TN Lifetime HCP Now $200

22 hours ago, dcloudy777 said:

Hmm... interesting.  I had no interest at $500, but I'll probably go ahead and pony up $200.

The bad part is, the lifetime (and new 8-year renewal cycle), means we're never going to get NICS/TICS exemption for permit holders.  Oh well, good news/bad news.

When did the renewal cycle change?  Are you sure that is accurate?  Last I heard, the state legislature changed the HCP cycle to every five years to be pro-rated so it would coincide with our driver's licenses and then promptly changed the driver's license cycle to every eight years, completely invalidating the logic behind all the hassle of pro-rating and so on to get the HCP on a five year cycle because the two still won't sync.

Edited by JAB
4 minutes ago, JAB said:

When did the renewal cycle change?  Are you sure that is accurate?  Last I heard, the state legislature changed the HCP cycle to every five years to be pro-rated so it would coincide with our driver's licenses and then promptly changed the driver's license cycle to every eight years, completely invalidating the logic behind all the hassle of pro-rating and so on to get the HCP on a five year cycle because the two still won't sync.

Just renewed and mine is for 6(HCP). DL is 5 and expires next year. It would be nice if they synced but no big deal for me. Takes a whole lot of whacky to get me hot and bothered about pittly things.

7 minutes ago, JAB said:

Changed this most recent session to sync with DL at eight years, phasing that in now after wasting two years of effort to sync with the 5 year cycle.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB2575&GA=109

- OS

29 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Changed this most recent session to sync with DL at eight years, phasing that in now after wasting two years of effort to sync with the 5 year cycle.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB2575&GA=109

- OS

Whatever the hell they did, I paid $87.50 for 7 years to get me synched with an age divisible by 5 just before starting this thread.  About two weeks after I got the renewed permit I got a refund check from The State for $12.50.

If they keep screwing around like this than whatever "surplus" they've reaped that justified the lower lifetime fee will be completely wasted in trying to keep track of it all.

Edited by Garufa
6 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Whatever the hell they did, I paid $87.50 for 7 years to get me synched with an age divisible by 5 just before starting this thread.  About two weeks after I got the renewed permit I got a refund check from The State for $12.50.

If they keep screwing around like this then whatever "surplus" they've reaped that justified the lower lifetime fee will be completely wasted in trying to keep track of it all.

Yeah, whole thing is a frigging mess. TNDOS is probably caught in between what they had already programmed and the new requirements, whatever.

It might work out eventually if they'll leave it all alone for 6 or 8 years. Which is unlikely, as our idiots in Nashville insist on continually doing badly what need not be done at all.

My recent renewal was 87.50 also, I see check was cashed, we'll see if similar happens with mine.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

If they keep screwing around like this than whatever "surplus" they've reaped that justified the lower lifetime fee will be completely wasted in trying to keep track of it all.

Find a frame for the check. It'll be a collectors item, LOL

14 hours ago, jhc77 said:

Just renewed and mine is for 6(HCP). DL is 5 and expires next year. It would be nice if they synced but no big deal for me. Takes a whole lot of whacky to get me hot and bothered about pittly things.

Your DL will be eight when renewed.  Renewed mine online Saturday before last.  The new license came yesterday and is good until 2024 - but doesn't expire on my birthday.

I can now officially say 100% for sure that the HCP is NOT currently renewing on an eight year cycle while the driver's license is now good for eight years.

I had to be in Kingston early this morning so I went to the Rockwood Drivers Services Center and renewed my permit in person.  Walked right up to the counter, filled out the paperwork at the counter, had my picture taken, paid ($62.50) and was out within about 15 minutes of walking in the door.  Before renewing I specifically asked the (pretty) lady at the counter if the eight year renewal had gone into effect, yet and she said that it hasn't.

I also asked about the expiration date on my driver's license, which I renewed via the Internet earlier this month, is good for eight years and which arrived in the mail this week.  She said that there wasn't an error - our DL expiration date is no longer automatically set to our birth date.  That is annoying because expiring on my birthday made it easier to remember.

Edited by JAB

This ultra-confusing nonsense about renewal dates is pretty much exactly why I'm gonna pony up the 2 bills for the lifetime permit.   :doh:

Of course, mine isn't up until 2018, so they'll probably change it by then.  I wonder if I could renew early....

7 hours ago, dcloudy777 said:

This ultra-confusing nonsense about renewal dates is pretty much exactly why I'm gonna pony up the 2 bills for the lifetime permit.   :doh:

Of course, mine isn't up until 2018, so they'll probably change it by then.  I wonder if I could renew early....

I would have done that except those of us whose renewal dates fall between last April (when the change for a lifetime permit from $500 to $200 was passed) and next January (when the change officially takes place) are getting screwed over because if I renewed for lifetime now the price would still be $500.

I really don't understand the need for the eight month delay except that it might make the state more $$$ from those who aren't aware of the change and get the lifetime before next January.

Edited by JAB
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to add a little to the details:

My renewed HCP arrived in the mail earlier this week.  Unlike TN driver's licenses which now expire after an eight year period on the day they were renewed rather than on our birthday as was the case previously, my HCP - which previously expired in August of every four years - now expires on my birthday in June of 2021.  Geez.

Edited by JAB
1 hour ago, JAB said:

Just to add a little to the details:

My renewed HCP arrived in the mail earlier this week.  Unlike TN driver's licenses which now expire after an eight year period on the day they were renewed rather than on our birthday as was the case previously, my HCP - which previously expired in August of every four years - now expires on my birthday in June of 2021.  Geez.

New one on me. Thought the whole thing of the first 5 and then 8 year jockeying around of either/both was to sync them both to birth date.

Of course, it didn't help that TNDOS has been for the last couple years, and STILL IS, according to website, jacking the time around to still meet the 5 year cycle, and not the new 8 year one.

At any rate, the schizoid way the legislature has done the "battle of the licenses" over the last couple years has been a real SNAFUBAR, and has to wind up costing more than the eventual savings touted will realize for a long time, if ever.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2016 at 5:12 PM, Oh Shoot said:

New one on me. Thought the whole thing of the first 5 and then 8 year jockeying around of either/both was to sync them both to birth date.

Of course, it didn't help that TNDOS has been for the last couple years, and STILL IS, according to website, jacking the time around to still meet the 5 year cycle, and not the new 8 year one.

At any rate, the schizoid way the legislature has done the "battle of the licenses" over the last couple years has been a real SNAFUBAR, and has to wind up costing more than the eventual savings touted will realize for a long time, if ever.

- OS

Ha! New from Hersheys, a confectioners tribute to the Tennessee Legislature - the SNAFUBAR.  It is, of course, full of nuts as well as empty calories which really contribute nothing to the flavor, texture or nutritional value.  As for the rest of the ingredients, like most of the legislation they pass, we really aren't sure what the hell is in there but regardless it is probably pretty useless.

Sorry, your combining of 'SNAFU' and 'FUBAR' really struck me as funny.  As for the birth date on the license, yeah, I thought it might be a mistake so when I went in person to renew my permit I asked about it.  The lady at the counter told me that it isn't a mistake and that now driver's licenses expire (after eight years, of course) on the date that they were renewed/processed.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

$200 Lifetime will be worth it for the simple fact that I will never have to sit in that dreaded waiting room at my DMV for three hours again.

Also- not sure who all this applies to, but I am Military and I applied for mine at the DMV on a Thursday, scheduled for and was finger printed on Friday, had my permit in my mailbox the next Thursday afternoon. By my count that's 4 business days including mailing from the point of submission. Outstanding.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, lanceputnam said:

$200 Lifetime will be worth it for the simple fact that I will never have to sit in that dreaded waiting room at my DMV for three hours again.

Also- not sure who all this applies to, but I am Military and I applied for mine at the DMV on a Thursday, scheduled for and was finger printed on Friday, had my permit in my mailbox the next Thursday afternoon. By my count that's 4 business days including mailing from the point of submission. Outstanding.

Cool.  I applied back when the first big push to get the HCP hit (hard to believe it was eight years ago, now) and it very nearly took the entire three months for mine to arrive in the mail.

As for waiting for a long time at the DMV, I am lucky enough to live fairly close to one of their offices that is fairly small, serves a couple of small towns and is rarely crowded.  When I went in to renew this most recent time I didn't even sit in the waiting room at all.  Walked up to the counter, filled out the paperwork at the counter, got processed, paid and was out of there.  Of course it just so happened that I was in that area for a very early medical appointment, anyhow, so I went in there about ten minutes after they opened.  The last time I renewed there it was the middle of the day.  They gave me the paperwork and a clipboard, I went and sat in the lobby to fill out said paperwork and they called me up as I was finishing the last line or two of the paperwork.  Now, I took my mom there when it was time to renew hers and it was a day that school was out so there were a lot of hopeful new drivers there to get licenses, etc.  On top of that, their computers weren't working just right.  I think it took a whole thirty minutes to get in and out that time - maybe forty five.  Still, when renewal time comes again I will most likely go for the lifetime.  If I had done it this time it would have still been $500.  Not a bargain.

Edited by JAB
On 7/16/2016 at 10:40 AM, Royal Range USA said:

That is a great deal. Maybe that will encourage more people to seek out a carry permit here in Tennessee. 

Well, I think a 'great deal' would be if there were no cost or maybe a minimal processing fee (five or ten bucks) but for those who are likely to be around and have a permit long enough that they would end up spending more than $200 in their lifetime then it is pretty good, relatively speaking.

Honestly, if a person can pay X amount and be good to go for the rest of his or her life then why can't the $115 we pay when originally applying be enough?  Why does having $200 to shell out all at once make someone any more 'safe' to carry than someone who shells out $50 for a four year renewal, etc.?  Is there some, magic database that costs $200 to access but that can show the state that you will never commit a crime or any violation that would make you ineligible for an HCP?  Does it cost less to print an expiration date on a permit card than it does to print 'life time' or whatever?  Truthfully, it probably costs the state a lot less to issue one time, lifetime permits.  Honestly, it shows that the HCP system in TN is about making money for the state more than anything else.

Edited by JAB
22 hours ago, Scorpion Equalizer said:

My permit was ready to expire in September, and I just received my renewal that took less than thirty days after paying $34.50. Now my permit expires in January 2019, the same as my DL.

Geez, could this whole thing possibly be more confusing?  Of course mine is probably a bit of an 'uncommon' case because it happened to fall that my DL had to be renewed at pretty much the same time as my HCP so I got the 'new' five year renewal for my HCP (which would have put it in line with my DL under the old DL renewal cycle) and the even newer 8 year renewal on my DL which, of course, took it out of sync with my HCP.  :wall:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The wife and I both got the $500 lifetime carry permits last year.  We are far too old for it to be a good economic decision, but I looked at it this way:

The government usually tries to reduce screams and cries from the populace by grandfathering in the present folks, and placing the restrictions on those in the future.  Take SS, for instance.  They did NOT cut SS for those drawing it, but instead grandfathered them in and placed the new age limits only on those that were not receiving it yet. 
Due to this, I figure that if TN decides to stop the carry permit program at any time in the future, they will simply stop issuing new permits rather than try to cancel all those already issued, and deal with all the repercussions that would bring.  I figured that by getting our lifetime permits, we are pretty safe to have the right to carry even if the political tide turns against us.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, AmPaTerry said:

The wife and I both got the $500 lifetime carry permits last year.  We are far too old for it to be a good economic decision, but I looked at it this way:

The government usually tries to reduce screams and cries from the populace by grandfathering in the present folks, and placing the restrictions on those in the future.  Take SS, for instance.  They did NOT cut SS for those drawing it, but instead grandfathered them in and placed the new age limits only on those that were not receiving it yet. 
Due to this, I figure that if TN decides to stop the carry permit program at any time in the future, they will simply stop issuing new permits rather than try to cancel all those already issued, and deal with all the repercussions that would bring.  I figured that by getting our lifetime permits, we are pretty safe to have the right to carry even if the political tide turns against us.

I can see this happening. You just never know nowadays.  

AMENDMENT #2 rewrites this bill to make the fee for a lifetime carry permit equal to the regular carry permit fee plus a lifetime carry fee of $200. Under present law, the regular permit fee is $115, so the lifetime permit fee would be $315. This amendment provides that a holder of a regular permit who is applying for renewal may obtain instead a lifetime permit upon payment of $200. 

Okay...which is it. $200 or $315?  $200 for current holders at time of renewal  and 315 for new permit applications. Is that correct? 

6 hours ago, Randall53 said:

Okay...which is it. $200 or $315?  $200 for current holders at time of renewal  and 315 for new permit applications. Is that correct? 

$300 for newbies. New statute also lowered initial price from $115 to 100.

- OS

• Like 1