VIVE VR System

As a company we try to have a good working environment for our employees.  We work them pretty hard so we like to have fun stuff they can do also.  

Several employees had been asking if we could get a virtual reality system.  Not only are they cool but we can see some of this technology being used in some of our work down the road.  So we went ahead and built a gaming machine and bought the HTC VIVE VR system.  https://www.htcvive.com/us/

I do not know a lot about it but everybody is having a blast so far playing with it.  I recorded one of our employees playing a game.  You can see on the monitor what he is seeing in the headset.  There are two cameras mounted on the wall that was used to map the room.  The mapped room is used by the system to know where to put walls so you do not walk into anything.  It is a pretty cool system.  I have not tried it out yet but will soon.  Here is the video of one our employees playing a game.

• Like 1
On 5/26/2016 at 7:35 AM, luke9511 said:

Nice hope to try it or the oculus someday myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of our developers had one of the beta models (pre-facebook buyout). It's surprisingly difficult to do without motion controls. Especially if you play FPS games. When you're used to mouse look, you have to constantly remind yourself to turn your head. Definitely not easy to do with fast paced games. Sniping in Team Fortress 2 was almost impossible. Your mouse hand moved the scope around but your head could move within the scope. So you had to move your head and mouse the same direction at the same speed to get your vision and crosshair to align on your target.

If you've gamed long enough to know what a "rocket jump" is... that was incredibly difficult. You almost wrench your neck off looking at the ground trying to fire it at your feet and then popping back up to fire at targets.

On 5/25/2016 at 4:35 PM, KahrMan said:

As a company we try to have a good working environment for our employees.  We work them pretty hard so we like to have fun stuff they can do also.  

Several employees had been asking if we could get a virtual reality system.  Not only are they cool but we can see some of this technology being used in some of our work down the road.  So we went ahead and built a gaming machine and bought the HTC VIVE VR system.  

Need a Systems Architect? I volunteer as tribute. :)

Unfortunately we have that covered.

All the games are steam games.  They have found some zombie game the seems pretty popular.  It is right across from my office and I get a kick out of sneaking over there and scarring the hell out of some of the guys when they are really involved in a game.  

Boy they get so pissed.  I just laugh and walk away.