Ohio Win - I Think

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I know it shouldn't be needed but it would be nice if TN managed to do the same thing. Ohio gun owners with a carry permit can skip NICS check. They still have to fill out 4473 but it doesn't get called in just but in dealer's records.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/05/robert-farago/ohio-concealed-handgun-license-approved-background-check/

Jim...

Georgia was doing this 20+ yrs. ago, don't know if it's still that way.

Considering the TN constitution doesn't allow the restriction on purchasing of arms, how does the state get away with having the TICS? I kinda understand carry permits under "with a view to prevent crime" (though, I could easily argue that it clearly does not prevent a single crime) but there is no such language that allows for any restrictions with regards to keeping (purchasing) arms. Could this maybe be submitted to the AG as a question to get some momentum in the correction direction?

3 hours ago, macville said:

Considering the TN constitution doesn't allow the restriction on purchasing of arms, how does the state get away with having the TICS? I kinda understand carry permits under "with a view to prevent crime" (though, I could easily argue that it clearly does not prevent a single crime) but there is no such language that allows for any restrictions with regards to keeping (purchasing) arms. Could this maybe be submitted to the AG as a question to get some momentum in the correction direction?

We also now have a law that no state effort is to be expended in enforcing any federal gun law that is not against TN state law. The TICS charge aside, the very fact that we are a primary contact state for the NICS would seem to violate that. Meaning, there is at least one provision on the 4473 that makes one ineligible to possess a firearm that is not a provision under TN law (non violent or druggie felons may possess long guns).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:41 AM, bvarnell said:

Georgia was doing this 20+ yrs. ago, don't know if it's still that way.

I bought several rifles in GA a few years ago and on one purchase they placed a 3 day hold on the sale.  A few hours later it was released.