M&P Shield in .45 ACP

30 minutes ago, Patton said:

Steelharp, I disagree with your opinion. I believe the shields are some of the best all around handguns on the market, and especially for their value. I have felt better triggers on higher dollar guns, but they have the best striker fired trigger of any gun I have ever shot. I don't know why any given shield has a better trigger than their full size counterpart. I find the shield is easier to shoot than many guns twice its size and weight, and I find reports of malfunctions nearly unheard of.

I wish the same shield platform was available in a longer and taller full size. Something like a slim, 10 round 4.25" barrel. It would easily serve as a duty weapon and an all season IWB concealed weapon.

I have no problem with disagreement. Heaven forbid we were all alike! I will say, of all the Shields I've had the opportunity to show and fondle, the Performance Center ones have really excellent triggers. The standard ones, not so much. They always feel "broken," to me.

I am on my third Shield and they do seem to break in. I purchased the first shield I ever put my hands on in the spring of 2012. The trigger broke in after only about 100 squeezes. Then I picked up a 9mm after a foolish experiment with an XDS. That trigger was utterly smooth when I traded it to one of my best friends and it had been fired thousands of times. Many people borrowed that shield and it was responsible for many people buying their own shields. That same friend picked up a PC version and we agree that it's trigger feels about like the well used one I was just speaking of. Earlier this week I took possession of a model 10035 and its trigger is better out of the box than I remember of the other two. 

S&W has outdone Glock for sure with this one. Glock's single stack 45 the , 36 , is 1.10 inch wide . The Shield is  1.05 counting  the slide stop . The Glock 36 just still seems a lot fatter. This will be a tough decision between the two if I have to decide between them. I have never had a 36 but this Shield 45 looks pretty good.

The 36 is the only Glock I've had trouble with. And I'm not alone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Excellent.

Actually, my heart is in the wonderful CZ 75... but they do get heavy after a while... I'm thinking I'm really liking the Ruger American, too... PPQ trigger at a good bit less money.

PPQ trigger?! I had not heard that. I love my PPQ - mostly for the trigger. About to pop for the 45 if I can fondle one somewhere.

So the American trigger is that good?

21 minutes ago, BillOReitz_II said:

The 36 is the only Glock I've had trouble with. And I'm not alone.

Zero issues with my 36. Runs like a champ. BUT, I didn't do anything to the mags; the extensions seem to cause the problems.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, BillOReitz_II said:

PPQ trigger?! I had not heard that. I love my PPQ - mostly for the trigger. About to pop for the 45 if I can fondle one somewhere.

So the American trigger is that good?

Of the ones I'VE had the chance to show and fondle, yes. They may not be consistent. I know of one board member's PPQ that the trigger is terrible on in comparison to others I've felt. Very gritty.

10 hours ago, Steelharp said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Excellent.

Actually, my heart is in the wonderful CZ 75... but they do get heavy after a while... I'm thinking I'm really liking the Ruger American, too... PPQ trigger at a good bit less money.

I picked up a CZ 75 back in January! Damn that pistol can flat out shoot, but I have to strain to pick up the sights on it.  I like my FNH FNS better, because the sights are just so easy to see and it feels really good in my hand!!!  Really nice trigger too!

Some people may say I am OCD but I think the M&P would be perfect if it would drop the roll-pins for solid pins , create a slide that doesn't have to have a rear sight to "hold down" the firing pin safety plunger , and make the frame without such a large "take down" lever . This all with the .45 cartridge and man what a gun !   And as Ten Bears says " that is all I have to say"  :)

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

Yes...I would probably just have to buy a 45 Shield.

With all its pros and cons, I still think the Shield pistols have been some of the best non 1911 pistols I have ever owned, And I have 3 now. Including a PC version.

Don't ask...it's a long story.

• Like 1
Steelharp, I disagree with your opinion. I believe the shields are some of the best all around handguns on the market, and especially for their value. I have felt better triggers on higher dollar guns, but they have the best striker fired trigger of any gun I have ever shot. I don't know why any given shield has a better trigger than their full size counterpart. I find the shield is easier to shoot than many guns twice its size and weight, and I find reports of malfunctions nearly unheard of.

I wish the same shield platform was available in a longer and taller full size. Something like a slim, 10 round 4.25" barrel. It would easily serve as a duty weapon and an all season IWB concealed weapon.

Speaking of disagreement... I'd say the PPQ holds the title for best stock trigger (polymer pistols). :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:48 PM, Steelharp said:

Of the ones I'VE had the chance to show and fondle, yes. They may not be consistent. I know of one board member's PPQ that the trigger is terrible on in comparison to others I've felt. Very gritty.

Not any more. Sam and Tad got hold of it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I had to put my 2 cents in on this topic. I had the opportunity to handle and shoot the new Shield 45 when the S&W Rep brought one by Bud's in Sevierville and they have a real home run again with this pistol. The recoil management is greatly enhanced with the new grip texture. I would take this over the XDS 45 any day and I am long time Springfield fan.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, ghawk249 said:

I had to put my 2 cents in on this topic. I had the opportunity to handle and shoot the new Shield 45 when the S&W Rep brought one by Bud's in Sevierville and they have a real home run again with this pistol. The recoil management is greatly enhanced with the new grip texture. I would take this over the XDS 45 any day and I am long time Springfield fan.

What was the price on it at Bud's ?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna get creamed on this... but I gotta give credit where it's due. We got in one of the .45 Shields today. Putting one in the hand... it is really VERY nice. The grip texture is different and better than any of the others, the trigger on this one is really nice.

Yeah, this is a solid small .45.

I'll take some vanilla ice cream with the humble pie, please.

• Like 3

I playedwith one yesterday.  Quite spectacular, imho.  Of course, I like Shields, so duh.  :-D

The texture sure is grippy.  I'm kind of a soft handed pansy and I don't like the board tape many folks use as grip enhancers.  The texture on the Shield isn't exactly the same, but it IS similar.  If I bought one, I'd probably take a small piece of something like an 800 grit paper and knock the "sharp" off the top.

Yes, the trigger on the one I played with was really good.  It's not quite as good as the Performance Center Shields, but close.  I'd say it's closer to the PC gun than the regular Shield in terms of crispness at the break.

I have a few other guns higher on the list, but I'm sure I'll have one find it's way into the Smith party at my house before too long.  :-)

• Like 3