S&W Revolver fans - Model 19-3

TNMTBik3r

I have been after this revolver for several years, belongs to a close family member, and I am finally close to owning it.

I wanted to share as I know several here are Smith fans. 

The 36th edition Blue Book prices this at $325 in 95% condition, plus $9 for the 4" model. I have watched Gunbroker over the past few weeks, these have been listed for $400 and up to over double that in various condition. I need to spend more time going over this to get a better idea of the condition.

I would appreciate any additional help in setting a value on this, as well as reading the label. TH and TT = target hammer / trigger I believe?

I believed we had discovered this revolver was produced in 1968 previously, but my search on Google turned up this serial number range as from 1969. Close enough either way.

I have shot this several times over the past few years and it is a great shooting piece. Very light and smooth trigger pull and extremely accurate with the .38 Special target rounds we used.

IMG_20160424_093153.jpgIMG_20160424_093033.jpgIMG_20160424_093137.jpg

IMG_20160424_093252.jpgIMG_20160424_093526.jpgIMG_20160424_093226.jpgIMG_20160424_093204.jpg

IMG_20160424_093453.jpgIMG_20160424_093827.jpgIMG_20160424_093544.jpgIMG_20160424_093704.jpg

Edited by jonathon1289
  • Like 1
That's a very nice example from the photos and worth every penny.

TT, & TH are indeed target trigger (wide and serrated). Not the best for fast DA work, but awesome for single action. The target hammer has a wider spur as in the photos.

I love that old blue S&W box with the wrapper.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

If you can get it for anywhere near that 325 you are stealing that pistol.  With original box and papers, that could get into 4 figures very easily on the open or auction market.

Yes I know some will disagree here, but go to looking for that combo and the ones I've seen over the last few years will start at 500+ and not look half that good.

And Yes...this is coming from a Smith fan who would love to own that one. You better lock this one up.

Edited by hipower
I figured $500 was the bottom of what this would be worth from what I saw online.

This belonged to a late uncle, his daughter / my cousin owns it now and she knows I want it. She has talked on and off about selling it for a few years. Because of some family health issues and travel that is required it was given to me for safe keeping. I am extremely close to this side of the family so there is an emotional attachment for me.

Now that it is in my safe I intend to keep it here!
  • Like 1
That's a very nice old smith. I have a 19-3 nickel 4" that I wouldn't sale for $1500. Of course it belonged to my dad and he passed it on to me. I agree with the others, when it comes to old smiths (and most guns in general), throw the books in the trash.
  • Moderators
For me my older S&W and Colt Revolvers are priceless. As stated already you can throw the book away on them. It comes down to what you are willing and can afford to pay. I have a few guns that public opinion would say I paid too much. But, they are hard to find, I found them, and had the means to pay the price. For some reason my brother and I got into collecting rifles and pistols manufactured in 1965 the year I was born, and 1970 the year he was born. It has been fun for us to hunt for each other. The conversations it has opened up between us has made some of our finds priceless just from the journey. I hope you get this beautiful gun for your collection. Edited by ggwilde
  • Like 4
I had pretty much the same gun but with a 6" barrel and sold it (stupid, stupid, stupid) for $625 a couple years ago. I can only imagine it's worth more now. And that was without a box.

Phenomenal gun. My only consolation is that I still have a 4" nickel 19-5, but no TH, TT, and not P&R. :/

Buy it, whatever it takes. Enjoy it for the rest of your life. :-)
Wow, yes the book is way off base then. I knew the old Colt snake guns had skyrocketed but did not realize these Smith's had until reading these posts and searching further on GunBroker.

I will probably go shoot it this weekend since it has been a while.

That Model in that condition with the 3 Ts in the box is easily worth $800. Probably go for more at auction. 

In recent years the folks with money have learned that collectible guns in good condition make excellent investments. They're buying them up at any price with the intention of sitting on them for a few years and reselling at a large profit. Because of this, prices on older S&W and Colt revolvers have gone absolutely nuts!  :eek:

I have guns in my safe that I bought years ago that are now worth 3 and even 4 times what I paid for them. The problem is that these speculators are making it damned hard for collectors who seek certain models for there collections to afford them.  :shake:

• Like 1