Truck in River

I came across a truck in the river in Columbia last weekend. I remember seeing something about in paper back around January. It rolled down the boat ramp and got washed down river about 1/4 mile. It's not visible from the ramp. But it's been there a couple months and is in ruins. I guess they've just left it because it's not in a good place to get to it to pull it out. I am gonna be kayaking later in the area and am gonna take a closer look at this "island". Never know what you'll find in the river. e623885b29781f27b2c24cc305558e29.jpg87c87080364d1b8a5216997cb6fde6e8.jpg

EPA will get them, insurance company has to remove it if they know about it.

Darn tootin-in Wisconsin if you leave a ice fishing shanty on the ice in the spring and it falls in the lake you had better get it out and quick before the DNR knows about it-very larger fine involved if not removed.Tn I am not so sure of but I would suppose near the same type laws involved.

I went up to it and looked around. Here's some pics. This thing has like 22 or 24 inch aftermarket wheels under the water. It looks to have been a woman's truck. Lots of woman things inside. The keys were laying in a clump of mud on the edge of the door about to fall out. There is an odd thing on the end of the lanyard. Anyone know what it is? I didn't think to lift the tailgate to see a tag. 09c94f22166b1e872117ebee777ccacf.jpgbf6991f06b107711d416570bdf8bd8fe.jpgfa58fcf67a02f5e198e299ec99e0c772.jpg8274272b2272f55a7f85e522272317c9.jpg355a086e1d3675fabe2f4db5a21ff757.jpg8ba341a98de1ed78c92acef7d118a284.jpg

I find it funny the decal says Aquaphobics. It don't get more aqua than that.

Can anyone explain the decal on the side that says "Aquaphobics"? It just seems too ironic. The sticker seems to have been on it a while. It was under the mud that I had to wash off. It's just weird a truck sitting in the river has a sticker on the side of the definition of being afraid of water.

There any roads nearby a wrecker could get to it?  If they look like expensive rims, it may be worth while to have it pulled to shore and jack them.

Although don't take that as advice, it may be illegal.

P.S. anyone on TGO needs some F-150 parts?  we may have found a donor vehicle  :bowrofl:

Edited by Sam1
Ok after some research I have found the owner owner on Facebook. It happened in December. Just Just a dumb mistake. It went down the ramp when the water was up just enough to wash it down. He said insurance did replace it so they own it now. He said at the time that the fire/rescue said they would just leave it in the river as is for training soon. I am going to try to see if I can make a deal afterwards to remove it. The insurance company I'm sure would rather let someone have it to move than pay to have it recovered. I have the equipment to get it out of there. Oh and the Keychain is some sort of bit from a drilling rig that he worked on and I am going to meet him soon to give it to him. He had just over here from Louisiana when it happened and lives in Spring Hill now. He said it had 40,000 miles on it.
  • Like 1
That's cool you are trying, but I don't think the insurance company will turn it over to you unless it's a small hometown joint.

They will have an appraiser check it out, then see if it goes to auction or scrap.

That looks like it is holding a stone. Also, it looks rough enough that I would think it is home made. Might hold a lot of sentimental value for someone, especially a women.

When I got I touch with him I just had to ask. He said it was part of a bit from an oil rig he worked on for years. I never would have guessed.

When I saw the pic of the fob on the end of the key ring that was the first thing that came to my mind was that it was fashioned to look like an oilfield drill bit... But then again I was born in the oilpatch down south and my father as well as my fathers father and brother too were at one time all Driller's....

• Like 1

The owner is going to put me in touch with the insurance company to see if I can even make a deal to buy it.

Interesting.    I'm going to guess the insurance company is going to ask more than you think even though the value to them is very low.    Assuming you come to an agreeable price, what do you plan on doing with it? 

Interesting. I'm going to guess the insurance company is going to ask more than you think even though the value to them is very low. Assuming you come to an agreeable price, what do you plan on doing with it?

It's got what look to be 35's on some really nice wheels. The body panels and tailgate and bumper/hitch and maybe some drivetrain/suspension parts may be salvageable. The bed is in good shape. No dents just mud. I figure they will want too much but who knows?

That engine would be salvageable too provided a good powertrain mechanic tear it down immediately after it comes out of the water before a lot of air gets to it and corrodes parts together. 

My days in the military, I saw several hummers go underwater and they were tore down after recovery and put back into service with a minimum of parts. Electronics are toast, but the mechanical stuff can be cleaned and reassembled. Even at six months, once it's full of water, not much oxidation is taking place.

• Like 2