Is it just me???

Where I live in West Knox I hear them all the time but I do understand how they make enough money to make it worth it. Is the ice cream $20 a bar or something?

The wholesale COG on that stuff is ridiculously cheap. When I was growing up we had a neighbor who operated one and his garage was PACKED with ice cream bars in freezers, candy, toys, etc. I think they mostly drive around getting 'found money' while they wait for schools to get out or little league practice and games at the park. That's where the big bucks are :rofl:

He would occasionally let us help ourselves to whatever. Cool dude.

And FYI, he had a son my age I used to hang out with, it wasn't like he was luring kids in with candy or anything lol. I doubt he ever said more than 10 words to us the entire time he lived there.

Where I live in West Knox I hear them all the time but I do understand how they make enough money to make it worth it. Is the ice cream $20 a bar or something?

The last time I bought for my kids it was a couple of decades ago, and IIRC, it was $4.50 each.

we call them "pervert in a truck" 

Well that's a relief. I thought I was the only one who had that as the very first thing to come to my mind when I hear that music. Sort of like seeing the creepy stalker van everyone refers to.

• Like 1

I remember the ice cream truck growing up.  Screwballs or a slush were my favorites.  The lady driving it would just stop every few blocks and play some kind of bell ringing a few times instead of serenading the whole neighborhood.  Of course, as kids we were already outside playing during those times, so we heard it loud and clear, then would either take the few bucks we had, or run in house to go get money, and go get something if we wanted. 

Nearly 30 years ago now, my wife an I got married outside at may parents house. They lived in the country and the setting made a nice out doors wedding. Right in the middle of the ceremony, one of those ice cream trucks came through the neighborhood.I think every kid in the neighborhood must have rode their bikes down and converged right in front of the house. That ice cream truck must have stayed for 10 or 15 minutes, blasting the stupid song.  

The music must have set off something in one of the neighbor's chickens. As soon as they drove away, the chicken started clucking and bawking, for another 5 minutes while it was squeezing out an egg.

You can hear it all clear as day on the video someone took. Once the commotion died died down, we all kinda had a good laugh. All these years and we still remember those things and recall them fondly.

So, no, the ice cream truck doesn't bother me. But I can't even remember the last time I saw one around here.

• Moderators

we call them "pervert in a truck"

I drove an ice cream truck for a few months one spring when I first moved to Memphis. I was around 21 or 22 at the time. You have no idea how right you are. [emoji6]
  • Like 1