NPR attacks Katie Couric's Anti-gun Documentary

Yes the press lying does effect people. I wish there was a simple way to keep them honest, but in the end much of this is about opinion, and or slanted point of view as much as outright lies. Individuals need to demand integrity in journalism. Only the consumer can make the judgement to view, read, consume what the journalist produces. This should be capitalism at work but many people simply don't bother to educate themselves about issues and will drink any koolaid they are offered. It is truly sad...

32 minutes ago, Sidecarist said:

Yes the press lying does effect people. I wish there was a simple way to keep them honest, but in the end much of this is about opinion, and or slanted point of view as much as outright lies. Individuals need to demand integrity in journalism. Only the consumer can make the judgement to view, read, consume what the journalist produces. This should be capitalism at work but many people simply don't bother to educate themselves about issues and will drink any koolaid they are offered. It is truly sad...

When I was a LEO I had a LEO friend who shot and killed a suspect. The "Reporter" said to him that if he didn't tell her what happened she'd just make it up. What was reported was an outright lie. 

2 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

When I was a LEO I had a LEO friend who shot and killed a suspect. The "Reporter" said to him that if he didn't tell her what happened she'd just make it up. What was reported was an outright lie. 

These are the kinds of journalism stories that need to be prosecuted, they should not be protected by any freedom of the press.  And not because it was a LEO involved, but because they make up facts that they know are lies.  When a reporter puts lies into their story, it has the power to incite a social response such as what happened in Ferguson (yes I know it wasn't a news story there).  It can also have an impact an whether someone gets prosecuted or not depending on how they slant a SD story. 

While we were in Iraq, there were many reporters imbedded with some of the units there, most reporters followed the guidelines while others not only reported slanted stories but put the troops in danger.  A few of the stories named the units involved and broke down the association of some classified units.  There was a constant change to Task Force names just to try and keep it under wraps.  But while highly frowned upon, it was a Freedom of the press issue so not many formal complaints were filed, though some reporters would lose access now and then.

• Like 1

The press lying or misleading the public is done every day. Just listen to the sound bites for the evening news.

It is done on this forum every day; it’s what we do. We all put our own spin on the story based on our beliefs. Many issues are discussed where we are totally clueless to what truly happened; but we fill in the blanks based on how we want the story to end.

When you start editing video and audio; it is no longer credible. Yet we see it done here routinely.

It is up to the individual to find the facts… if they really care. If they don’t care, then they do the same thing the press does; put their spin on it and call it a day.

Lying being illegal? :bowrofl:

However; it is covered by civil laws if it damages someone. There are some criminal charges, lying to the cops (That wasn’t against the law when I was a cop, but I guess it is now?) and stolen valor is a couple of examples.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, 94user said:

They broke several laws. Will they be prosecuted?

You would never get a conviction from a jury for anyone involved other than the gun sellers.

(This is why I require a state issued ID for gun sales; state of residence and age is on me)

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:43 PM, crossfire said:

Nothing is fair in this world, maybe we need to remind some of our liberal friends of that fact.

To the best of my knowledge I don't have any Liberal friends to remind...............jmho

• Like 1

Can anyone still alive ever remember when the Press was honest and told the real News without lying? I remember my parents talking about watching the news during Vietnam and it was all edited in a way that made the Comunist look like saints and our troops look like trash.  My father would get so mad he almost threw a lamp at the TV. That is why our troops were treated like trash when we returned home and greeted at the Airport with eggs and tomatoes. ..............jmho

3 hours ago, 94user said:

Article is wrong on some points however:

"It is illegal to purchase a gun across state lines unless the transaction is processed through an FFL in the buyer’s home state":

False. You may buy long guns in another state from FFL with background check.

Further, in private transactions:

- an out of state buyer does not commit a crime until/unless he brings the firearm back into his state of residence.

-  the seller commits the immediate offense, but only if he knows or has reasonable cause to believe the buyer is an out of state resident, or otherwise prohibited

Under federal law, all gun purchases from an FFL must be accompanied by a federal background check. It doesn’t matter if the FFL sells a gun at a retail location, at a gun show, or out of the back of a car in a Wendy’s parking lot.

False. An FFL may sell a firearm from his private collection under same conditions as any other person.

Further, if sold under the auspices of the FFL license, he may only sell if from his licensed place of business or a gun show in the same state as his license.

- OS

• Like 1
18 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Can anyone still alive ever remember when the Press was honest and told the real News without lying? I remember my parents talking about watching the news during Vietnam and it was all edited in a way that made the Comunist look like saints and our troops look like trash.  My father would get so mad he almost threw a lamp at the TV. That is why our troops were treated like trash when we returned home and greeted at the Airport with eggs and tomatoes. ..............jmho

Did you have eggs and tomatoes thrown at you? Were you spit on? I served during Vietnam. Not once was I disrespected walking through an airport. When I went out at home in uniform; I couldn’t pay for a drink. Do I think that may have happened at protests or anti-war rallies? Sure, but the American people did not disrespect our military; at least not that I saw while in uniform in public. But then I wasn’t going to be spat on or have eggs thrown at me by anyone. And I also didn’t go for a walk in uniform around any anti-war protests.

Yes, the press can make some people believe whatever they want. But it doesn’t always require the press either; I know people that don’t believe Sandy Hook happened and that we didn’t land on the moon. Some people will believe anything, but that doesn’t mean most of us with at least average intelligence fall in line.

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Did you have eggs and tomatoes thrown at you? Were you spit on? I served during Vietnam. Not once was I disrespected walking through an airport. When I went out at home in uniform; I couldn’t pay for a drink. Do I think that may have happened at protests or anti-war rallies? Sure, but the American people did not disrespect our military; at least not that I saw while in uniform in public. But then I wasn’t going to be spat on or have eggs thrown at me by anyone. And I also didn’t go for a walk in uniform around any anti-war protests.

Yes, the press can make some people believe whatever they want. But it doesn’t always require the press either; I know people that don’t believe Sandy Hook happened and that we didn’t land on the moon. Some people will believe anything, but that doesn’t mean most of us with at least average intelligence fall in line.

As a matter of fact I did have a few tomatoes thrown at me but not as many as some I spoke with that did. I think a lot of it was determind by where you touched down. I had to go through Midway Airport in Chicago to catch my connecting flight to Nashville and all the trash talk was at MIdway. Once in Nashville we got a warm welcome.

• Like 1