Form 1 supressor/darkened Ti

Hey all,
I've got a couple serialized tubes I haven't started to fill yet. This idea came up on another site. Pretty much using OxiClean(not Oxy) powdered detergent additive to lightly oxidize shiny Titanium.
Here's how it goes, get container that'll hold your parts and allow enough water to cover them, boil said water, mix 4 scoops OxiClean and let it sit for a few hours or more, pull it out and wipe down, add a few drops of gun oil, run and done. One caveat, must prep metal, I used a green 3m pad to smooth and sand and I used acetone to degrease and didn't touch with bare hands after and a finish wash of dawn soap and warm water.
Parts on left, turned spacer material right
3b7eee849e17ad19e02538e5aa9b278e.jpg
In solution
ea7dccce2a5bf4998ff24c69e356049f.jpg
After 3.5hrs
6cfe3cbf01a48d4ed640873ca4abbcc1.jpg
1 drop FP10 rubbed on lower 1/4
2db4d793be3e8ee383cf7e7d63c6c81f.jpg
Final product, same spacer for reference
5530d8e04e658b01d85558830e6721af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Would love to see a live, well documented suppressor build from a TGO'er.
Interest piqued... :popcorn:

I have another, it was really easy to build from repurposed stuff. Ran $450+stamp. Titanium solvent trap and titanium VSR's. 8.5"x 1.625"OD, 30cal, shown on 10.5" 300blk SBR
a972e67ef9fc8986e796d39eaed0c15a.jpg
2bc4a3791528401a7142cd784db2ab2f.jpg
09cd5d80f10b4d356ec5ce4b8a3851f7.jpg
f5061896bb87697f29fa3dad4575f2c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
The parts above, another solvent trap, made from Grade 5 Ti, about $230. It is a .357 cal can made mostly for 5.5" 9 AR SBR and .357 Max Handi rifle. Works on Griffin Armament rifle taper mounts, bored out .413. I just bought a lathe, it'll get filled with clipped 60degree cones. Waiting on 6more form 1 supressor stamps and 2 more SBR's. Edited by Jct1911
  • Like 1

I would love to see that thing burnished with a brown coloring compound then ran over with a blue.  Wouldn't be subdued, but it would definitely be bad ass.

Edited by Sam1

I'm interested to see the new one you'll make on your lathe from raw materials, and interested to see what that can get the cost of the silencer down to.
Specifically interested in the type of baffles you're able to produce and the effectiveness of the totally homemade silencer compared to a factory product.
My 30 cal can, an AAC 762sd, cost me 650 including the ratcheting mount, and it came with a "free" AAC pilot2 .22 cal can, so that cost compared to the 30 cal one you made using parts from the site you linked may not be enough savings for me.
On the other hand, my AAC cans are not titanium.
Looking forward to seeing the processes and expenses of your new totally homemade silencer.

There's a couple different ways to look at the cost of the VSR 30 cal above.
1. The cost was spread out over multiple purchases. $200 stamp, $150 VSR's, $300 solvent trap. Never had to lay down a large chunk, kinda like building AR's.
2. I don't have any stocking class 3 dealers near me and they have taxes and transfer fees for those that are class 3.
3. The pride of self accomplishment.
4. The least expensive all Ti cans run in the low $700 range before stamp
5. Weighs 18oz, petty light considering size
I have shot it next to other people's commercial cans, it is on par with those, none were newest hottest models out though.
If a commercial can was easier for me to get, I'd most likely gone that route. For baffles I'll make, I'll only follow in footsteps previously laid out in the commercial market, the skirted and clipped 60degree conical baffle is well proven, my machine skills to date are not :)
I've got a few projects that will make a form 1 a necessity, a titanium 50 Beowulf can and a integral Mauser in 45auto. Both have commercial samples, neither is cheap.
  • Like 1

SD tactical makes a tube that accepts Liberty or Gemtech LID. It is their "B" tube and it is the perfect size for 9mm, 45 and work great on my 22. It is a titanium tube that is thicker than most pistol cans.

I've actually got one of those also. Turned down between the threads to get weight down, walls are overly thick. It's off getting laser engraving and cerakote as we speak.