Need a window air conditioner fixed.

I live in the South Nashville area and I need to find someone to repair a window air conditioner. It is a two year old Frigidaire 25,000 BTU window unit. Thought it would last longer than that, but that is the quality of most things in the US today. It sounds like the compressor is trying to kick on, but am only getting slightly cooler air. 

Does anyone know a place that works on window units? Is it even worth the effort to repair or should I just replace it?

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

These are sealed units and are not meant to be repaired. Service valves would have to be installed into the lines and then recharged with refrigerant. Probably be more expensive than just buying a new one.

I have a 2yr old Frigidaire up right freezer that has crapped out. Its sitting next to our 15 year old GE spare refrigerator that's still going great.

I expected better out of Frigidaire.

These are sealed units and are not meant to be repaired. Service valves would have to be installed into the lines and then recharged with refrigerant. Probably be more expensive than just buying a new one.

Really hard to know which one of these units will be the one to throw away or if they are worth dropping coin on them least once... Two years ago our 28 foot ref is no longer cold after we moved... Service rep said it had a leak in one of the 2 evap coils and they they were very costly to replace with no chance for repair. Got him to install a clamp tap and add a tiny amount of R-134A and it is cold again, thinking it will be short lived I set it to its coldest settings and pick up an auto sized can of gas knowing I can add it again as needed... That was 2 years ago it still holds to the lowest settings and has needed no gas...

For that size of a unit, I'd call around and see what it'd cost to charge it. If it were a cheap 5k btu unit then I'd just replace it.

When you see them sold in Walgreen's and the local super markets you know that you will be lucky if they outlive the warranty paperwork...

Edited by teecro

Thanks for all the input. I kind of felt the best course was replacement. This two old unit replaced an old Kenmore that lasted 15 years of more and survived a couple of moves. I looked at Sears for a comparable unit and all of the Kenmores were relabeled Frigiiraires. I guess I will replace and save for a central system.