Fish finders

I put a Lowrance Mark 5x pro in the dash of my boat. Other than depth, speed, and temperature, I find it pretty useless. It may be I don't understand it, but I just don't get much info from it.

I'd like to get another one for the front of the boat for fishing. If you have one you like, I'd like to hear about it. The many models and options boggle my mind.

What's your advice?

Like anything else, they come as complex and expensive as you want them. I was heavily into bass fishing for a few years, and I had the Lowrance HDS equipment on my boat, with down scan, side scan, gps, etc. Humminbird and Garmin are also in the game with similar equipment. The more you want them to do, and the larger screen you want, the more you can expect to pay.

I really liked the Lowrance HDS.

Of course, the trick is figuring out how to use the features once you have the sonar installed!

The boat I chartered for a deep sea fishing trip had a nice one, I forget the brand, but I could see my bait in the water. I think they cost about 5 grand. A little too rich for my blood!:eek: Especially considering I'd be mounting it on a 2 grand boat.:biglol:

Furuno maybe?

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
34 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The boat I chartered for a deep sea fishing trip had a nice one, I forget the brand, but I could see my bait in the water. I think they cost about 5 grand. A little too rich for my blood!:eek: Especially considering I'd be mounting it on a 2 grand boat.:biglol:

Furuno maybe?

That's kind like a $4000 set of tires and wheels on a $500 car.  See it all the time.  Go for it!!!!!:eek:

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

The current generation of Lowrance models with side scanning technology is really nice, and seems to be a decent value. I've got an older one on my boat, but am about to buy one of the newer ones for my kayak. 

• Like 1

Look at the Humminbird Helix, 5/7/9 if you are just wanting 2d, you can get 2d/DI/GPS is desired, but the cost goes up.  To be able to see your jig or bait on the screen and it's movement, along with a fish moving towards it you will need to adjust the sensitivity (increase) while out on the water.  You may have to adjust it everytime depending on water conditions.  You will only be able to see this situation when drop shoting/jigging in a stationary position.  The larger the screen the better the resolution and the ability to see what is on the screen, especially in DS/SI.  2d, not so much.  You tube has tons of videos on how to use 'em and set 'em up for different types of fishing.  

• Like 1

When I began bass fishing seriously and competing all we had was topo maps of the lakes. Then came the Lowrance and Hummingbirds soon followed by Garmin. I fished tournaments from 1980 till 2010 with a lot of success winning quit a few tournaments at the Semi-Pro level.  I still have a Skeeter Bass Boat but son in law uses it more than I do these days. The units I have on it are an Eagle 320 in dash and on the front and a Garmin GPS beside console. Son In Law asked me the other day if I would mind him upgrading the electronics on it. He is talking about spending over $4,000.00 on the things. He told me he would like to have some side views and all that high end stuff.

I ask him if he was having issues catching fish and competing and he said not at all. He has won about 7 or 8 weekend club tournaments already this Spring. He said he would like to see the fish that are around the boat. I said seeing them and catching them are 2 different things but he was not happy so I told him to do what he wanted up front and in dash but the Garmin GPS stays for when I use the Skeeter.  I won't even turn those fancy things on but I do have waypoints on that Garmin for both the local lakes I fish and I will use those to fish by. I guess I just live with the thought of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

• Like 1