Electric Fence for my Garden

So I decided that my dogs just can't keep up with the squirrels; last year I didn't get a single tomato out of my raised garden due to the squirrels, got a bunch of jalapenos though .  So this year, I moved my garden over a bit and planted my vegies and what do you know something, probably a squirrel, was digging around the plants.  Luckily no plants dug up yet, I planted them through weed barrier so it may protect them a bit from digging but not from them just chewing on young tomato's.  Harbor Freight had some coupons in an email which had a 20% off and a free electronic fly swatter, love those too, so I went and go me a solar fence energizer and some supplies at Rural King to put a few strands around the legs of my raised garden, high enough not to zap my dogs but should be enough to give them pesky critters a wakeup call.  Anyone else try this?  I know it won't be like my bug zapper, love that sound, but as long as it works I don't mind the expense of it; and everything is reusable and portable so might have other uses as well.

Electric fences for pests need to be wired different. I learned this with my honey bees...

Bottom wire hot, next ground, next hot, repeat. You can't rely on small animals being grounded to the soil like livestock they just don't weigh enough.

Don't know if this works on squirrels as they need to touch both wires to get a hit.

I know they sell electric fence netting for protecting chickens from foxes and weasels that might work better.

Don't worry about your dogs. Mine can sense the electricity and stay away on their own, but then again I don't have squirrels inside the fence to chase.?

Yea, I got the wiring scheme using a security fence which expects rubber soles.  I am spacing the wires only a couple inches apart so the squirrel will have a better chance of touching both wires.

I have a pallet gun, but unfortunately they come when I am not around.  I would love nothing more than to have a few sandwiches out of my garden  :devil:

Take a look at a havaheart motion sensing sprinkler too. I have a buddy that used them for crows & bluejays.

I seen those, but it requires water pressure to work and I don't want to leave the hose running.  I do have an owl that makes noise when something passes by, but don't know if it's water proof.