Where to get leather vest modified?

I wear a vest for motorcycle riding and I would like to have it modified. I want to cut a 4" section out of each side and add eyelets and either lacing or double sided snaps. That way I can tighten it up for a better fit. It's currently a little loose for my taste The problem is its a set of club colors so I can't drop them off and leave them. Does anyone know somebody who can cut it, sew the side seams back closed, and punch in eyelets while I wait? Thanks in advance for recommendations

Sent from behind the anvil Edited by Spots
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time you come out bring it so I can take a look at it. I have sewn leather for holsters a bunch of times so the sewing would not be an issue. And depending on how you want the eyelets to look I could probably handle that too. Our mutual friend George could probably do it for you as well.

And if all else fails I bet those that work at Tandy Leather would know how to do this or know someone who can do it to your liking. They are located off of Kingston Pike not too far from Hooters.

Wonder if they guys at Biker Rags would know?

I talked to Biker rags today when I was there. They didn't have any ideas other than possibly the lady who does patch sewing at the swap meets.

Next time you come out bring it so I can take a look at it. I have sewn leather for holsters a bunch of times so the sewing would not be an issue. And depending on how you want the eyelets to look I could probably handle that too. Our mutual friend George could probably do it for you as well.

And if all else fails I bet those that work at Tandy Leather would know how to do this or know someone who can do it to your liking. They are located off of Kingston Pike not too far from Hooters.

I'll bring it with me when we come over, hopefully soon. Just don't wanna crowd you with you feeling bad. I think I could punch and install my own eyelets if I had to, I just need a good clean stitch up the sides after cutting so it doesn't separate and fray out. I'll text George a d see what he says.

I was going to suggest one of the resident holster makers or a shoe repair shop.

I'll text GjohnsonIV on here and talk to him. A shoe repair might also be good for that. Thank you

Sent from behind the anvil
I used to work at Jos A Banks, the seamstress at the Turkey Creek is great and she would do things that were not purchased from us. I have seen her do a great job altering a leather jacket. Rules may have changed since then but it is worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk Edited by LI0NSFAN

If your looking to do something like this, it's not all that hard. You just need the eyelets and a tool to set them Tandy leather would be the place to look.

This is what I wanna do. I wanna do 4 clips down the front and 4 down each side with the sides cut out and tightened up at the same time. The guy next to me has his done down the front

FB_IMG_1462677168332-1_zpsfw9cztbc.jpg

Sent from behind the anvil

I don't know if you've gotten your vest modified (or should we say talored) yet or not but I've thought about it. You might be overthinking what your wanting done as just installing grommets will allow you to snug it up. Instead of two vertical or angled rows of grommets per side put in four. That way you have the ability to fit it w/o a lot of folded leather being visible. You can even use concha's as a more decorative grommet. Just a thought but nonetheless something you can DIY.