Pet Cremation

We have used Nashville Pet Crematory in the past.  Our vet would have taken care of everything for a small charge, and we did that for one of ours.  

I handled the process for one of ours myself, and I am not sure I would do it again.  I dread the next time that we have to make that decision, and having someone else take a little the load off is well worth the minimal expense.  

I am sorry for you and your family having to go thru this situation.

When our fuzzy little buddy past in my arms we took him to Nashville Pet Crematory that afternoon. We do not live far from there but was the longest ride of our lives. But they took good care and got him back to us the next day. Also was the longest night for us too. We have 2 more that when the time comes we will use them again. They were very nice and respectful. 

When the love of my life life (my 11 yr old Amerian Bulldog, Lucy) had to be put down we used All-Tenn for the service. The cost is by weight and by how fancy you want the urn/box to be. My dog was around 90 pounds and we chose the aromatic white cedar box, so it cost us $255. They were very respectful and helpful and even picked her up from the vet for us after she was put down.

I can't make a suggestion for you, however, I wanted to express my sincere condolences for the situation you are facing.  Loosing a pet is loosing a family member.  May all the memories of sweet pup last a lifetime and your grief be brief.  

I just had to do this and it was right around $250 I think.  It could have even been a bit cheaper.   They should ask, but make sure to tell them you want a private cremation.   It is a bit more, but I wanted to have my dog, not a mix.   

I go to Healthy Petz in Spring Hill.  Really nice people.  I received a personal card from the vet as well as a signed card with a note by every person that works there.   It meant a lot to me. 

I don't remember the price when my Mom had her little buddy done a number of years ago, but there were two pricing levels, one where you were guaranteed to get only your own pet's ashes, and one where you'd get "mostly" your own pet's ashes.

- OS

When our Doberman, Axl passed away a few weeks ago, the vet arranged for the cremation at a place in South Knoxville.  I know they came and got the body from the vet in Norris (quite a drive) and I got the ashes back in 3 or 4 days in a nice wooden box with a brass plaque engraved with his name.  It cost $160 and I got all sorts of certifications to guarantee it was my dog without any questions - 100%.  I wasn't asking for that but it was nice to know.  Anyway...I'm not big on cremation myself and I would not want to be cremated...and we weren't sure what to do with this box of ashes.  I decided to wait for a nice evening in the back yard, when the grass was cut nice and everything was peaceful and I would spread his ashes out there.  We did it last weekend and I put a majority under a big tree where he used to lay.  Then some along the fence where he liked to bark at the neighbor dog.  Then some over in the corner of the yard where he chased squirrels.  He was an "inside" dog who loved to be outside...and now every time we go out back I think of him.  We kept the box to put his collar in and when we go through this again I will definitely use the same folks.  Sorry for what you're going through, B

Just a FYI for anyone considering burying a pet but may have difficulty digging a hole:  many of the crematories (we have 4 now that come to our area) will cremate and return the ashes in bag or box for burial.  That option is usually less than cremation with a nice urn for the ashes but more than the communal cremation.  With communal cremation, more than one animal is cremated, so they can't guarantee the ashes are just from that animal.  They don't stack the animals like firewood, but the natural drifting of ashes of more than one animal prevents them from ethically offering it as a private cremation.  The main benefit is the cost.

We are located near the notorious Tri-State Crematory in Noble, Georgia which defrauded lots of people (they buried the human corpses on the property rather than properly cremate them), so people are very sensitive around here to being sure the remains are authentic, even for their pets.

I know the difficulty of digging a hole for a bid dog.  My father's dog died in her sleep while he was on vacation and was discovered the next day.  By the time I could drive down to Macon to bury her, she was stiff.  I had to dig a U-shaped hole in the Georgia clay to accommodate her stretched-out Labrador sleeping posture.  I can't imagine trying to do that where I live, where the soil is made of little rocks, big rocks, and a little clay to hold it together.  Before I moved up here, I dug another hole for his remaining dog and covered it with wood so my dad wouldn't have to dig it.

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't know why, but I don't like the idea of cremation. 

Is there a better way?

Bury in the back yard if you know you'll be there forever maybe.  Believe it or not cremation lasts longer.  You always have them with you.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I don't know why, but I don't like the idea of cremation. 

Is there a better way?

Dixie Memorial Pet Cemetery does both. They have a cemetery that is very well maintained and is a permanent place. If you move, you'll still be able to visit. There is an on site crematorium too. Pretty convenient for those in west Tennessee. 

On May 14, 2016 at 7:07 AM, Trekbike said:

We've used Faithful Friends a couple of times and have been pleased (that doesn't sound quite right under the circumstances).    

http://www.faithfulfriendsnashville.com/

First and foremost, I'm really sorry that you're facing this. It's a tough decision. But faithful friends is amazing, Trek is right. When Monkey and I first got together, his big, huge, lovebug of a Rottie had a heart attack right in front of me while I was home alone. 

Monkey made it home, but I had called out vet and they recommended Faithful Friends. They were very kind and sweet. They sent someone within the hour to pick him up and take him to be privately cremated. It was $250 because Buddy weighed 160. It included a basic plastic white urn. He's now in a Jack Daniels Singel Barrel Box. Very fitting.

When I made the decision 2 years ago to let my boy Bailey pass, I wanted it done at home in the garden and not in the vet's office. There's an excellent mobile vet that we used. She charged $450 but that includes cremation and a pretty wood box. Her name is Dr. Childs and she and her tech were patient and gracious while I said goodbye. tel:16157990616. I would highly recommend them. Whatever you decide, good luck. It is a very hard process.

• 6 months later...

IMG_0298.thumb.JPG.b18d7d9d8c64187dc1ba7449c77777fb.JPG

Sorry to be so long in responding, but I finally said good-bye to Sarge on Saturday, November 5. Still very difficult to talk about and I still miss him very much.  I used Laps Of Love  and All-Tenn for the cremation. He was my constant companion. He will never be forgotten.

Champ - Sarge.jpg

First off I am very sorry to hear about Sarge and your loss!!

I am not looking forward to the day that I may lose Kasey. She has been with me almost 14 years and I bottle fed her from birth. She is just a mutt but she is my mutt and my friends that know me well say they are concerned that if either one dies they will probably lose the other shortly. I have checked out  Faithful Friends and they will be who I use if I out live her. My closet friend B.T. has already told me he will care for her if I go first. He will carry out all my plans for her when the time comes. I have made sure I have tons of pictures of her so she will always be with me in heart and mind. I plan on being cremated also. I don't see any sense in putting the burden of a Funeral on my family and friends................jmho

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Marine Dad said:

It's amazing how much a good dog adds to our lives. It would be a very sad world without them! 

This is the very nice urn/box that I received from All-Tenn. It stays on my nightstand. Very comforting to have him close by.

I'm sorry for your loss, but uplifted by how you honored him. Gorgeous urn, by the way.