Even if you are paying attention and have a sharp mind you have a .07 sec reactionary time as opposed to the average person who may have a 1.5 reactionary time to witness danger, decide to take evasive or defensive measures, and then act. Regardless, when you are driving 80 mph, you have traveled a minimum of 111.73 ft from the time that you perceived a threat until the time you have first applied the brake if you have a 1 second reaction time.

Another point I like to make, and I learned this from a trip to the morgue, your internal organs become mush when you go from 80mph to stationary instantly. Remember, speed never killed anyone; it's coming to an immediate, complete stop that will get you.
  • Like 1
Do the math with a speed limit of 40 and someone doing 50 or a speed limited of 65 and someone doing 75. Paying attention is vital while driving. Reaction time is very important, but it isn't the cause of the problem.

I will agree that a wreck at higher speed will be generally worse than it would have been at a lower speed.

I bet you could do a study that shows speeding decreased wrecks by comparing amount of time driven per wreck. I'm surprised we haven't wasted some government money on that.

This is why they teach to slow down when approaching a stale green light.  

• Like 2

Are there any of these cameras in the Brentwood, Cool Springs area? I see lots of traffic cameras and I routinely run them as they're changing to red. Let me know where the cameras are!

Stop running lights and putting people's lives and property in danger.  

Do the math with a speed limit of 40 and someone doing 50 or a speed limited of 65 and someone doing 75. Paying attention is vital while driving. Reaction time is very important, but it isn't the cause of the problem.

I don't think you completely get the gist of the difference. We have tried on a test track to to stop a crown vic from 80mph in less than 200 ft. It just can't be done. From the point you witness danger, or we yell out danger, you have already traveled over 100ft before your brakes start to grab. If we reduce the speed to 40mph we can stop that vehicle in almost the same distance that was previously the reactionary gap.

We are never going to eliminate all traffic collisions. All we can ever hope to do is reduce the amount and reduce the severity of collisions.

I don't think you completely get the gist of the difference. We have tried on a test track to to stop a crown vic from 80mph in less than 200 ft. It just can't be done. From the point you witness danger, or we yell out danger, you have already traveled over 100ft before your brakes start to grab. If we reduce the speed to 40mph we can stop that vehicle in almost the same distance that was previously the reactionary gap.

We are never going to eliminate all traffic collisions. All we can ever hope to do is reduce the amount and reduce the severity of collisions.

So everyone should just drive 25mph for safety purposes then :)

So everyone should just drive 25mph for safety purposes then :)

No, of course not. For the most part we set speed limits based on a principle known as The 85 Percentile Speed. Basically this is the speed 85 out of 100 vehicles will not exceed. Unfortunately, not all streets get a survey; most streets will get set a speed limit in accordance with other surveys. Studies have shown that when a maximum speed limit is over or under this speed it results in considerably more traffic concerns.

Did you just say "SPEED" has nothing to do with wrecks? With all do respect you must not travel on the interstate.

My take on it is, while the level of speed does have an influence in things going wrong because things are happening faster, I believe the difference in speed between vehicles plays a bigger role.

For example, if every car is traveling 55, generally everything is cool. If every car is going 75, generally everything is cool. Now intermix some cars at 55 and some at 75 and now you start to have problems.

Did you just say "SPEED" has nothing to do with wrecks? With all do respect you must not travel on the interstate.

Correct. Not paying attention is the problem. People running lights and stop signs. People drinking too much. People looking down in the bag of food they just bought for the fries. Those are examples of the causes.

You sound like a gun control advocate there with just some minor changes.

Are you saying driving 80 in a 40 is the cause of wrecks? Cause how often does that happen? That person has worse problems than speeding.

Are you saying if I'm doing 41 while the speed limit is 40 I'm going to cause more wrecks? Your example is so vague. If I'm doing 40 on a highway with a speed limit of 70 that I'm going to make it safer for everyone else?
  • 10 months later...

I thought I'd bump this thread and see what the latest is on this. I got a ticket in the mail Friday.

Have we determined if we are legally required to pay these? I found an article from last summer where the TN Attorney General said the traffic camera programs are unlawful because the videos are not being reviewers by POST certified law enforcement officers.

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I thought I'd bump this thread and see what the latest is on this. I got a ticket in the mail Friday.

Have we determined if we are legally required to pay these? I found an article from last summer where the TN Attorney General said the traffic camera programs are unlawful because the videos are not being reviewers by POST certified law enforcement officers.

Hopefully this will help you. 

http://share.tn.gov/sos/acts/109/pub/pc0998.pdf