Concealed Carry Permits Will Apply To Smokies

Guest Mezzaluna

Guest Mezzaluna

I didn't see a post about this, but if it has been posted feel free to delete this.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=9524023

GATLINBURG, Tenn. (AP) - The National Park Service will allow weapons to be carried in the Smokies after the overturning of a federal rule restricting weapons in national parks and wildlife refuges.

The Park Service said Monday the agency will recognize concealed carry permits from Tennessee and North Carolina, beginning in January.

NPS spokesman Bob Miller in Gatlinburg said under current regulations, firearms can be brought into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park only when cased or trigger-locked and left in vehicles.

The new regulations will allow people who have valid permits to carry concealed weapons to keep them on their person.

The new rules will apply to permits holders from Tennessee, North Carolina and states with which they have reciprocal agreements.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Does anyone know if this is just the Smokies or does it apply to all state parks in TN? I would assume its all, but would rather know for sure.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see a post about this, but if it has been posted feel free to delete this.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=9524023

Does anyone know if this is just the Smokies or does it apply to all state parks in TN? I would assume its all, but would rather know for sure.

[/color][/size]

It is a FEDERAL rule, not state.

It is still not lawful to carry in TN state parks, or even city/county municipal ones, for that matter.

- OS

Guest Boomhower
It will be legal to carry in national parks on January 9, 2009.

Anybody want to at the Chimney Tops Picnic area and have an O/C picnic? :P

We'll have to call those VA guys and see if we can borrow their nuts first!!

From what I've read, you cannot carry into any building in the National Parks even with the rule change.

That is correct. You also can't OC, even if the state allows it.

But I think both post may have been jokes or at least contained parts that where...:rolleyes:

DUDE!! You've really done some body work since I seen you last! Good job!

- OS

Oh no, that's not me, I still look like a white Buddha except I have a stick with an arrow sticking out of it. :koolaid:

It is nice to be able to legally protect oneself when visiting the Smokey Mtn National Park. I will glady conceal (as usual anywhere) to be able to legally carry. It does not bother me one bit.