M&P .40 - I need help.

I need thoughts and opinions on this. As you know I really love my 10mm. A LOT. As in I carry my 20 and 29 as edc's everyday. Both. Always with me.

But my birthday is coming up and I have found a DPD unissued M&P .40 with night sights for $399. As a Michigander, it'd sentimental even if I don't care for the east side of the state much. I already know that I don't NEED this gun. But, I think at that price it is almost a can't resist. As a huge glock person, which I am, am I going to hate it? Will I love it? Or should I shut up and get a RIA 1911 in 10mm instead?

Both options will really only be range guns. I don't see myself using either as an EDC. But it's been about 4 months and I have the itch to add. Especially with the birthday around the corner. Advice is greatly welcomed.

I'd rather have that 1911.   The M&P is a fine gun but 40 means another caliber to deal with, and it will be less exciting (recoil).   I'd say that 10mm is a lot like my desert eagle which is hands down one of the best guns I have ever bought.  

But that begs the question of whether you have shot either model.  1911 and glock have very, very different grip - bore angle ratios and many people find one or the other odd.    The M&P is more glockish.  

I have more confidence that you might like the 40 due to it being similar to a glock but that same thing makes it redundant in my eyes.   If you have shot a 1911 and like them, I still would recommend the 1911 more.   If you have not shot one, try one (even a basic 45) first.  

I'd rather have that 1911.   The M&P is a fine gun but 40 means another caliber to deal with, and it will be less exciting (recoil).   I'd say that 10mm is a lot like my desert eagle which is hands down one of the best guns I have ever bought.  

But that begs the question of whether you have shot either model.  1911 and glock have very, very different grip - bore angle ratios and many people find one or the other odd.    The M&P is more glockish.  

I have more confidence that you might like the 40 due to it being similar to a glock but that same thing makes it redundant in my eyes.   If you have shot a 1911 and like them, I still would recommend the 1911 more.   If you have not shot one, try one (even a basic 45) first.  

I actually started shooting with a SA 1911 in .45, Black Betty. Monkey thinks I am nuts for naming my guns, but they're like cars in my opinion. I love the feeling of a 1911, but I also love the feeling of my Glocks. So it's a tough call! I just saw the price and the DPD unissued and got a wee bit teary eyed. It was like Tim Allen doing a Pure Michigan commercial in my head. LOL

I think you'll love it. Accurate, dependable, and one of the sweeter "fits in your hand" grips of any pistol I've owned. Great price as well!

What are your hands like? I ask that because I have semi-medium/large hands. Blame the german heritage. My 29sf fits great, my 20 gen 4 fits even better. I might need to go to the LGS for a feel before deciding. I have to stay out of that place. They have 2 1911's right now that I am desperately wanting. A Sig Spartan and a Dan Wesson. So it's a dangerous place for me to go without an adult to hold the wallet. Last time I went I came home with 2 boxes.

Hmm well, Ill stick to my recommendation then.   If you love the 1911 and the 10mm, combination of the 2 seems like a fit.   The M&P is just going to feel like a popgun after a 10mm.    Again, though, I am assuming you actually want the recoil and blast and all.   If you want something on the tamer side, it might be just the thing.   I was a big noise recoil guy for a long long time,  and still am at heart, so keep that in mind :)

• Like 1
I know which one Comms would get...

I have a M&P 40 with an Apex trigger and like it. Had it a long time. I'd suggest that you shoot one if you're serious.

I do agree with Jonnin that a 1911 in 10mm seems like the best choice to me based on your like for both.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

The 10mm will be more fun for the range, but the M&P is more practical for anything you might actually need a gun for, especially for that price.  Enough ammo to keep a few extra mags loaded, and it could be a good travel gun, or backup.  If nothing else, in a worst case scenario, I'd imagine .40S&W ammo being more plentiful than 10mm (not factoring reloading), but someone can tell me if I'm wrong.

I actually have a crap ton of 10 mm and my 29 is my EDC that I AIWB, I carry 2 extra mags. I also bring my 20 as my backup which has 4 mags total. So I think Jonnin is right. Adding a new caliber is just more to keep up with. My LGS has guys to buy what they like and they usually have a decent selection of 10mm.

Monkey and I just talked and he said that he thinks I just want a gun and advised if I get one stick with one of our calibers we use. Crazy thing is I still haven't test fired my NiB-X 17 I got a few months back. So I think I'm going 10mm 1911. The DPD .40 is mostly sentimental and it's an amazing price but I think I'm going for a bigger bang and getting a RIA. Thanks guys!

There is a reason there are a couple dozen PD Marked guns from so many departments,they all went back to Glock. Google Atlanta PD dumping them

in sixty days and going to Glock. I would guess same with ones your looking at.

There is a reason there are a couple dozen PD Marked guns from so many departments,they all went back to Glock. Google Atlanta PD dumping them
in sixty days and going to Glock. I would guess same with ones your looking at.

Good point. I guess it was genuinely just a want/desire to have (pardon the pun) a piece of Michigan.
If you like it, get it. I own a few m&ps and have owned several more . The replaceable back straps make it for a variety of hands. I have hands on the larger size and the grip feels great . In my experience they are super reliable also. I own glocks as well and like them too. Sometimes when a department changes weapons like that , it is a money thing more than it being about the weapon.
  • Like 1

If you like it, get it. I own a few m&ps and have owned several more . The replaceable back straps make it for a variety of hands. I have hands on the larger size and the grip feels great . In my experience they are super reliable also. I own glocks as well and like them too. Sometimes when a department changes weapons like that , it is a money thing more than it being about the weapon.

I just might. I'm returning to work soon. I landed a pretty amazing job and we'll be fortunate enough to use my paycheck to pay bills and his will just be savings/fun/angry money.
  • Like 1
I like 10MM (EAA Witness Elite Match) as well, but also M&Ps. I currently have a 40 Pro, 40 full size w a 9 mm barrel and a few 9mm mags, a 40 compact, and 2 9mm Shields. For that price, I say get the M&P. The grip angle is definitely different than any gen Glock, but it also comes with the 3 sizes of palm swell to help find a size that fits you.

I like them all, and they have all been great performers for me. Edited by musicman
  • Like 1

Don’t buy that M&P!!
You won’t be able to sell off those Glocks fast enough. biggrin.gif

Haha! Never!! Except maybe my 21sf. I hate it. I've never disliked shooting a gun so much. But you'll be hard pressed to ever see me list my others! Besides we have a no selling rule in this house. We keep everything. Everything. Monkey's only request.