Conex containers

Getting closer to closing all the property deals and taking possession of the land we're trying to buy.... And one of the first problems we have to solve is secure storage on the lot. Building anything will take time and money, but I've heard several times getting a used Conex shipping container is a good way to go. Lowest price I've found so far is $2600 delivered for a 40' used container.

Anyone have any experience with these things, opinions, learned wisdow, or other comment? Would love to hear.

Thanks.

- Kevin

• Moderators
If not for the wife saying "hell no!" I'd be building a house out of them. I've used them in a professional capacity several times and they work quite well as storage. As an added bonus, once you get the house built you can always find designs online to plumb and run power to the conex and turn it into a workshop or whatever.
  • Like 4

I use one for storage and it's awesome. Be careful though, the cheaper ones tend to be leaky.

Make sure you can inspect it first.

I spent a little more and got mine here: www.mobilemini.com

They ensure it's water tight, not rusted out and upgrade the security as well... you aren't getting in without a cutting torch.

Probably more than you need to make a house but it's worked out well for me.

One thing I would recommend is make sure you've got a good level gravel bed to set it on... well worth the effort.

If it's going to be in a semi permanent location and if you are properly grading the area, pour some footers to keep it off the ground.

Since they aren't totally flat on the bottom, it could invite nesting critters to move in...eat up through the wood floor...swarm you in your sleep.

Thanks for the suggestions! We're not going to live in the thing, I just need it for storage!

Though I have to admit, I saw one pic where they cut the top off, added a liner, and made one into a pool! I thought that was pretty cool.

Gravel pad or pour some pilings and raise it off the ground? Will the 'floor' support a lot of weight? I may end up parking a tractor in there.... And I know a guy w. a dump-truck, I can get #3 crusher run pretty cheap.

- K

Don't think you have to buy new or anything.  Maybe you can find a better price on a used one.  Some of the older ones that aren't rated for travel with cargo can still work just fine for your needs as a storage unit.

Also, DWARREN123 is spot on.  The lock is the most vulnerable point.

They are great for storage or converting for living. many of our guys oversees live in conex's that have been converted to "man cans". they are super easy to fix and or customize with basic welding skills. I've put two side by side before by cutting the center walls out, put up some center supports, and seam welded all the way around. Finished it out in wood and wired it for lights, outlets, and a Chigo AC unit. Made a nice sized room. The trick would be getting them delivered to some of the middle of nowhere locations guys would want them. As long as you get it on some decent footing it should handle the weight of any tractor you can fit in it. If using for remote storage (not near you and not monitored) be sure to get one with with a lock assembly protected by a box/cage. It will still only take someone a minute or two with an angle grinder but will be difficult to access with bolt cutters or the like.

You get up into the $3000+ range and you're in steel garage territory.  I would go with one of them before spending $3k on a conex box.  The garage will add value to the property, conex box will not.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Sam1 said:

You get up into the $3000+ range and you're in steel garage territory.  I would go with one of them before spending $3k on a conex box.  The garage will add value to the property, conex box will not.

That's been my experience as well and exactly what I did. But I still really like the Coex containers for a lot of purposes.

• Like 1

They are very versatile and useful.  The only thing I would add is make sure you get it as level as possible.  When first set the doors will work fine but if not on level ground, over time they can flex and make the doors very hard to open and close.

they work great if you prep the spot where you are going to put it.  it has to be level, if not the door will give you major problems.  you got to get one that is in good shape.  you get what you pay for.  go cheap you get junk. junk = wet storage.  you will pay for someone getting it to your site.  i have used them in the past.  but,,,,, what i have found and using now at the farm is regular enclosed pulled behind trailers.  easy to move around, easy to level, easy to sale when done with, cheaper in cost.  just like a conex box but on wheels. you can find used one cheap and in great shape.  i have found people will buy a 20 enclosed trailer, use it two or three times and they will sale it cheap to get it out of the driveway.  which way you go put on the best lock you can find.  the locks on the door is the weak point on a trailer/conex box.   

I had two MobileMinis for a couple years and liked them.  I felt my stuff was secure but the things I found to be a problem that were not mentioned above (I don't think was mentioned). 

1) bottom is made out of wood.  With that being said, it's not going to keep mice or snakes or other creepy crawling things out.  Side note: Was told it has a wood floor so they sink when they fall off ships.  Must happen a lot.  Was told by a ship captain that.  Captain said they don't want large metal "bobbers" floating around in the ocean. 

2) although there is a lot of room, what you put in the back is going to be buried in there when you want to use it.  Unless it's just used for long term storage.  

3) hot summers in Tennessee will make it literally rain inside the unit unless you are in and out every day.  Trapped moisture will build up fast and it will eventually turn into condensation/rain with cool nights and hot days.  My unit was on prepped ground and 4x4's.  Probably better to be on a slab, less ground moisture.  

4) with number 3 being said stuff inside rusts or molds really really fast.  

I would still use one but my mission for one would have to be very specific. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The more I look into it, the more I think I want to squeeze another 500 bucks out my arse and spring for a steel garage? It sounds like I'm best served pouring a concrete pad either way (DIY project # 345,502!), and for only a little more money, I can get a more suitable structure that will serve more purposes longer?

- K

It depends on your specific situation, but I would seriously consider a garage over a conex at that price point just from the simplistic view of value enhancement on the property.  If done decently, you could add a decent amount of $value to the house by spending just a little bit more.  Plus, how much better would it be to have a garage door on the thing, and dimensions so you didn't have to worry about digging your way through things all the time to get to something in the back?

20 hours ago, TerryW said:

3) hot summers in Tennessee will make it literally rain inside the unit unless you are in and out every day.  Trapped moisture will build up fast and it will eventually turn into condensation/rain with cool nights and hot days.  My unit was on prepped ground and 4x4's.  Probably better to be on a slab, less ground moisture.  

4) with number 3 being said stuff inside rusts or molds really really fast.  

I would still use one but my mission for one would have to be very specific. 

Put a vapor barrier under it... plastic sheeting at least 6 mil thick.  And yes, if the price for a decent one is upward of $3000, I'd look hard at a detached garage instead.