TN Lifetime HCP Now $200

Well, count me in on the screwed. At 56 this month and my permit expiring in November I have to either pay $500, (not happening), or pay $50 to renew for 4 years in order to sync with my 60th birthday. At 60 the lifetime at $200 doesn't seem worth it. I don't plan to live until 80. :(

38 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Well, count me in on the screwed. At 56 this month and my permit expiring in November I have to either pay $500, (not happening), or pay $50 to renew for 4 years in order to sync with my 60th birthday. At 60 the lifetime at $200 doesn't seem worth it. I don't plan to live until 80. :(

Oh I don't know, it might be worth it just so you don't have to remember to fill out the renewal.

So as I had read the new law earlier today it stated that yes for $200 you can have a lifetime permit with a background check required every 5 years, Are we suppose to pay for the background check or is this included in the renewal fee? Is it possible that I read and earlier amendment to the law?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could chance letting your permit 'expire'....and reapply after Jan 1 for the lifetime permit at the new $200 rate.  You still have 6 mos from expiration date to  renew without having to take the class over............of course technically speaking, you have no permit for a couple of months.  I would want to check just to make sure that would work with the DOS, but looks like it would.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Also 18-20 year olds in/honorably discharged from military can get permits also.

- OS

Is this new? I wonder if it will impact reciprocity with other states. I have seen other states drop reciprocity over the age requirement.

I'm glad to hear that military members have the ability to get a permit though. 

• Like 1
On 8/4/2016 at 2:53 PM, Oh Shoot said:

$300 for newbies. New statute also lowered initial price from $115 to 100.

- OS

I moved to Knoxville from GA in October, and have put off getting my HCP for one reason or another. Now I'm glad that I did! At 37, $300 for a lifetime license is pretty likely worth it for me. 

I wonder how the lifetime permit affects reciprocity. It isn't worth it to me if the lifetime permit is not recognized by fewer states than currently do as I travel frequently to many other states. And if I got it and other states refused to recognize it I probably couldn't go back to the periodic renewal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, chances R said:

TN only has one kind of permit so can't see how that would affect reciprocity by simply an extension of expiration date.

Especially since background check is run at same interval anyway.

The 18 year old change is the more likely one to make some states consider dropping recognition/reciprocity. Or maybe a state that felt that way might be nice and only honor the HCP for 21 year olds.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Minnesota just ended reciprocity with TN. I know most of you won't care but I have a lot of family there so it's disappointing for me.

"after researching the laws of other states and communicating with their representatives, four states are no longer eligible for reciprocity because their state laws include age and training exemptions that are “NOT similar” to Minnesota laws that mandate a minimum age of 21 and require specific Permit to Carry training for all applicants. These states are: Arkansas, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.”

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Minnesota just ended reciprocity with TN. I know most of you won't care but I have a lot of family there so it's disappointing for me.

"after researching the laws of other states and communicating with their representatives, four states are no longer eligible for reciprocity because their state laws include age and training exemptions that are “NOT similar” to Minnesota laws that mandate a minimum age of 21 and require specific Permit to Carry training for all applicants. These states are: Arkansas, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.”

Yeah, that's reflected at handgunlaw.us also. Didn't realize I was being prophetic in the post above :(.  Hope that's not the tip of an iceberg.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
8 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Yeah, that's reflected at handgunlaw.us also. Didn't realize I was being prophetic in the post above :(.  Hope that's not the tip of an iceberg.

- OS

Did you miss my post above where I quoted you and wondered if this would happen? :wave:

Lowering the permit age will, even if for 18-20 yr old military, will cause us reciprocity problems just like if we dropped the live fire and class requirement.

I doubt very many eligible 18-20 year olds will get a permit.  It will be interesting to see how many actually go through the process and if we lose more than what was gained.

I can certainly see why other states look at this negatively.  Two negatives..... no training on the law plus the age.  Overall it will have a negative effect on traveling Tennesseans and it will be interesting to see how this age group impacts the overall image of Tennessee HCP holders

3 hours ago, 300winmag said:

I doubt very many eligible 18-20 year olds will get a permit. 

There will be very few 18-20 year olds honorably discharged from the military. With some exceptions, an enlistment is at least 4 years, meaning 21 would be the youngest a person would normally honorably separate, and that would be after enlisting at 17 with parental permission, if that's even still a thing. Short of reinstating the 2-year draft, the only ways I can think of an under-21 honorable discharge are going to be medical discharge or force reductions.

This really is a stupid law that helps very few people and hurts us on reciprocity. It would have made sense if they had included active duty 18-20 year olds. It would have still hurt us on reciprocity, but it would have at least helped more than just a handful of special cases qualify for an HCP.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, chances R said:

If one is active duty and I would venture to say in the national guard or reserve I bet they qualify.  Not supporting that but would not surprise me.

When all else fails, read the directions. ;)

As I understand it, national guard/reserve is not active duty unless actually deployed somewhere? They didn't seem to put any clarifying definition into the change, or in definitions at start of the entire weapons section.

" (2) The applicant is at least eighteen (18) years of age; and

(A) Is an honorably discharged or retired veteran of the United States armed forces or is a member of the United States armed forces on active duty status; and

(B)  (i) Includes with the application a certified copy of the applicant's certificate of release or discharge from active duty, department of defense form 214 (DD 214); or

(ii) Includes with the application a military identification card or such other document as the commissioner designates as sufficient proof that the applicant is an active duty member of the military."

But what with losing recogniton with x number of states, this seems to be just another case of "doing badly what need not be done at all". Very leftish idea really, screw the vast majority to avail a tiny minority.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Yep. Only on active duty status during drills and deployments. So basically this little feel good stroke by the legislature which will benefit a very, very small group has and will continue to cost us reciprocity in other states. That will also be a matter of limited effect for most folks as they probably don't travel a whole lot (unless we lose reciprocity with some neighboring states). It has an immediate effect on me as I routinely travel the lower 48 as a truck driver. Looks like I have to study up on the OC laws for a few more states now. 

I may be staking some unpopular ground here, or not, but this was a bad law. From idea to execution of that idea, it was ill-thought out with zero forethought of the consequences. 

A real easy easy and simple way they could have achieved the same goal would have been to allow an active duty military ID to serve as an equivalent to the HCP. I'm sure there are flaws in that plan, but it would have limited the fallout to inside the state. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

I can care less about reciprocity,  I did fine without it when places like IL made me store mine while crossing them. As a whole I support 18yo CCW, for all not just military.  But you have to start somewhere, and there are but a few that will argue against giving military extra benefits so not a bad place to start.  The way I figure is if they want to use 18 as the age of adulthood, then that should include everything, if not then move everything to 21, or 25, or whatever.  As to the whole active duty thing, I suppose Reservists and NG can apply while on drill.