Engraving

5 hours ago, joe4vol said:

What cutter are you using?

Using a spring loaded 2L with a 30 degree .2 bit. Got a couple .15 and .1 bits coming to try smaller engraving. 

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

What kind of mill are you using?

I converted a G0759 to a CNC mill. 

2 hours ago, Wiljo05 said:

Let me know when your ready and I'll have a slide and other fun items for you. 

Anytime you are. Finishing up the last few projects backed up in the shop and I'll be all caught up after this weekend. 

Awesome!

Question: I think the answer is No, but are any issues with your rig engraving polymer? In a few months, I'll have a Scorpion Evo to engrave. I'd rather make a trip to Hendersonville than to ship it off to SC or TX. :)

7 hours ago, 173rdABN said:

...... Got a couple .15 and .1 bits coming to try smaller engraving.

I bet those will work just great on that 9mm lower that you just transferred for me! 

Thinking about an engraving location where the trust name is 'Hiding In Plain Sight."   :dirty: 

9 hours ago, Obiwan said:

Awesome!

Question: I think the answer is No, but are any issues with your rig engraving polymer? In a few months, I'll have a Scorpion Evo to engrave. I'd rather make a trip to Hendersonville than to ship it off to SC or TX. :)

No issues at all. Would be happy to do it :) 

7 hours ago, Caster said:

I dunno what those engravers cost but center drills do a very good job and can be had in LOTS of different sizes.  

Do you mean center drill bits? If so, those would snap almost instantly at that size. The bits are very specific unfortunately and are not cheap :( 

6 hours ago, DMark said:

I bet those will work just great on that 9mm lower that you just transferred for me! 

Thinking about an engraving location where the trust name is 'Hiding In Plain Sight."   :dirty: 

What you saw was a 30 degree .2 bit. I'm really hoping the .15 and .1 bring it down a little more for picture quality when I engrave logos and what not to give them a little more detail. 

And ofcourse you're going to challenge me to engrave somewhere all weird like. Haha. 

Well, I know in the 13 years I worked in a machine shop, all engraving done on parts was done with a center drill.  I've seen part numbers engraved that were only eighty thousandths tall and rarely did the center drill fail until they were very dull.  Much of that has to do with the rigidity of the machine though.  

I ran a Fadal machining center for a time making 17-4PH waste gates for oil piplines.  We used a #2 center to engrave the part number on those, rarely ever broke one.  Fadal is a sloppy piece of crap BTW.  

2 hours ago, Caster said:

Well, I know in the 13 years I worked in a machine shop, all engraving done on parts was done with a center drill.  I've seen part numbers engraved that were only eighty thousandths tall and rarely did the center drill fail until they were very dull.  Much of that has to do with the rigidity of the machine though.  

I ran a Fadal machining center for a time making 17-4PH waste gates for oil piplines.  We used a #2 center to engrave the part number on those, rarely ever broke one.  Fadal is a sloppy piece of crap BTW.  

I'm definatly going to look into those more now. Thanks!

On May 27, 2016 at 0:15 PM, Caster said:

Just try it on a scrap piece of material close in composition to what is going to be engraved so you can see what speed and feed the machine likes for a good finish.  

It'll work...or it won't.  Either way, you ain't out much.