I can finally carry in South Carolina now

For most of y'all, this news is unimportant because South Carolina already recognized your TN permits.  As of yesterday, SC passed a law specifically granting reciprocity with Georgia and North Carolina.  Unlike Georgia's governor, Nikki Haley wasted no time in supporting the expansion of gun rights; she signed the law within days of it passing, and it became law immediately.

Previously, there was no legal way for a Georgia to carry outside a residence or vehicle in South Carolina.  Ostensibly, some RINOs in their legislature opposed reciprocity with Georgia because we do not have a training requirement.  However, even if a Georgian had a non-resident license from a state that does require training, SC still would not let us carry (they do not recognize non-resident permits, regardless of the requirements to obtain them).  Also, under SC law, you have to own property in SC to receive one of their permits, so a Georgian could not just go to SC and take one of their classes.  A group of us even invited a SC instructor to teach us the approved SC CWP class so that we could say we passed all of their requirements except being residents.    I took the course, got fingerprinted, and paid their fee for a permit; the only reason for rejection was that I did not own property in South Carolina.  This discrimination was the basis for a class action lawsuit against the state, but was put on hold while the legislature considered expanding reciprocity.  

During the bill's hearings, the amount of disparagement against Georgians by the Law Enforcement Division was sickening.  Based on their testimony, there will be blood flowing through the streets due to all the untrained Georgia yahoos carrying guns.

It took several years longer than it should, but now Georgians can legally carry in South Carolina.  Also South Carolinians can now carry in Georgia since Georgia automatically grants reciprocity to any state that recognizes our licenses.  So this year, Georgians got back more rights from another state than we did from our own state, thanks to our governor's backstabbing us.

Edited by dawgdoc
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It hurts even more when they won't even give you a chance.  I may not agree with it, but I understand that some states require training.  Yet even if I had that training, they still would not let me carry.  Someone on GeorgiaPacking.Org called it the New Jersey of the South, and looking at the list of prohibited places (any place that performs medical procedures, for example), they are not far off.

2 hours ago, NextExit said:

Aren't reciprocity laws great?  TN can carry in SC, IL can carry in SC, SC can carry in IL, TN can't carry in IL, but IL can carry in TN.  :surrender:

??? AFAIK, Illinois at least as yet does not honor any other state's permit?

- OS

29 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

??? AFAIK, Illinois at least as yet does not honor any other state's permit?

- OS

But if you have a permit from your state of residence you can carry inside the vehicle and outside if you are placing weapon in trunk.  Best thing is leave it inside car in glove compartment or console and lock doors.  Not perfect but helps crossing from MO to Kentucky.  Not sure if they recognize an out of state     permit to car carry or not.  Southern Illinois residents are working to get things perfected but are having to fight Chicago and Springfield.

9 minutes ago, NextExit said:

My bad. :blush:  I should've said that SC residents ( and also HI, NM, & VA) can get a non resident permit for Illinois.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/similarsummary.pdf

You are correct that the following residents can apply for non resident permits but the price of permits and training is expensive.  I try not to spend any money in Illiniois and I am just across the line from Cairo.  I no longer have to disarm to cross the bridge to KY and this is very nice.

1. Hawaii 2. New Mexico 3. South Carolina 4. Virginia

10 hours ago, deadeye111 said:

But if you have a permit from your state of residence you can carry inside the vehicle and outside if you are placing weapon in trunk.  Best thing is leave it inside car in glove compartment or console and lock doors.  Not perfect but helps crossing from MO to Kentucky.  Not sure if they recognize an out of state     permit to car carry or not.  Southern Illinois residents are working to get things perfected but are having to fight Chicago and Springfield.

Correct..........almost identical to TN law for non-permit possession in the vehicle, excluding long guns.

12 hours ago, deadeye111 said:

You are correct that the following residents can apply for non resident permits but the price of permits and training is expensive.  I try not to spend any money in Illiniois and I am just across the line from Cairo.  I no longer have to disarm to cross the bridge to KY and this is very nice.

1. Hawaii 2. New Mexico 3. South Carolina 4. Virginia

I'd go thru the hoops to get it if I could.  I have a LOT of relatives up there.  I used to live there years ago and it was easy to get an FOID card.  Only took about a week.  Couldn't carry but at least I could have a gun.  The taxes and cost of living there have gone thru the roof.  Get rid of Chicago and it would be a decent state.  Same with NY, get rid of everything south of I-84 and it would be decent (except for Nov-Feb).