Getting older - challenges for the range (eyes and hands)

Hi Everyone, 

Here's what going on and I appreciate any feedback.  I'm in my early 50's.   I'm having a couple of issues that have been creeping up on me.  

Issue #1 - Vision

As most folks my age, my up close vision is going.  Distance vision is fine.  What is happening is the Rear/Front sight alignment on my handgun is "fuzzy".  I can see the front dot, but the rear sight is lost.   It's hampering my enjoyment of showing my daughter's fiance how to put 7 in the middle of the target.  What can I do to improve my shooting?

Issue #2 - Shaking Hands

After about 30 rounds or so, my right hand starts getting the shakes.  If I lean against a post, no problem.  I just can free hand shoot because my dern right hand (dominant) hand is shaking.  Also, it feels like my wrist starts to burn like a carpal tunnel thing.   Am I just getting weak and old??  Anyone else experience this?

Any and all feedback is appreciated!!

DH

Not many of us can hold our hand up that long. Figuring 10 seconds a shot that means 300 seconds or 5 minutes. I could not hold my hand up that long without shaking without a gun.

BTW, what kind of gun is it? A six pounder hand cannon would be harder to hold up too.

As far as not being able to hit the center, move closer. It sounds like you shoot a lot so I bet if you move forward you will still outshoot the average person. Or get glasses.

There is a reason most older guys tend to get into bench rest or other slow shooting sports. It is because we are not as strong, keen or as quick as we once were. But along the way we gain the wisdom we needed when we were strong, keen and quick.
  • Like 3

I have some ideas for you.  To answer your question, yes, you are getting older and weaker.  However, that certainly doesn't mean that there isn't anything that you can do about it.  Like a doc said to me once, "Once you hit 50, the warranty on your body runs out", which I have experienced myself at age 52.

Regarding your sight, 90% of people start having trouble seeing things up close in their 40's. I'm assuming that you currently don't have prescription glasses.

I would start with a cheap pair of reading glasses from Wal-Mart or the dollar store.  They may not work, though it's worth trying them.  The reason they may not work is that they are set up to focus at the distance we read from and you hold a gun further away than that.  You've probably see folks with tri-focals.  One of the panes is for close up and the other one is for the distance a gun is from you.

Most people shoot with two hands, so I'm guessing you do as well.  This sounds like more of a strength issue and there may be some arthritis or tendonitis getting involved.

Regarding strength, one of the many things that suck about again is that we lose muscle mass.  Fortunately, there are things you can do for strengthening.  

If you have health insurance, I would suggest going to see a physical therapist.  I have one that is absolutely awesome, though she's in Franklin.

I'll share what I would do in case you don't have insurance.  If anything I suggest causes pain then don't do it.  That is really important.

You know those foam rubber squeezy things that you squeeze with your hands.  You may try one of them.  you could fold and and roll up a washcloth or two if you can't find one.  Also, dry firing will help build up strength.  I'm guessing that your right hand is getting tired, so the key is to build some endurance.  

I have to build back up when I have been shooting for a while, especially if shooting my .45 Govt. Model.

This is not the time in life to let ego and testosterone get in your way.  They will lead to injury which may be serious.

Probably time to say good bye to .357 Magnum,  44 Magnum, etc... and hello to .22, 9mm, .38 and .44 Special.   Stop shooting if your wrist starts burning.  Ice is your friend.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

The front sight is the important one for defensive ranges.  Be happy you can see it.  :D

I put laser grips on my carry gun due to dim (mer) vision.  I'm wondering how much recoil I can stand now that I have tendinitis in my shoulder.  Getting old sucks, but really they're all just minor annoyances.

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

I'm 67 so tell me about getting older. laugh.gif I used to be able to put 4 out of 5 in a quarter sized spot at 15 yards. Now I'm happy to get them in the size of a fist. Still.....it's good enough. I think this helps with the shakes and keeps my range time enjoyable instead of frustrating. I also take my time at the range...I've got plenty of that at least. I practice double or triple taps...then lower my weapon and repeat until the mag is empty. Then I take a break sitting down while I change mags or doing whatever. At the end of my session I do a mag change or two.....just to keep in practice.

As far as eyesight....well I can't read crapola or do anything close up without my bifocals so I get it. But over the past few years I shoot with both eyes open and focus on the front sight through to the target.....it seems to work for me.

So...good glasses, take your time and if you're not doing something for hand strength already you might want to consider it. I work with my hands every day so at least they still seem to work okay.laugh.gif Good luck and don't get frustrated.

• Like 6

Enfield,

I have dislocated my shoulder twice (which damages the rotator cuff most of the time) and have crappy rotator cuffs on both shoulders.

When I am consistent with my physical therapy I don't have any trouble.  When I skip it for a while they start aching.  Also, if I haven't been shooting for a while, I have to build up some muscle endurance.

All of my shoulder phys. therapy revolves around strengthening the muscles of the shoulder as well as keeping mobility in the joints

• Like 1

The aging process is NOT for sissies.  You'll just have to find out what works for you.  A visit to the dr might help provide some insight to the situation with your wrist, and a visit to an eye doctor should help solve the vision issue(s).  Getting some glasses just for shooting may/may not help, cheapo readers may or may not work.

I've worn corrective lenses since I was 13, now staring at 61 pretty hard, tri-focals for the last 5 yrs or so, I bump into small things w/o my glasses.  I can see door frames and such, but not much more.  I don't shoot hang guns much but I didn't have any trouble focusing on the sights/targets about 60 days ago, the last time I shot a handgun (9mm and .22 MKII).  My arms get tired from holding a handgun in the shooting position too, but no "burning sensation" like you mention.  

I have noticed lately that I feel like I need higher power scopes on my rifles so I can see the holes in the targets, especially at the 200 yd mark. 100 yd target is ok right now.   I have a cheapo 45x spotting scope, and it is just barely adequate at 200 yds, is it the cheapo part, or that it's only 45x, time will tell when I try out some new spotting scopes sometime in the future.   

• Like 1

If talking for fun shooting, rig out a nice target pistol with

1) a red dot sight and

2) a single action usable trigger.

This solves both problems nicely... red dots are often mentioned by older shooters as easier to use than irons when your near vision starts to act up.   And a gentle trigger will prevent carpel tunnel burn and fatigue.

Hand shakes are often a sign of weakness and can be overcome with exercise IF that is actually the issue.  If you are starting to get parkinsons or something like that you will need to see a doctor.    Try just holding your gun up in shooting position.   I use a very heavy gun for this (my desert eagle, actually).   Then when I switch to my 1911 it feels light!   But a 3 pound weight will do it, or those heavy aerobics gloves or the like maybe.

if its not for fun shooting, ... shoot less.  Work thru a mag or two with your carry gun, ensure you can draw, fire, and hit torso quickly 5, 10 times.   You don't have to burn out 2 boxes of 9mm every week to stay in practice.    Consider here too a single action pistol.. I moved to lighter trigger guns as my hands went south (im younger but I wrecked my hands early).  I now carry a sig p938 .. I feel no pain at all using that.  I shoot mostly my tricked out target 22 for fun.   I break out the others now and then but shooting elephant killing 44s in my revolver isn't as much fun as it was when I was 20 ... I had to back off the recoil and number of shots fired as I aged.   I do it once in a while, but 12, 18 shots is plenty of that stuff.  

• Like 2

Also you can go with an all black rear sight with a wide notch.  That will help you to frame-up the front sight better since there will be more light around it.

And as enfield posted, its the front sight that is the most important one to focus on.  Our eyes can only focus on one thing at a time, so get the best front sight focus that you can.

• Like 2
I can't speak to the shakes but I certainly can empathize with your near vision issues. I had the same exact problem that you have and as my eye doctor said it was very SAD (Short Arm Syndrome) situation. My uncorrected vision left the front sight out of focus while my corrected vision rendered my rear sight useless.

Try an RMR red-dot sight...solved my vision issues!
  • Like 1

One thing I have found with rifles is that I shoot much better with the peep sights like the M1 Garand has.  The sights that come on the vintage military weapons and lever action rifles I have were meant for younger eyes.

• Like 1

One thing I have found with rifles is that I shoot much better with the peep sights like the M1 Garand has.  The sights that come on the vintage military weapons and lever action rifles I have were meant for younger eyes.

YES! old eyes see optics best, but if Irons are what you want get that rear as close to the eye as possible. A receiver sight makes a world fo difference. and even though they are cheap you can mount a Williams on almost any rifle with a little effort. Many target grade 22's come with them as well.

With pistols if possible mount a red dot. it feels like cheating after struggling with irons for a while.

• Like 1

Traditional rifle sights on a pistol don't work well for me as I get older. 

I put XS big Dots on most of my pistols, good now. You don't really line anything up, just tee up the golf ball and shoot.

• Like 2

Can't think of the name but I saw an ad for a type of lens used for office work.It is a bifocal but the top section is for intermediate distance (computer screen)  and the bottom set up for reading.Those look to be ideal for handgun shooting.

• Like 1

Shooting at 100 yards now at 54 I have to aim at the center of the target using iron sights, even a 3" bullseye fades away at that distance. I have always worn strong prescription glasses and get an exam every year from the VA. Actually the VA does the most thorough eye exam I have ever had. My prescription hasn't changed for years but I can tell my eyes, as bad as they always were can't focus well anymore, or stay focused. I guess old farts need optics at a distance.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...