How do I stop Browser Notifications?

• Administrator

With IPBoard version 4, we began having the option to receive notifications of things from the forum via your web browser.  If you want to turn that feature off, you do it from the web browser itself.  Click the items in order of the numbers in the screen shots below.

For Chrome

ipb4_notifications_chrome.jpg

For Firefox

ipb4_notifications_firefox.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, in Firefox you can permanently disable notifications without having to store a reference to the site in the browser settings.

1. Go into advanced configuration by typing about:config in the address bar.

2.  Accept the dire warning, at your own risk of course.

3.  Search for dom.webnotifications.enabled

4.  Double-click the preference to change the default value from True to False

I have no idea what else that setting might impact but is does stop the pop-up notification setting request if you use private browsing or do not want the site url stored in your browser settings.

Edited by Garufa
  • 2 months later...

Well, this doesn't work for me. I don't want to stop notifications, as I have none. What I want to stop, is, this annoying pop up message

that says, "Would you like to receive notifications from this site."  It pops up on every new page or thread. A pain in the butt!!

17 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Well, this doesn't work for me. I don't want to stop notifications, as I have none. What I want to stop, is, this annoying pop up message

that says, "Would you like to receive notifications from this site."  It pops up on every new page or thread. A pain in the butt!!

You did as in David's first post, and selected "block"?

Sound like you have "always ask" enabled.

- OS

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Somewhat unrelated but I'm not getting notifications(on TGO) from the Swamp. Everything else is working. Was this intentional? It was working before it went to password required.

thanks 

I think David's succeeded in making the swamp more trouble than it's worth.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Somewhat unrelated but I'm not getting notifications(on TGO) from the Swamp. Everything else is working. Was this intentional? It was working before it went to password required.

thanks 

Go to ‘my account’ and ‘manage followed content’ and you should be able to unfollow the Swamp there.

My bad. Misread your post. Can’t provide an answer to that question. 

Edited by Chucktshoes