Composite Decking Boards

So anyone have experience with composite decking boards. I debating replacing the floor on my deck with composite floor boards.

We have composite flooring on the front porch but it was installed by the builder, so I don't know the brand or how it is to work with.

I was thinking of putting a deck off my back porch and looked at composite board too, but the price scared me off!

A search for an alternative brought up NyloBoard  http://nyloboard.com/  Looks interesting.  Don't know what the cost is (which makes me think it's expensive) but, according to their website, it has a 25 year warranty and termites won't touch it. 

I tend to agree with Monkey as due to some builder issues with the cement based "Hardy Plank" on our porches I've been having to replace/repair a few and the local lumber store sold me a plastic composite board that has a deep wood grain embossed into it and since it did not match in color I had to paint it. It is not slippery at all took to the paint very well. It was easy to work with and the cut ends look like plastic particle board. Our neighbors have the same stuff that has 10 or more years age and while it needs to be cleaned of a bit of green growth he said it has been of absolutely no worry...

Have Dex (Lowes) on a 8 year old deck.  No warping, looseness, etc. Screwed down to a firm sunstrate of Yellowwood 2x10,s.   (Has no structural value)  No slicker when wet than a stained board.  No splinters even.  Some color loss as you have to clean it but Olyimpic makes a cleaner that does not require a pressure washer and sun.  I would use it again.   I believe in the old adage: "Pay me now or pay me later"

Edited by RoadKill

Neighbor has a deck about the same dimensions as mine built with composite floor and railings in 1995 (same as my house) and their deck still looks about 75% new.  Mine was in much worse shape with regular wood, that's why I tried the restore garbage.

No clue on pricing differences, but you know that good wood costs a pretty penny anyways.

One thing I like about the stuff we have on the front porch is it can take a pretty good pressure washing without stripping or gouging like wood.

Yes it can be a little slippery but I'm thinking the low maintenance is worth it. Going to use a light grey color and leave the railing dark brown which will match the front. It's just gonna be a lot of work.

Neil, I have it on my back deck and I'm pretty happy with it. It came with the house though so I'm not sure what it cost. I will say the only downside is that stains are hard to get out of it. I did pressure wash it even though I don't think you're supposed to. I just put on the lowest PSI nozzle I had and went to town on it. It came out looking a little better but still stained from dirt and leaves sitting on it.

Overall I'm glad we have it. I'm hoping it lasts longer than we plan on being in this house.

If you end up using pressure treated plan on replacing it in about 6-7 years. The chemicals they are using now have no life to them. Original deck on my house is 15 years old. Looks like crap but it still solid. The new deck I added on 8 years ago has about half the boards completely rotted. I have to tear the whole thing down.