M&P Shield in .45 ACP

I am getting more and more interested in it. I did notice that the S&W website showed this pistol to have "Armornite" corrosion resistant finish. Didn't S&W use Melonite on the regular M&P pistols ? I wonder what is different about this versus the other ?

I am getting more and more interested in it. I did notice that the S&W website showed this pistol to have "Armornite" corrosion resistant finish. Didn't S&W use Melonite on the regular M&P pistols ? I wonder what is different about this versus the other ?

Hopefully it's a better finish. The finish on my shield blows as does one of my relations full size M&P.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, shotgunshooter said:

Hopefully it's a better finish. The finish on my shield blows as does one of my relations full size M&P.

It can't be any worse than that crap my newer Glocks have on them.

19 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

While the new finish is crap it's still better than my shield. I've had both guns rust. It just shows me that nothing is 100℅.

The Glock Gen 2's were almost perfection. None of mine have ever rusted under normal conditions.

Edited by tercel89
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2016 at 9:22 AM, Steelharp said:

I have no problem with disagreement. Heaven forbid we were all alike! I will say, of all the Shields I've had the opportunity to show and fondle, the Performance Center ones have really excellent triggers. The standard ones, not so much. They always feel "broken," to me.

I had an M&P with Apex guts and the trigger was great. Pricey mods, but they fix the broken trigger.

I sold my 9mm Shield to get a 45 Shield.  Great choice... this 45 Shield is fantastic!  Had to buy all new carry gear to make this my main carry though.  Its slightly different enough to have issues with my 9mm holsters.  Well worth it though, this is definitely becoming my primary carry gun.  Nice size, feels great, shoots great...

Hard part now is finding magazines.  S&W aren't even selling magazines yet, you can only get them if you buy a gun... 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, cjohnson44546 said:

I sold my 9mm Shield to get a 45 Shield.  Great choice... this 45 Shield is fantastic!  Had to buy all new carry gear to make this my main carry though.  Its slightly different enough to have issues with my 9mm holsters.  Well worth it though, this is definitely becoming my primary carry gun.  Nice size, feels great, shoots great...

Hard part now is finding magazines.  S&W aren't even selling magazines yet, you can only get them if you buy a gun... 

Simple...buy another Shield 45. lol

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dane said:

Says a lot about the quality of the stainless they use.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clearly that's not been properly maintained, but lot of stainless steels will rust. All the grime picked up in his hands/gloves grinds the finish off in no time. All the wallering around in the muck and not drying it certainly doesn't help. Some people also have fairly acidic sweat which will accelerate the corrosion.

The important question is, does it still work?

I've had several Shield in 40 and 9. Tried to like them but they just weren't for me. So I saw this one and bought it, shot it, guess what, it's not for me. The grip gets too thin front and back and she bore axis is higher than I like, just like the others. Oh well, I tried. ( again)