Performance review of my bushcraft blade made by Gran Torino

Today I took a few minutes to try a few tasks with the bushcraft knife I commissioned from GT a few weeks ago. I didn't put it through brutal tasks, but did try some basic ones that I expect a knife to do if I'm going to carry it. First, the knife is made from 1095 steel that my calipers measure as 0.155 inches thick. Blade length is approximately 5 inches and OAL is about 10.5 inches. The scales are mesquite (I'm sure GT will correct me if I am wrong) and I asked him to include jimping on the top of the blade as well as the extension beyond the handle.

16221fbdc9d839be2965b77a6932d2dd.jpg

eb0a211f22321faec41eb160a55ab058.jpg

The knife came with a nice sharp edge, but me being me, I worked on it a bit and got it where I wanted it. I started the test by cutting some paper to show the edge quality.

9b13326a1e43db8bb27d632dd96b7969.jpg

First thing I did was take some red oak firewood I have and split a couple of pieces off using another piece of oak as a baton. The knife easily made fast work of the splitting thanks to the thickness of the blade and the flat grind. The blade took the force of the baton strikes just fine and the tip and handle were not damaged.

60096634adb515d293bb29b5e78e2efa.jpg52fec6ef6f87007a3edd463f00e70fae.jpg

Next, I took one of the pieces I split and did some shavings as you would do on a feather stick. The knife edge was still very sharp and I had no difficulty. I also used the edge of the spine to scrape some wood from the piece as one would do to make tinder.

a624826d58cb785194cbc0bcb9521761.jpg34dd4cbc8a059e666efd401159f3ed4f.jpg

Next, to test the tip, I used the blade to drill a divot in the oak. This was an easy task and the tip held up without any damage.

590c019df9c8ab6c06099354ed8b6792.jpg

I have tested the blade spine on a ferro rod previously and it is excellent for this task. After these tasks, I wanted to see how the edge had held up and I used the same sheet of paper to test the cut. I also tried a cut on a piece of soft bread, which my dog appreciated since she got to eat the results.
fc2863ce80ba22635f98b3da7ad414ea.jpg66df25e28bd9940e75b92237542e301d.jpg

Needless to say, the edge was still extremely sharp and it only took a couple of swipes on my leather strop to get it back to razor sharp. If I had some natural fiber rope I would have tried that, but I'm confident the results would have been positive. I am still thrilled with this knife and look forward to many years of enjoying it in the woods on my outdoor adventures. If you've ever considered one of GT's knives, just do it already! You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 12
Nice!
I understand 'collecting' and all and that's fine if that's what you're in to but to ME; If you can't do what you've been doing with a knife then it's junk. A knife is a tool, use it or toss the dead weight.

That is a damn nice tool. GT does some exemplary work.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...