Thinking about SiriusXM for car and tractor

I'm thinking about getting a SiriusXM radio that I can use in my old car (2000 Subaru) and also on my old Kubota tractor. I'm pretty sure I can handle mounting it and the antenna on my tractor, but is it hard to mount these things in a car? I'd just keep the existing radio, I guess, otherwise I'd have to fill the hole where it goes. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Edited by jgradyc

You can get 1 radio and multiple 'bases'. They usually re-transmit on an FM frequency, so you tune your car/tractor radio to an un-used FM freq., then set your Sirius to re-broadcast @ that freq. I had it in my 2 cars and home-system for several years like that, worked fine. I had 1 base in my car, one in the wife's, and one for my garage, but only had 1 unit/device and subscription.

- K

• Like 2
  • Moderators

My situation is a little different considering that I have a Sirius radio in my truck but I couldn't go without it ever again. It is one of the few things that keeps me even moderately sane out here on the road.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jgradyc said:

Thanks, I assume these SiriusXM radios will transmit to Bluetooth as well? That would be a plus.

Have yet to see one with Bluetooth. Its either FM transmit or most come with a wire to run into the auxiliary of your radio. I did have a car and home set up with the same radio. Been a XM person myself since about 2003 or so. 

At one time, I ran three devices and each device has to have it's own subscription.  I tried the one device in multiple vehicles but found that it wore the connections out quick (Had the Roadie) and had to keep buying new devices as a result.  That's when I bought three and just left em in the places I was using them.  Unless they have changed customer service, it is a loooong drawn out sales pitch to do one simple task.  I got so I hated to call.  You cannot suspend your subscription on a device via the internet account, you HAVE to call, and you should plan on wasting at least 15 minutes on "enticements" before you can actually achieve your goal of why you called.  One of the last times I called, I told the lady that I didn't want to hear any of the sales pitch, I called for this reason only and still she persisted in wasting my time and hers before my task was completed.

I had it set up to automatically bill every quarter, and when my card expired, I let the subscriptions go.  I sorta miss it, but sorta don't too.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Their content must be pretty good, because their business model amazes me.  

Meh on the content. I've got about 10 or so channels out of however many they offer. I just wanted to get away from 10 minute commercial breaks. I don't do the mobile app stuff. Nice on a 10 hour road trip to have your stations.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

Meh on the content. I've got about 10 or so channels out of however many they offer. I just wanted to get away from 10 minute commercial breaks. I don't do the mobile app stuff. Nice on a 10 hour road trip to have your stations.

Those 10 hour road trips are exactly why they have books on tape ...

I am not a fan though my wife loves hers, I just can't see paying to listen to the radio.  I have so much recorded music that I can plug my phone into my truck and listen to hours of music without having to pay to do so.  I actually like listening to the free radio stations with all the talk and commentary on my way to work, I get the weather, some local news and traffic reports in my 15 - 20 minutes each way.

My experience matches that of hardknox00001.

I joined when Howard switched, and kept that up for many years, but just finally it was too much, and I don't miss it all that much. It _is_ better than terrestrial radio, I'll grant them that, but not THAT much better that I'm willing to spend that cake nor put up w/ the BS.

I bought one when I had my touring bike and I swapped it out between the truck and the bike.  Then I got a subscription to Spotify and also started using the Podcast Addict app and the Overdrive app, which lets you listen to audio books for free.  Then I realized that I never listened to the XM anymore.  The Spotify is $10 a month but the subscription allows you to download your music.  With Spotify Free it uses your data if you don't have Wi-Fi.  Plus you can listen to what you want when you want.  I don't miss XM at all.  XM was costing me $18.50 a month when I cancelled it.  

My wife has it in the Yukon because it's available on the factory stereo. We keep the subscription because she loves it, and it's there. I like my regular FM in my truck. I don't mind the news/weather/traffic/morning talk/etc every now and then.

Whenever I dive theYukon, I usually find myself switching over to FM anyway, unless of course I get in the mood for some HairNation :rock:

Edited by Wingshooter

I absolutely love it. Worth the price to me to have stations tailored to exactly the kind of music i want to hear,  without tons of commercials. I also like being able to listen to Fox News, ESPN for football and basketball games, etc. I javent listened to regular FM in a few years.