Closed circuit to HCP Instructors:

Todd@CIS, Phantom6, Glockmeister, and others........and DoubleAfterSplit

After spending, AGAIN, 20-30 minutes of class time today telling the class "ignore this part of the video" or "this law has changed since the video came out" or "GLOCK doesn't make a .357 Magnum" or "that's not the law anymore" ...........I decided I would write somebody a letter asking for a new video.

'cuz we all know writing letters gets stuff done :P

anyway, my draft letter is below. I think I'm going to send copies to the Commissioner of Safety, and my State Senator and State Representative.

You guys proofread/critique me. I'm open for suggestions. And if you like, feel free to cut and paste and send it on yourself.

Dear (Elected/Appointed Official),

I am a Department of Safety Certified Instructor for the Handgun Safety (Carry Permit) program.

I am writing you regarding the current video that is issued by the Department of Safety and is required to be shown to all Handgun Carry Permit students.

You may or may not be aware, but this video is now going on nine (9) years old. Much of the critical information in the video is now outdated and void, due to changes in the law since the video’s production in 2000.

As an example, I will point to three (3) major revisions to the Tennessee Code Annotated that directly affect Handgun Carry Permit Instructors, students, and holders:

39-17-1305 Possession of firearms where alcoholic beverages are served

39-17-1359 Prohibition at certain meetings – posting notice

39-11-622 Justifications for use of force – immunity from civil liability

Handgun Safety Instructors such as myself, when correctly performing their duties, must spend a significant amount of classroom instruction time going back through the video advising students to disregard certain portions of the material, and updating them on the various changes to the laws.

I believe this situation does a disservice to both Instructors, and students…all of whom pay significant fees to the state for their participation in the Handgun Carry Permit program.

I am writing you now to ask, in advance, for your help in directing or encouraging the Department of Safety to produce a new video for use in the Handgun Carry Permit program. Ideally, this new video would be produced immediately after the conclusion of the next session of the General Assembly, in order for any further changes in the law to be reflected in the new production.

I appreciate your time in this matter, your service to the people of this state, and your continued support of allowing law abiding citizens the opportunity to defend themselves.

Sincerely,

Bo Alexander

SafetySouth Training Systems, LLC

PO Box 2496

Murfreesboro, TN 37127

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good to me. I would also include ALL the issues with whats his name that displays , discusses, and shoots the handguns. Cause we all know that the 357 magnum Glock is a rare breed, and the 357 magnum revolver is not the most popular handgun carried today or since 1988. Besides all of the poor handling issues that he shows too.

Bo,

Its a good idea... but I did all this 9 years ago and it did no good. I even got the NRA involved and they were going to get some well known hollywood celebs to make a new tape... FREE, but they shut it down. So I finally just gave up and documented every time the State screwed up something regarding the handgun permit process, for documentation purposed of course. As of right now they have agreed they need a new tape... its just going to take some time to get the ball rolling. The good news is if we gat NaffieNazi out theres a good chance we can get all kinds of things done. I'd suggest you get in touch with John Harris and see what he's got going... thats our best shot.

Guest shadow12

Our state inspector came in a few weeks ago and told us that the state is working on a new video. Of course even he thinks it will take years, but at least they have admitted that we need a new one and have said they will fix it.

Guest wordsworth

Looks good. Having knowledgeable HCP holders depend on quality and up to date training materials. Even the HCP pamphlet we got had outdated info on it, and we were told to just go to a website for the correct listing of reciprocity states.

Besides all of the poor handling issues that he shows too.

Poor? What about the just plain dangerous gun handling? How he "operates" that 1911 is just plain dangerous!

Guest Guntrainer

When I wrote them several years ago, they said they did not have the funding to redo the film.

I am sure the cost of the original, with casting, props and such, was substantial. :tough:

Whether or not it's been done before, we need to WEAR EM OUT...with letters like this!!! Nobody at the state level had the forethought to be proactive...If you build one you know it's going to become obsolete in a few years and you'll need to be working on another one... I don't care where the money comes from to properly fund the program...do it right or get out of the way. They leave us (instructors) hanging out to dry with incorrect information, no update when laws change (even at least yearly...?) and can't even keep their portion of the class program up to date...

If they spent as much time maintaining their current programs and spent less time figuring out how to collect our serial numbers the program would be much better off.

:):wall::P:wall:

No I ain't had my coffee yet...

Guest 423aaron

Good Idea. In the critiques I have my students fill out after my classes, this is the biggest negative they cite. That and several hours in folding chairs:shrug:

I would have done this a while back but communication from the state had been "we are working on a new one".

Since we are pointing out problems with the video....

Mention the posting requirement. The video still says "posted or announced".

Also have them clarify the Single Action/ Double Action bit. ( Single action= trigger performs a single function. Double action=trigger performs two functions)

While the guy in the video is not "wrong" he is confusing as hell.

If $ is the issue and the NRA is willing to hook us up for free............ Perhaps we can play this card in the upcoming session.

PM me with a finished version and I will get it sent around to our legislative employees.

I would further like to ask for a group effort on the part of we instructors. We need a form or packet to give to our students that has contact info for our state reps. We also need to educate them on pending or needed upgrades to the law. We could go so far as to e-mail them form letters with the proposed actions for them to simply forward to our reps.

If your volume is increasing like mine is I think it is safe to say the iron is definitely hot.

Aaron

Guest ProguninTN

I agree a new video is needed. When I was in my class, the instructor asked for comments/questions at the end of it. I pointed out several law changes, and the instructor told the class that I was correct. At this point, everyone was looking at me going, "How did you know that ?". (It's amazing what you can learn on that dang ole internet. :rolleyes::P:D)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest EasilyObsessed

Out of curiosity, is watching the video a requirement of the class? I dont recall watching a video when I took my class, but it was five years ago.

• 9 months later...

A few months later than planned, BUT I DID send this out today:

Dear (Official),

I am a Department of Safety Certified Instructor for the Handgun Safety (Carry Permit) program.

I am writing you regarding the current video that is issued by the Department of Safety and is required to be shown to all Handgun Carry Permit students.

You may or may not be aware, but this video is now going on ten (10) years old. Much of the critical information in the video is now outdated and void, due to changes in the law since the video’s production in 2000.

As an example, I will point to four (4) major revisions to the Tennessee Code Annotated that directly affect Handgun Carry Permit Instructors, students, and holders:

39-17-1305 Possession of firearms where alcoholic beverages are served

39-17-1311 Municipal parks carry

39-17-1359 Prohibition at certain meetings – posting notice

39-11-622 Justifications for use of force – immunity from civil liability

Handgun Safety Instructors such as myself, when correctly performing their duties, must spend a significant amount of classroom instruction time going back through the video advising students to disregard certain portions of the material, and updating them on the various changes to the laws.

I believe this situation does a disservice to both Instructors, and students…all of whom pay significant fees to the state for their participation in the Handgun Carry Permit program.

I am writing you now to ask, in advance, for your help in directing or encouraging the Department of Safety to produce a new video for use in the Handgun Carry Permit program.

I appreciate your time in this matter, your service to the people of this state, and your continued support of allowing law abiding citizens the opportunity to defend themselves.

Sincerely,

Bo Alexander

SafetySouth Training Systems, LLC

PO Box 2496

Murfreesboro, TN 37133

Had to make a few changes from the original letter, but its basically the same content. I sent a copy to:

Dave Mitchell - Safety Commissioner

Joe Carr ; Ben West, Jr ; Donna Rowland - State Representatives

Doug Jackson ; Bill Ketron - State Senators

Okay......you guys got my back ? Let's let them get a few similar letters in a short time span and see if it works !!! ;)

Bo,

Good for you but they are already making changes. They are changing everything. Not just a new video. You and I are both going to crap if they make half the changes they are attempting to make. I cant go into great detail, but its not all good and will cost guys like us lots more time and money to continue to teach. We should know more officially in Jan. I hope.

It's supposed to be....but then again, so is total training time of 8 hours. :chill:

Watching that video should be classified as cruel and unusual punishment. Just the safety errors that bozo makes is enough to tune the rest out.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
Watching that video should be classified as cruel and unusual punishment. Just the safety errors that bozo makes is enough to tune the rest out.

WhatHeSaid.gif

Guest HexHead
Bo,

Good for you but they are already making changes. They are changing everything. Not just a new video. You and I are both going to crap if they make half the changes they are attempting to make. I cant go into great detail, but its not all good and will cost guys like us lots more time and money to continue to teach. We should know more officially in Jan. I hope.

well jeez Phil, how about a hint? :)

I took my class 9 1/2 years ago, I guess the video just came out when I took it. LOLOLOL