Made a potentially deadly mistake.

I sold a couple of Glocks to a member here. Rushed myself and left a round in the chamber of one. Goes to show no matter how long you've been handling firearms, a mistake can be made. I've apologized profusely but no reply. Don't make an idiotic mistake as I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
  • Like 5
Not a good move, but it is on all of us to make sure a weapon is unloaded when handling. I would be upset as well, but I don't trust anyone who hands me a gun that I haven't seen cleared. If they took the gun without checking it, they are just as much at fault.
  • Like 12

Not a good move, but it is on all of us to make sure a weapon is unloaded when handling. I would be upset as well, but I don't trust anyone who hands me a gun that I haven't seen cleared. If they took the gun without checking it, they are just as much at fault.

+1 on checking for yourself.

My brother-in-law was showing me his new AR the other day. Being a novice, he held it up in front of me, mag still in the well, and pulled back the charging handle to show clear. I watched him chamber a round without looking and then handed it to me, muzzle up. I took it from him, said "your family is up there" (2nd floor) then removed the mag and emptied the chamber. He went white as a sheet.

good eye opener.

Check, double check, and then make sure there's nothing in there... 2 extra seconds can save a lifetime of pain.

Good for you on being able to admit the issue and remind everyone.  Good for the buyer to contact you and bring it up instead of making it a public ordeal.  But you both get no gold stars for participation in this event.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
Thanks for sharing. Great reminder what can happen in a split second. I never point a finger at anyone. It can happen to any of us. The moment you think it can't, is the moment you just lost your edge.
I know stuff like that is hard to share. I for one am appreciative of these stories. It shows even the best of us are fallible and none of us, ever, need get complacent. Glad everything worked out fine. Fortunately a cheap lesson for all of us.
  • Like 1
You're ok. I'm still waiting for a lawyer in the courtroom to take out someone while sweeping everyone in the courtroom with the dramatic antics they pull with no chamber flag in place [emoji53] Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 1
Glad no one was injured.
A teachable moment for sure. But having the sac to own up to it on here says a lot too.

I don't care who you are, you hand me a gun and I clear chamber or check for clear chamber. If that offends you oh well. Better your ego be shattered than me or YOU shot.
  • Like 3

Glad no one was injured.
A teachable moment for sure. But having the sac to own up to it on here says a lot too.
I don't care who you are, you hand me a gun and I clear chamber or check for clear chamber. If that offends you oh well. Better your ego be shattered than me or YOU shot.

If they are offended by my checking the weapon, then imagine how offended they would be at my reaction to it discharging unexpectedly...

Honestly I have been handed "unloaded" guns that turned out to be loaded. I politely hand over the cartridge and give thanks for good gun handling and muzzle discipline. I have always received an apology and we had a brief discussion about the reminder we all just got.

Lessons learned keep us all safe!
  • Like 1
When I safety check a weapon and show the person it's empty, and they still check it when it's in their hands, I smile and feel better.
Glad it turned out without a bad ending and thanks for sharing. None of us can ever be too careful. Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 4

When I safety check a weapon and show the person it's empty, and they still check it when it's in their hands, I smile and feel better.
Glad it turned out without a bad ending and thanks for sharing. None of us can ever be too careful.

I try to do this as well.

I embarrassed myself once years ago. I dropped an "unloaded" 629 and found myself looking down the barrel as it fell.

And I could see those shiny slugs looking back at me. I almost wet myself. Really.

Thankfully, nothing happened.

• Like 1

Glad it turned out without a bad ending and thanks for sharing. None of us can ever be too careful.

Same here . I've schooled several relatives and family members on guns and while I'm no expert in tactical manuvers my lecture covering clearing a weapon and never pointing it at someone in jest will remind you of that video of Hitler speaking to the Nazi party :) I tend to go Doyle Hargraves pretty quickly over those type of antics.
  • Like 1

It is always remarkable how defensive people can get when you correct an unsafe behavior. N

No one likes to be wrong and get called out (embarrassed). It's a sign of good character if you can be humble admit a mistake and do your best to never repeat it...
  • Like 1

It was not a good thing but not as bad as you probably feel.

It is incumbent on EVERYONE to be safe and responsible.  The person in physical possession of a firearm is solely responsible for it's safe handling.  If I can't hand you a gun and you handle it safely, loaded or unloaded....I don't want to be within a thousand yards of you, CERTAINLY don't want to sell it to you.