Bragging father...

We just got home from her second meet. She got to sight in her new .22 target  rifle last weekend. It was hot and she was tired. She wanted to roll through the stances and not continue prone, so we got a semi solid zero on it and called it a day. This week was the Fleming County Invitational. Her first meet with her new left handed .22 Target and .22 Sport rifles.

She took 3rd in .22 Target Individual and 1st in .22 Target Team.

I will try and get pictures up when we get the trophies on Tuesday.

I am BEYOND thrilled with her, and she could not be more excited.

Her mother is concerned as the eventuality of logic states that she will go to a match and not place, but so far we are two out of two. The upside though is that we will definitely be attending the state invitational.

• Like 6
  • 2 months later...

Today was the State Match.

Her first year. Six months? since we started this as trip as a competition shooter.

She came in 5th Overall in individual for .22 Target in her age group of 9-11 with a score of 104. Her team took 1st.

She also scored the highest of anyone on our team in Recurve Archery in her age bracket at 25, however it was not high enough to place.

For a first year, and quite a packed crowd, I was very impressed. Only 5 kids in her age group scored over 100 in .22 Target, with the highest being 179, her teammate and good friend.

We are VERY proud of all the kids from Shelby County. Her friend, the same mentioned above also came in first for Target Air Rifle. I do believe she will be getting fitted for her jacket.

The Heathen's final discipline was BB, however that was an extremely competitive field with all the top shooters shooting well above 250. While we nearly broke 200, it was not enough to place in the top ten.

Next year looks very promising for her, I have already made the deal that if she brings home two separate 1st Place trophies from any invitational, or a single 1st place from State, I will buy her a $200 set of rhinestone covered eyes and ears from a local shop.

She is ecstatic. We will take her to a final end of year shoot at the practice fields where I will let her loose with her AR and some Tannerite to show off to her friends.

• Like 7
  • 8 months later...
Being a 4-H Rifle coach in Tennessee I'm curious as to what her scores were?

I couldn't say with certainty. BB is what we have been working on the most. She is consistently in the low to mid 200s on that. Archery is her weaker point, but traditional is a low pop discipline. I think she was mid thirties on that.

We didn't stick around for the awards ceremony, and she forgot her phone so she didn't take pictures of her targets. So I have no clue what her actual scores were. My wife is the coordinator, she might know, but I haven't asked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

I couldn't say with certainty.

Doesn't really matter just curious.  Over the years I've had the privilege to coach several National Championship teams from Tennessee at the 4-H Invitational and the National BB Gun Championship Matches and I will say by far the number of all female teams usually did better and where far more easier to coach.  You should be proud and keep challenging her with similar rewards.  For mine it was equipment upgrades.  The latest and greatest range gear and rifles didn't necessarily make them better but they felt good because they thought they looked good.  If you feel good you shoot good!

• 2 months later...

20170813_115520_855979.jpg

That was an expensive range trip.

S&W M&P 22 Compact. She can load it herself, work the slide herself and clear malfunctions as the range rental was filthy and would fail to feed every dozen or so rounds. After 100 rounds (and our hour) she begged me to buy one for her. She was grumpy when I told her we were going shooting, but after she beat me at Battleship (with highly skewed rules that changed every shot...) she has been pretty pleased with herself. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Some of my best memories ever are father daughter days at the range.  Most blingged out set of ear muffs I ever saw!

Her eyes and ears are matching. That was her reward for bringing home two regional first place finishes this season. We set the goal at the end of last year.

Now the goal is two first place finishes from state, or five first place finishes from regional. The prize is a custom 10/22 in whatever her favorite color is at the time. Right now it is purple. 

• 2 weeks later...

We made it back to the range on Saturday, she knocked it out of the park. I am really impressed with how she handles the pistol. She has the function down like a pro, thumbs forward, and decimates the target. It is a shame it will be another calendar year before she can compete with a pistol in competition. 

• 8 months later...

First meet of the season is next weekend. I bought her a Savage MKII-GL in left hand so she doesn't have to use a shared Club Rifle. We picked it up this morning from our LGS. It was raining, so we cancelled club practice. So we went into town to an indoor range. I was bummed, the wife went shopping while we shot, and I only grabbed on box of ammo. I bought a bore snake and allowed the barrel to rest and snaked it every five shots. I can't wait on her target rifle to be delivered, a Savage MKII-FVT.

31960287_214751822661373_427166774266429

31958689_214752375994651_101149848363650