Kinda stupid we can't renew HCP via Internet

:rant:Just a bit of a mini-rant.  I just renewed my driver's license online.  It took about five minutes and I got a confirmation to print in case my new license doesn't arrive before my old one expires.  While I was at it, I thought I'd check and see if my HCP (which expires in a few months) could also be renewed online.  Nope.  I think that is pretty stupid.  I mean, if we had to renew in person I might understand not being able to do so online but we can renew by mail so why not via the Internet?  I guess being able to quickly and easily renew online would just make staying legal to carry too easy.  Bad enough that we have to pay for the privilege to exercise our right to be equipped for self defense.  The state and the Department of Safety could at least give us this quick, easy option for doing so.

I'm pretty sure because you have to sign the application, under penalty of perjury, that you answered all the qualifying questions correctly. But they probably could come up with some way to do it electronically I'd think.

4 minutes ago, Fallguy said:

I'm pretty sure because you have to sign the application, under penalty of perjury, that you answered all the qualifying questions correctly. But they probably could come up with some way to do it electronically I'd think.

No, can't be that; even the anal IRS let's you submit without physical signature and try and use the non signature as a defense. They just haven't come around to doing it,  probably never crossed their minds yet.

On 6/4/2016 at 0:45 PM, Fallguy said:

I don't think that is it because you have to click a box when applying to renew your driver's license that is a similar thing - a statement that says something to the effect that you certify that this is your driver's license and that the information given is correct and I believe there is some indication of a penalty for providing false information although I can't remember the details.  In other words, pretty much the same thing as what you are talking about for the HCP.

On 6/4/2016 at 9:35 PM, DWARREN123 said:

HCP should be just an endorsement on license and not cost extra like other endorsements  Also would be nice to renew on line like said.

I am not sure I understand what you meant.  Are you saying that, unlike other endorsements, the HCP shouldn't cost extra or are you saying that other endorsements don't cost extra and neither should the HCP?  I ask because other endorsements do cost extra.  I have an 'F' endorsement on mine (or at lest had, not sure if it is still on there or not but it was for a former job so it doesn't really matter.)  When I got it and every time I renewed and kept it (in person), it was an extra five bucks.  I could handle five bucks whenever I renew my license better than fifty bucks every four years, though.

Edited by JAB

Took me longer to find my checkbook than to fill out the form. From the day I wrote the check it took 3 weeks to the day. Luckily for me the inkwell was still wet and found the quill.

• Like 1

I agree, you can click a box for an electronic signature most places anymore, no different here that I can see.  As usual, with the state, most issues just come down to money. If it's too easy they won't do it.