SKS not cycling: Advice on a fix

A guy asked me to look at his SKS. I forget what he said happened to the barrel, but, something happened to the barrel toward the muzzle end. He told me he and someone had taken approximately three inches of barrel off (probably including the flashhider) at a machine shop. It has been cut straight and re-crowned from what I can see, it just doesn't have a front sight now.

He says that now it's not cycling. Made me think that it might not be getting enough gas to the bolt rod now. Could this be a problem with too small of a gas port? In other words, since the barrel is now shorter, does the gas port need to be slightly enlarged? This was my first thought, but I thought I'd see if you folks could tell me whether or not I'm on track before I start taking it apart.

Sounds like maybe it was a Yugo and they cut off the grenade launcher.

When he says "not cycling", does it even attempt to cycle and just doesn't have enough gas, or does it act like a Yugo switched over into the grenade mode which is a single shot?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sounds like maybe it was a Yugo and they cut off the grenade launcher.

When he says "not cycling", does it even attempt to cycle and just doesn't have enough gas, or does it act like a Yugo switched over into the grenade mode which is a single shot?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's the road I was going down.  If it's a Yugo, then what they cut off was not a flash hider but the grenade launcher.  And if it is a Yugo then the gas valve is shut off.

I've been down this road with my first Yugo.  

I'll bet it is a Yugo.  There is a little switch that looks kind of like a button at the end of the gas piston on the top of the gun toward the muzzle.  One position causes it to cycle and the other causes it to be single fire.

Too bad that they cut the grenade launder off, assuming that it is a Yugo.  There is a pin or two that can be knocked out and the launcher screws off revealing a threaded barrel.

The last Yugo I cut to 17", I ended up drilling the gas port out to .157, a #22 drill I think. The Yugo has the possibility of gas loss in a various condition gas block and many times slight pitting in the piston cylinder. So yes, the OP is correct in drilling out the gas port .005-6 thousandths at a time until you get a good consistent minimum ejection of 6 feet from standing shoulder firing. I use a brass rod in the bore to drill a port (protect of over drilling) and a tiny dymond ball dremil type cutting tip to chamfer the inner bur away. Good Luck with it.

I should've clarified that. It's a Norinco. You can tell it's been a while since I've fooled with an SKS. Ya'll are right, they don't have flash hiders. So that would mean about 3" of barrel they cut off.
I'll go ahead this week and get the gas block off and start working on it a little at a time.

Has he checked to make sure the piston extension is there?

They've allegedly had the thing apart checking for obstructions and binding. I think before I really get into it I'll call the guy back and get a more detailed account of what happened and take some notes.

They've allegedly had the thing apart checking for obstructions and binding. I think before I really get into it I'll call the guy back and get a more detailed account of what happened and take some notes.

You're gonna work on it without even shooting  it first to confirm the prob?

- OS

You're gonna work on it without even shooting  it first to confirm the prob?

- OS

Blame it on typing while tired and assuming that part would be assumed, which, I assume, was a bad assumption. :angel:  He sent some rounds with it. Yes, I'm going to shoot it soon as I get the chance and verify what he's talking about, then work on it. Which will probably be Thursday morning, I assume. :devil:  

• Like 1