Perfecta 9mm ammo far from perfecta

I picked up 1200 rounds of 9mm Perfecta in 50-round boxes, and it was anything but perfecta.

I grabbed four random boxes and took 'em to the range with a Gen 4 G19 and G26. Both guns are stock, including the magazines. Both were used by multiple shooters. Both experienced multiple FTF's and FTE's. I didn't keep count, but I'm confident the failure rate was between 50% - 75%. I was too annoyed after 150 rounds, so we didn't try the last box. There were zero malfunctions when using CorBon DPX ammunition.

I also took 200 rounds of .308 Perfecta, and it ran flawlessly in a PTR 91.

Anyway, I've got a call into TulAmmo, who I believe is the distributor for Perfecta, and also handles their customer service issues. This is my first real negative ammo experience, so I'm not sure how they are usually handled. If I had a box or two left, I probably wouldn't waste my time complaining. But over 1000 rounds is complaint-worthy in my book.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a ton as well. I have a Solo DC in 9mm, but nothing else.  The solo won't hardly feed it, but it's only 115 and the solo wants 124 and up.  Curious as to how this ends up and others experience with the ammo.  I had thought about finding another 9mm range toy to eat up all this ammo.

Good to hear the .308 has been solid, hope the .223 is the same.

I've shot about 800 rounds through my CZ Shadow with one failure to load. The gun was also dirty at the time. I've had extremely good luck with the stuff and I think it's cleaner and shoots better for me than anything in that price range.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
I bought a boatload of Perfecta in 9, 40, 224, and 308 back when it was dirt cheap. I've been through 4 or 5 cases all together, and have about as much left to use.

All has gone boom, and surprisingly the 308 is very close to MOA in my M&P10. It probably DOES shoot MOA, but I'm not so good with the long guns yet. I'm shooting 2.5-3" 3 shot groups at 200 yds. 5 shots are generally inside of 3.5" at the same 200 yds. Edited by musicman

Maybe you can call Fiocchi USA and the can put you in touch with Tula. Since they made it.

I just got off the phone with Brad (?) at TulAmmo. He suggested I go through and separate lot numbers, then take another trip to the range to see if I can narrow it down. I'll try to do just that within the coming days.

Just wanted to post a quick follow-up. After talking with Adam, the customer service guy at TulAmmo, I decided to take another trip to the range and document all of the FTF's and FTE's. 

After sorting through all 1300 rounds (not 1200, as I first thought), I have what appears to be 8 or 9 different lot numbers. I had 8 boxes left (we shot two boxes) of one of the lots numbers from the first trip to the range, and none (we shot the only box) of the other lot number. 

For the second range trip, we took two boxes of one of the same lot numbers as the first trip, and one other random box because we didn't have any more of the second lot number. 

We shot the ammo through the same Glocks and magazines as the first trip, and also included a M&P 9 Shield with two magazines. 

In the end, it turned out to be a complete waste of time and ammo, as we could not replicate the first range trip. There wasn't a single malfunction.  :shrug: 

The only difference between the first and second range trips was the fact that we didn't have anymore of one of the lot numbers. We shot the only 50-round box during the first trip. I was pretty confident that the FTF/FTE rate was between 50%-75%, but it's beginning to look like it could have been slightly less. I really hope it was just one problematic box.  

Edited by TripleDigitRide

I agree something has changed with this ammo. My old luger ran great on the stuff until my last outing. It would not feed from round to round like it was light on charge and I had one to snap. There was a small amount of un-burnt powder Which by the way is not black it's the color of sand or clay.  I'm going to run some in my Browning and see how it goes. Everybody should watch for sqibbs because the only thing worse than a busted handgun is to be hurt with one.     

Edited by Sunfish