Shooter misses target, hits man

Hope this doesn't start another conversation about limiting shooting on your property in the county.

http://wate.com/2016/05/08/accidental-shooting-leaves-one-injured-in-west-knox-county/

Shooter misses target, hits man

A man was injured Sunday after another man missed his practice target and shot him in the arm, according to the Knox County Sheriff’s Office.

According to a news release, authorities were alerted to the shooting just before 3 p.m. at Hickory Creek Road at Fallen Oaks Lane in West Knox County. Deputies said 32-year-old Robert Mathis was shooting at a target to check the accuracy of the sights of his weapon when the bullet went beyond a backstop, down an embankment and through a wooded area striking a vehicle.

Benjamin Fawver, 33, was seated in the vehicle and was struck in the left arm, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Fawver was taken the University of Tennessee Medical Center with a wound that was not believed to be life threatening.

The news release did not specify the type of gun Mathis was firing.

No charges have been filed, and the investigation is continuing.

You ARE responsible for a bullet up to and including the time it stops moving.  

OBVIOUSLY this guy was reckless, careless and plain stupid for not having a sufficient backstop and/or skill to hit it.  Hang him out to dry for his stupidity.  

• Like 3

Maybe his fault for not hitting the backstop, and yes he is responsible for his bullet...but, was the vehicle driver on his own property, shooter's property or public right-of-way?  At my place, I would have to shoot at least at a 45 degree upward angle to miss my backstop, and the bullet would have to weave in and around the trees to get to my neighbor's property.  Even so, I have put up signs letting the neighbors, Sunoco (gas line right-of-way) trespassers etc know that I am firing in that direction.